3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I have a big problem with 89 Maxima... Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a big problem with 89 Maxima... Need Help!

I have a 1989 Maxima SE with automatic transmission. I've had this problem for two month and now the car is totally undrivable.
-THE PROBLEM-
While driving, the car suddenly slows down and starts shaking with rpm going up and down wildly, and not reacting to the gas pedal. At first, it used happen after about 2-5 minutes of driving from the time you start the engine and drive, and would go away after I switched the gears from D top P a few times or just turned off the engine for a minute and turned it back on. Then the same thing started happening more often and would not go away that fast(almost got into an accident) as the car would stop and start shacking at any time and at any speed. And finally, now the same thing happens even while the car is still on 'Park', and when I manage to get it running I can't slow down as it starts again when the car slows down..
Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2002, 08:47 PM

TRY A COMPLETE ENGINE TUNE UP, FULL UP WITH SUNOCO 94,OR ANOTHER BRAND OF 94 OCTANE AND WHEN YOU FILL UP ADD TEXTRON OR THE BEST FUEL ADDITIVE YOU CAN FIND AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF NOT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY OUT SOME $$$$$ FOR SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS! I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND THATS WHAT I DID.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:22 PM
Derek94SE

Try removing your MAFS wiring harness, cleaning the ends, and plugging it back in. That's what worked for most people who had this problem.

Derek
94 SE

Old 12-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Derek94SE
Try removing your MAFS wiring harness, cleaning the ends, and plugging it back in. That's what worked for most people who had this problem.

Derek
94 SE
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you please clarify what's MAFS wiring harness and where it could be found?
Old 12-02-2002, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Derek94SE

Derek
94 SE
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you please clarify what's MAFS wiring harness and where it could be found?
Old 12-03-2002, 10:01 AM

the problem is your Throttle Position Sensor or (TPS).

i had the same stalling issue with myn after i took my car to have the engine bay cleaned, and the car looked clean alright! but would unexpectedly start to stall and sort of wobble all the time.

after discussing with my uncle who ownes a car part company, he determined that the issue is my Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) The sensor 'tells' the computer where the gas pedal is located several
time every second. Is it all the way up, all the way down (floored) or
some place in the middle.
and when it is burned or mailfunctioning for some reason the computer simply cannot recognize the gas pedal movement and begins to wobble.

the installation is very simple.
the sensor is located on the front right side of the engine and you need to remove a screw, unplug the sensor, remove it, and put the new one instead.
that simple.
the car will respond kind of weird for few days while the computer resets the sensor automaticly, and thats it.

mechanic wanted 600$
part is about 60-80$ (i think i got myn from my uncle)
installed in less then 10 min!!!!

hope it helps.
good luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: I have a big problem with 89 Maxima... Need Help!

Originally posted by sash
I have a 1989 Maxima SE with automatic transmission. I've had this problem for two month and now the car is totally undrivable.
-THE PROBLEM-
While driving, the car suddenly slows down and starts shaking with rpm going up and down wildly, and not reacting to the gas pedal. At first, it used happen after about 2-5 minutes of driving from the time you start the engine and drive, and would go away after I switched the gears from D top P a few times or just turned off the engine for a minute and turned it back on. Then the same thing started happening more often and would not go away that fast(almost got into an accident) as the car would stop and start shacking at any time and at any speed. And finally, now the same thing happens even while the car is still on 'Park', and when I manage to get it running I can't slow down as it starts again when the car slows down..
Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Thanks in advance
Dont rule out exhuast manifold studs breaking either. Do a search for more info on this common problem.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Derek94SE

there are many different culprits for these stalling problems. They are pretty common in 3rd gens, and there are at least 2 types of the stalling. Some of the culprits that work for some and not for others include the TPS, the MAFS (sometimes, usually just the harness), the 02 sensor, and the ignition coils.

Your problem could be any one of the above.

-Derek
94 SE