3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 07:08 AM

Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

Ok
any I dea why I'm getting a noise from my car that acts just like the alt noise from your stereo?? With my system out and no power to my amps this noise still exists. It goes up and down right along with the reving of my engine just like a poorley grounded stereo would do. It's been like this for the longest time but I've been too lazy to fix it. Any ideas????
Old 12-19-2002, 04:38 PM

Re: Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

Man I'm surprised, all the experts must be away for the holidays. :attention
Old 12-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

hey Les remember how my car sounded with the manifold leak?? does it sound like that? where exactly is the noise coming from...

Originally posted by dat_nomad
Man I'm surprised, all the experts must be away for the holidays. :attention
Old 12-20-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

Originally posted by DA-MAX
hey Les remember how my car sounded with the manifold leak?? does it sound like that? where exactly is the noise coming from...

Sup Dog,

Yeah i remember that sound your car had (supercherger ). Naw this is more like an electrical wine, but it's coming from the engine bay. If I had my stereo in I would swear it was alternator wine but the system is not on and has no power. I regounded the engine, the alt (which still has problems ) and the battery to chasis.
the engine and the battery now boast a nice stinger 0 guage wire to chasis, (all of which have been sanded down for good connection) and the alt has a nice 4 guage stinger wire. The noise has all the same charecteristics of the stero noise but no stero and not from speakers.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

I'm surprised no one ever answered this post.
I guess it's a mystery.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine is a '90 SE (5-spd also) and I just noticed it doing the same thing. I personally suspect the tranny is making the noise. I found when I moved the shifter a little while driving I could alter the noise, or almost get it to go away. I just had my clutch done, and because of that I have new trans fluid, so I know fluid isn't the problem.
I know I didn't solve anything here - just relating my experience and a possible cause of the noise.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

Originally posted by dat_nomad
Ok
any I dea why I'm getting a noise from my car that acts just like the alt noise from your stereo?? With my system out and no power to my amps this noise still exists. It goes up and down right along with the reving of my engine just like a poorley grounded stereo would do. It's been like this for the longest time but I've been too lazy to fix it. Any ideas????
do you have rca connectors that are made of steel around the connector?then they are touching a part of the steel frame of the car underneath the dash or somewhere in the trunk....just tape them and voila!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: Engine noise/ wine ( with radio off)

Originally posted by pepine

do you have rca connectors that are made of steel around the connector?then they are touching a part of the steel frame of the car underneath the dash or somewhere in the trunk....just tape them and voila!!!
your forgetting even with the system totally out the car I get this noise. It definately IS NOT from the stereo. It is coming from the bay. I might have an electrical problem of some kind.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:08 PM
rustangkilla

Originally posted by shvelle
Mine is a '90 SE (5-spd also) and I just noticed it doing the same thing. I personally suspect the tranny is making the noise. I found when I moved the shifter a little while driving I could alter the noise, or almost get it to go away. I just had my clutch done, and because of that I have new trans fluid, so I know fluid isn't the problem.
I know I didn't solve anything here - just relating my experience and a possible cause of the noise.
Mine makes the exact same noise, but only in first gear. And just as you described, I can make it go away by moving the shifter a little. Puzzling. Any diagnoses??

Old 02-06-2003, 01:18 PM

If I had to guess? I think it's just normal wear and tear within the transmission. The gears aren't meshing as closely as they would have when new. Not sure there's anything you can do about it, barring buying a brand new trans? I suggest a louder stereo as the solution...
Old 02-06-2003, 06:27 PM

a few days ago someone had a similar problem and changing the alternator fixed it...hope this helps
Old 02-06-2003, 06:55 PM
rustangkilla

Originally posted by drstillpatient
a few days ago someone had a similar problem and changing the alternator fixed it...hope this helps
What does the alternator have to do with the transmission and shifter noise? Do you have a link to that post?

Old 02-06-2003, 07:43 PM

The alternator has nothing to do with shifter noise, rustangkilla. I think drstillpatient was just responding to the original post - offering another suggestion as to the cause of dat_nomad's problem.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by rustangkilla

What does the alternator have to do with the transmission and shifter noise? Do you have a link to that post?
i dont think it has any connection...i was only informing you someone had similar prob...

anyhow...if you;re sure its shifter noise...(i assume you have a 5-speed) then it might be the shifter bracket...its a problem on the 5speeds...there is a rubber mount that holds the shifter in place...its right above the heat shield so overtime (like 12-13 years) the rubber stiffens and eventually breaks...

me and some other 5 speed owners had this problem sometime ago...IF and i say IF its the same problem then u'll need a new shifter bracket ($28 at courtesy nissan). the sympoms were that u could hear a whine/grind while driving and moving the shifter changed/reduced it.
the post for this one was titled "nissan's poor material choices" i think..thats all i remember.

AGAIN...thats all assuming its for sure that shifter noise AND if you have a 5 speed. just another attempt to help you...

p.s. thanks for the clarification shvelle
Old 02-06-2003, 08:30 PM
rustangkilla

Originally posted by drstillpatient

i dont think it has any connection...i was only informing you someone had similar prob...

anyhow...if you;re sure its shifter noise...(i assume you have a 5-speed) then it might be the shifter bracket...its a problem on the 5speeds...there is a rubber mount that holds the shifter in place...its right above the heat shield so overtime (like 12-13 years) the rubber stiffens and eventually breaks...

me and some other 5 speed owners had this problem sometime ago...IF and i say IF its the same problem then u'll need a new shifter bracket ($28 at courtesy nissan). the sympoms were that u could hear a whine/grind while driving and moving the shifter changed/reduced it.
the post for this one was titled "nissan's poor material choices" i think..thats all i remember.

AGAIN...thats all assuming its for sure that shifter noise AND if you have a 5 speed. just another attempt to help you...

p.s. thanks for the clarification shvelle
Cool. I appriciate your help, I was just unclear on that last post You dont happen to have a part number on that bracket do you??

THanks!

Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by rustangkilla

Cool. I appriciate your help, I was just unclear on that last post You dont happen to have a part number on that bracket do you??

THanks!
yeah the part number is 34560-51E05.

you can check the bracket by removing the plastic trim piece around the shifter and remove the dust boot beneath it. The bracket is like 4x3inch rectangular metal piece with a piece of rubber going across it. that rubber may be broken.
good luck!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:45 AM

interesting suggestions guys I might give that a try cause i need a new bracket but this noise is still coming from the "front " of the vehicle. (reletive to my position in the drivers seat.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:54 AM

Ahhh...., but keep in mind that where your shifter is, is not where your transmission is. The tranny is right about where you said the noise seems to be originating from (driver side under hood). If the shifter bracket were the cause here, then that could allow additional tension to be placed on the shifting mechanisim, which would then add friction to the gears - causing additional noise.
Bear in mind that I'm not saying this as fact - just as a possible connection between the two.
I'll definately be removing my console to check that bracket once the weather warms up - the noise is annoying!