3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen, Good first car investment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Ohz

3rd Gen, Good first car investment?

I've been shopping around for a car for some time now. I definitely want a Max because I'm 6'6" and just plain love the car in all it's iterations.

I've run across several 3G cars in my area for damn cheap and it would be really nice to buy one outright for half of what a down payment alone would run for a newer car.

Question is...Is a 3G with right around 100k miles for 3-5k a good investment? The reliability rating from carpoint scared me a bit...

-Carpoint-

An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Engine Control (ECCS) Relay and the Variable Timing Control (VTC) Intake Camshaft Sprockets (VE30DE engine only), and a periodic problem is failure of the Crank Angle Sensor. Failure of the ECCS Relay or the Crank Angle Sensor will prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the ECCS Relay is estimated at $30.00 for parts and $45.50 for labor.The cost to repair the VTC Intake Camshaft Sprockets is estimated at $30.80 each for parts (total of 2) and $390.00 (one bank) or $552.50 (both banks) for labor.The cost to repair the Crank Angle Sensor is estimated at $492.06 for parts and $52.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Electronic Control Unit (ECU).The cost to repair the ECU is estimated at $693.58 for parts and $32.50 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Periodic problems on this vehicle are failures of the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the Speedometer (analog).The cost to repair the Vehicle Speed Sensor is estimated at $94.23 (Manual Transmission) or $97.16 (Automatic Transmission) for parts and $32.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Speedometer is estimated at $171.26 for parts and $84.50 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

---

I know that part and labor prices are generally hugely inflated and I plan to grab the Haynes/Chilton manuals for whatever I buy. I certainly wouldn't mind DIY tasks (just don't have any experience) but I'd hate to wind up in over my head with an older car that's difficult to maintain...

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mainly the 3rd gen weaknesses (that i know of) are:

89-91 auto trannies are crappy and go out quite often. mine went out and cost 1800 to fix.

92-94 se with the VE30DE engine:
VTC problems are pretty common. can easily cost over 1500 to fix but the noises can stop if you ground them. it doesn't really fix it but it works.
knock sensor goes bad sometimes which hinders performance when the engine warms up

right now that's all that i can think of. i would look for a 5 speed no matter what. i don't trust auto trannies at all and 5 speeds are just more fun to drive anyways.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: 3rd Gen, Good first car investment?

Originally posted by Ohz
I've been shopping around for a car for some time now. I definitely want a Max because I'm 6'6" and just plain love the car in all it's iterations.

I've run across several 3G cars in my area for damn cheap and it would be really nice to buy one outright for half of what a down payment alone would run for a newer car.

Question is...Is a 3G with right around 100k miles for 3-5k a good investment? The reliability rating from carpoint scared me a bit...

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at this link. Its the list of stuff we have replaced/fixed on our 92 SE. These are the type of things you can expect to go wrong, or have go wrong on a Maxima SE with 100K miles or so.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=167156

And to answer your question, no its not a good investment. But is a car EVER a good investment? No. (Unless its a classic or something)

If you are looking for reliability, I would look into Integra's of the same year. But not much can beat the performance of the SE for the price. Its your call.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:23 AM

3rd Maximas are good cars, and generally reliable. But keep in mind that it used to be a semi-luxury car and was a bit expensive when new, so the reason they're so affordable now is because they're old. Hence the many problems reported here. Though remember that people don't post if they have no problems! So you generally hear only the bad news here. Compared to other cars of the same age, though, Maximas are considered pretty reliable.

For a first car, maybe you should consider smaller, entry-level sedans. Cars like the Nissan Sentra, Mazda 323/Protege, etc. You'll get newer models with fewer miles for the same price as a Maxima, thus better reliability. Plus better gas mileage! Of course you would sacrifice size, comfort, power, etc. Though at 6'6" I don't know if you would even fit comfortably in one of these cars! Try before you buy.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yeah, some people have problems with just about any car. almost ever car has it's share of lemons. my 89 was also my first car. except for repairs that just come naturally with age, it's done exceptionally well and has 250k miles on it. btw, definitely get a 5-spd as someone recommended before. you'll be grateful that you did. if you want assurance, just go test drive an auto and a manual yourself.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Consider the GXE for reliability

Sure a GXE isn't quite as fast stock compared to a SE but the reliability of the engine is better.

As was already mentioned get the 92-94 year for the better tranny. I got my 92GXE with 92,000 miles and after being repaired from a wreck. Now I'm up to 170,000 miles and the only thing I have had go bad on this car that absolutly needed replacing was a fuel injector.

Also keep in mind that most cars at 100k miles are probably going to need maintenance items such as struts, tires, timing belt, water pump, alternator and other items. It all just depends on the condition obviously.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: Consider the GXE for reliability

Originally posted by adamis
Sure a GXE isn't quite as fast stock compared to a SE but the reliability of the engine is better.

As was already mentioned get the 92-94 year for the better tranny. I got my 92GXE with 92,000 miles and after being repaired from a wreck. Now I'm up to 170,000 miles and the only thing I have had go bad on this car that absolutly needed replacing was a fuel injector.

Also keep in mind that most cars at 100k miles are probably going to need maintenance items such as struts, tires, timing belt, water pump, alternator and other items. It all just depends on the condition obviously.
I agree that a 92-94 GXE as a first car would probably be a good idea. I haven't heard of the GXE having many common problems. I haven't had anything major wrong with my SE, but at the same time I don't put a lot of mileage on my car so that helps a bit.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:01 AM

6'6"? Ha!

Originally posted by Agamemnon
Though at 6'6" I don't know if you would even fit comfortably in one of these cars! Try before you buy.
I'm 6'8" and have no problems sitting comfortably or getting in or out (and no, it doesn't look like I'm trying to get out of a clown car...). I like to scare people like that, though. They think I'm like 5'9" to be able to get in and out. When they try to pick fights and I get out, I like to watch the look on their face change. They usually stutter something like, "Dude, I was just messin' with ya..."

BTW: I wasn't actually laughing at you being 6'6", just at anyone who thinks we tall guys can't get in and out of cars like Maximas...
Old 12-20-2002, 03:54 PM

Ya there so comfortable to drive in man I love mine. Im 6'3" and I fit greeat the guy before me was 6'5" and he said thats the reason he bought the car in 89 because it was so comfortable and he fit in it well.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:52 PM

Every Maxima I know of around here that are 3rd gens have well over 200K miles. Like that one guy said, if your not having problems, you dont have any reason to post :-P
I know of 2 3rd gens with 260K+ miles. One came through the dealership the other day.
Thats why I just bought one.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:59 PM

from my side, get something with a VE or 93-94 model. i had a 90 se and had nothing but problems. Nothing major other than the exaust studs, but hoses and repairs hit me all at the same time, it seemed like something broke every month on it for the 3 years i owned it. If i had to do it over again i wouldve held out for a 93-94 ve 5 speed.