3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any ORIGINAL Owners Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 04:04 PM

Any ORIGINAL Owners Out There?

Just curious...
Are there any original 1989-1994 Maxima owners on here? I know that most of these cars are on their second, third and fourth owners, but I think that those of us who bought these cars originally are really members of an exclusive club.

I dunno... I thought maybe it would be interesting to hear from other members that have had a really long term relationship with their Maxima.

Kinda funny how under my user name is "newbie". As an owner since May 1989, nothing could be further from the truth!
Old 12-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Soul Fly

i am, kinda...it was my sister's car before mine. but still in the family...i'm just modifiying it. a '90 GXE

Old 12-12-2002, 06:36 PM

Well, I picked it out and talked my parents into buying it for themselves, now I've got it. At least its stayed in the family. I've known my 89 since she was new. So proud when it first came out and was the hottest thing with 4 doors. Got a couple of dates from High school cause of the car. Waxed it 4 times before prom night, then left the lights on and it wouldnt start after dinner! I was trying to push it out of the parking spot so I could get a jump and she was sitting there with the parking brake on, while I was busting my A$$ pushing and sliping with those tux rental shoes sliding on the pavement. LOL Anyway a lot of great memories. Oh yeah there was the first time I went airborne in a car too, it was over a little hump in the road that was winding uphill. I was flying up the road and hit the hump/dip and went airborne for a couple of seconds,left my foot on the gas and the engine revvd up and spun the tires when they hit the ground. All of this was in my younger/dumber years.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:23 PM

my car was my sister's for the first few years of it's life. we bought it new in april of 93. Since then it has been in ~30 accidents ( all of them being b/c of my sister, i only had one accident with it and i wasn't even in the car when it happened) All the body panels have been replaced at one time or another, and it also has a new motor in it. The only thing orignal i can think of that this car has is the transmission and the seats....... That car has been through so much......
Old 12-13-2002, 10:09 AM

same as 89sks - told my parents to get it, took ift from the after college, plan on keeping it til it dies.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:36 AM
mxo

Yup - I bought a '94 GXE in early '94. It now has only 69k miles on it, though, so it has been just broken-in.

I could've bought a '95 by waiting a few months, but I didn't want to buy a 1st model year of 4th gen, and I liked the 'somewhat square' styling. I also got a very good discount because the dealer wanted to clear the lot for new shipment. I haggled quite a bit, had the sales manager come out, then knocked off one more dollar (serious). I learned from my father that unless the sales manager comes out, you haven't knocked the price down enough yet.

Almost sold it this summer, but after having it detailed and waxed, it looked too good to let go, so turned down offers and kept it.

I have a friend who has a '93 GXE with 132k miles and going strong, also an original owner.

Old 12-13-2002, 11:06 AM

Yep, had it since new in Nov 1991 (92 model).

156k miles of pur driving fun..
Old 12-14-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Any ORIGINAL Owners Out There?

I have a 93 MAX SE (5spd) that I purchased new; I have driven the car hard since day one. Before that I had an 89 MAX SE and traded it in for the 93. I also bought a used 90 SE and a used 96 GXE for two of my former girl friends but those cars left with the girlfriends. My 93 has 118,000 miles on it and still runs very good. Never had any crashes and not many major problems. I just did the CV boots, I had to replace an exhaust manifold because I was towing a boat for 1500 miles at about 90 mph and I think I warped the old one. I replaced an alternator recently. I keep the car stock; I like it that way. I just got my fourth set of V rated tires. (The SE in 93 came with V rated tires) The BOSE system gives me headaches from time to time but it still works... Except for the CD player ... I'm having that fixed next week. My windshield washer fluid motor just died so I'll have to have that looked at too. I get most of my work (but not the bose system) done at the dealer and get a 10% discount on any parts and labor because I have been such a long time customer. But even with the discount dealer work still costs a fortune. Josh from Tampa....
Old 12-14-2002, 09:39 AM

91 Auto

128k, bought new, broken in PROPERLY by my father, then driven by my mother until 2 years ago. We all know how well mothers drive, so the condition is near excellent. Now she drives 2000 I30, my dad has the new turboed C230(he jumped the Nissan train and went Benz booooooo) anyways, like most other 3rd gens, the only problems we've had(before I jumped it) were the power windows and the clock. These are great cars, Ima keep it for my "family" car, and in a couple years get me a new SE-R. I guess driving a Max kinda makes you like 4 doors huh?
Old 12-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Original owner of 90 SE

