3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

It Stinks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It Stinks

Hello fellow Maxers!

I have a 93 SE with 140K on it, and it smells awful rich!

It burns very rich and I can smell unburned fuel and sometimes it is so strong it almost smells like raw gas.
I have ran several tanks of injector cleaner and replaced the plugs. I also have tried replacing the Coolant Temp. sensor and plug as directed by the Nissan parts guy as being the most likely culprit. I have not changed the O2 sensor yet as I'm not getting a check engine light, but suspect that could be the problem. Or is it possibly bad injectors??? Mass flow air sensor??
It runs great, so I wasn't sure what could be causing this and hate to start buying 100 or more dollar parts in a trial and error game.

I also have replaced the Idle control motor as it crapped out and it would not idle. Only modification besides the VTC grounding is a Pop-Charger but it smelled before I installed that too.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old 12-04-2002, 07:57 AM

do you have black smoke?

is the car dumping fuel out of the exaust?, it could be your O2, because when that goes bad your engine light won't come on. If you unplug your O2 sensor and it starts running a little better then replace your O2... keep researching
-get some to lend you there MAF senosr and see if thats the problem, because the MAF sensor is a lot-o-money!
good luck..
Old 12-04-2002, 08:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: do you have black smoke?

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
is the car dumping fuel out of the exaust?, it could be your O2, because when that goes bad your engine light won't come on. If you unplug your O2 sensor and it starts running a little better then replace your O2... keep researching
-get some to lend you there MAF senosr and see if thats the problem, because the MAF sensor is a lot-o-money!
good luck..
No smoke... Thankfully!
Doesn't seam to dump fuel out of the exhaust but the odor is very strong there.....
So a bad O2 sensor won't light the light?? Nissan said it would (like they know anything or would tell it to ya)
ThanX !!
Old 12-04-2002, 08:47 AM
STFU n00b!

I actually unplugged my O2 sensor and drove 500 miles with it and the light never came on.

your problems are either 1: dead O2 sensor. (run an ECU diagnostic to find out. )
or, 2: the gallons of injector cleaner ruined the orifices in your injectors and they now spray WAY too much fuel since the chemicals in the cleaners are so harsh that they will eat the metal in the injectors and actually cause them to fail instead of simply cleaning them.

You might take the hint above and stop pouring injector cleaner through it. I've ruined two carbouretors and a couple of fuel injectors from that crap. the chemicals are just too harsh for the soft metals.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Matt93SE
I actually unplugged my O2 sensor and drove 500 miles with it and the light never came on.

your problems are either 1: dead O2 sensor. (run an ECU diagnostic to find out. )
or, 2: the gallons of injector cleaner ruined the orifices in your injectors and they now spray WAY too much fuel since the chemicals in the cleaners are so harsh that they will eat the metal in the injectors and actually cause them to fail instead of simply cleaning them.

You might take the hint above and stop pouring injector cleaner through it. I've ruined two carbouretors and a couple of fuel injectors from that crap. the chemicals are just too harsh for the soft metals.
Thanx Matt! I guess I should clarify that I have not poured excessive amounts of cleaner in. I have ran about 3 or 4 bottles through it over the last year, and I did follow the directions and did not double it or anything like that. I have always been a gear head type and do realize how damaging that stuff can be. This just happens to be my first time toying with cars that have O2 sensors and all that other computer related stuff. I'm an old V8 power guy who normally has never had to worry about those things.
Nissan ran a diag. on it and came back with some recommended 100K $795 dollar tune up thing, but never said anything about anything being bad.
I guess it's worth the hundred bucks to see
Old 12-04-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
i just pour in a bottle of injector cleaner...and now i read this now i'm startin to worry. so fuel injector cleaners is a no-no for our max or just go easy on that stuff?
Old 12-04-2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan

i just pour in a bottle of injector cleaner...and now i read this now i'm startin to worry. so fuel injector cleaners is a no-no for our max or just go easy on that stuff?
Let's put it this way, you will probably do more harm than good in the long run. Temporary results? Maybe. Long term, you will have injectors fail.

Dont worry, I have a ran a couple bottles through our 92SE, and it has 160K miles.

Just get ZMAX and a Tornado, that will help you.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by 5spd92SE
Just get ZMAX and a Tornado, that will help you.
riiiiiiiiight....and why don't i go get one of those ebay electric fan "turbochargers" and slap it on too? i'm sure i will see 100 hp gains
Old 12-04-2002, 04:27 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Old 12-04-2002, 07:34 PM

and yes i was only being sarcastic
Old 12-04-2002, 09:26 PM

Argh, my car just suffered the same problem. Strong gas smells, especially in my garage after I just put the car in. There's no smell when I first start it in the morning, suggesting that the problem happens when the engine's running. Also sometimes the smell comes into the car when the car's idling / not moving. Grrr!
Old 12-05-2002, 05:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Agamemnon
Argh, my car just suffered the same problem. Strong gas smells, especially in my garage after I just put the car in. There's no smell when I first start it in the morning, suggesting that the problem happens when the engine's running. Also sometimes the smell comes into the car when the car's idling / not moving. Grrr!
Yeah that's the one!! I notice it after comming to a stop, like a stop light or sign. It is strong enough to make me use the AC instead of the windows. And the garage peeeeeeeeeee-U after backing it in the whole garage stinks for an hour. I'm trying the O2 sensor this weekend and then I'll put up a closing post....
Old 12-29-2002, 12:25 PM

Maybe the charcol can

Have you guys ever checked the charcoal can underneath the battery?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Maybe the charcol can

Originally posted by jackflamer
Have you guys ever checked the charcoal can underneath the battery?
Haven't tried the the can, but I can tell you that the O2 sensor didn't solve the problem, so here is what I'm wondering.....
Tried the Following:
Coolant Sensor
O2 Sensor
New NGK Laser Platinum Plugs
New Idle control motor (because it wouldn't idle not because of smell)

Now what I found was no change after each, but when I removed the old plugs I inspected each carefully thinking that I may have had a bad injector or two. Each of the plugs were identical in color and smell TOO RICH.... So got me thinkin about the idle control motor and a mysterious little screw on the side of it... is it adjustable????
I was afraid to turn it as the idle control motor has coolant running through it and I thought it may just be some drain plug. Does anyone know whether the CPU controls everything or can you adjust the idle circuit mixture with this screw and butterfly stop???
Thanks and still stinkin
Old 01-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you sure that you aren't actually smelling raw gas? A fuel line can leak a little, evpaorate away, and smell like crazy. When you say that you are running rich, is there black smoke coming out of the exhaust? Gas on a plug (or several) may or may not be a sign, depending upon where the cylinder was in the firing sequence.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by David Bost
Are you sure that you aren't actually smelling raw gas? A fuel line can leak a little, evpaorate away, and smell like crazy. When you say that you are running rich, is there black smoke coming out of the exhaust? Gas on a plug (or several) may or may not be a sign, depending upon where the cylinder was in the firing sequence.
No it's not a leak I've triple checked for that. Besides the smell is more un-burned gas and not raw gas, although if it is idling when very cool outside temp for a while it smells more like raw gas. As for the plugs it was all of them not a few, and they were sure rich (according to a plug chart) and smelled extremely of gas... Don't know as the car runs great above idle and seems to idle fine. No noticeable black smoke. It's more embarrassing than anything else, besides I'm worried about fouling those high dollar plugs.