We bought my wife's 90 SE in July 1990. She has absolutely loved every minute of it! It survived three teenagers who loved to drive it too (great power), and the oldest son had to totally wipe out his savings account to pay the speeding ticket he got rolling down the highway with his favorite tunes shaking the walls with the Bose stereo...taught him how to use the cruise control after that. It has less than 100k on it, but we aren't exactly sure how much as one of our frustrations in the past few years has been an intermittent problem with the odometer stopping turning for several miles, then restarting. Now the speedo is doing the same thing. And I think the OEM Bose stereo is toast -- wonder how much trouble it is to replace the head unit with something that will work with the OEM speakers? ...I have had the unit out once several years ago when half of the gas display quit ... I'm afraid the amps may give me some problems with anything I put in.

Paul R
Old 12-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup, I have had a 1990 SE since 12 miles and it now has over 210,000. It is still going strong and I am going to give it to my brother when the 2004 comes out.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

Yup i have had my 1994 gxe since day 1
Old 01-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

91 since new...3 miles on the clock. still talk to the salesman that sold me the car...he's selling hondas now.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:42 AM
jreddington

Yep,

92 SE five speed with leather. On the VTC score, just rebuilt them at 110k miles (been clacking since about 80k). Hate to hear on earlier post that others have had to do multiple repairs/replacements.

Only other annoying problem has been with the BOSE system. Original dealer installed Sony CD replaced soon after purchase under warrantee. Have had to have it repaired three times since then (CDs stop ejecting). Had the cassette transport fixed twice and dead electronics fixed once. One speaker rebuilt by BOSE through dealer at $200 and the other one is now going. Also power antenna replaced. Had clock repaired by contact through this board for much less dollars than buying replacement.

Still on original clutch. Brakes done once and due again. Rear calipers had to be replaced in last brake job. Both front axel boots replaced. Independant shop wanted to replace axels for big bucks. Local dealership service shop replaced boots for less than 1/2 cost and said as long as you catch it early enough original axels should have many miles left on them. Other major work is replacement of rotted front pipe.

All in all, at this many miles, I guess not too bad repair wise. But should I sell it before the VTCs start clacking again?

Jim R.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:49 PM

my mom/dad bought it new in 1989, GXE. they had it for 9yrs & then as a form of transportation after my separation i took it for 2yrs. 6 months after i took it, the AUTO died, 2nd & 4th gear were gone. all i could do was take off & cruise in 1st & 3rd. then the belts broke & that thru the harmonic balancer went out of whack & that destroyed the crank - i had 3 shops tell me about the crank, a 2 import shops & Nissan. so i took $500 for a trade-in on my 2000 Honduh Accorn, i miss that V6. more room, smoother ride & better acceleration, my 11yr old car was better than a new car - gotta laff, & shed a tear.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by jreddington

All in all, at this many miles, I guess not too bad repair wise. But should I sell it before the VTCs start clacking again?

Jim R.
yup. sell it. I'll buy it from you.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, I'm an original owner of all three (3rrd generation Max's).

1990 SE (30k miles)
1992 SE (10k miles)
1993 SE (150k miles)
Old 02-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Any ORIGINAL Owners Out There?

I'm also a kinda new user. I bought my dads '94 Maxima last year. He kept it serviced regularly and with only 80k it's in great shape. Had a Ford Taurus wgn. before, no comparison! The only forum for Taurus was a complaint site!
Just curious...
Are there any original 1989-1994 Maxima owners on here? I know that most of these cars are on their second, third and fourth owners, but I think that those of us who bought these cars originally are really members of an exclusive club.

I dunno... I thought maybe it would be interesting to hear from other members that have had a really long term relationship with their Maxima.

Kinda funny how under my user name is "newbie". As an owner since May 1989, nothing could be further from the truth! [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 02-04-2003, 03:26 PM
No turbo, no care!

Bought my 89 max new in 88 in California, and brought it with me when I moved to Chicago in 94. Ive owned several other cars, but its still my favorite, and currently my daily driver (It has been the majority of the 15 years Ive owned it) It currently has 190,000 miles.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:46 PM

my parents bought our max off the lot in '89. i really love the car, i grew up with it. when we bought it, my feet didnt even touch the floor when i sat in the back seat. took many family vacations in it, learned to drive in it, drove like a hooligan all through high school in it, and now its with me at college. my parents handed it down to me last year. i dont plan on selling it at any price, when it dies, ill look elsewhere. 14 years old, 108k miles, and still in the family!