3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 05:00 PM

? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

Hey guys,

I am considering changing my timing belt/water pump, camshaft and crankshaft seals, Thermostat and radiator hoses on my 89 VG. I was thinking with the money I saved by doing it myself that I could go ahead and get the UDP for the car. Question is will I notice a difference? Better yet will my wife!? I dont want to spend $189 and have it seem like a waste of money. BTW the maxima is an auto. We plan on keeping the car for a real long time, was my parents car. Much cheaper to keep it going having no payments than getting something we can afford that used and still have to maintain that with payments. Whats the typical HP gain or as some would say how much HP is freed up? Generally how much hp increase is needed to be noticed while driving? I added an HKS exhaust to my 87 RX& that was supposed to add 10-15 or so and I really noticed a difference and was quite pleased. Basically is the UDP worth the money? What are your folks experience with it?

Many thanks,
Old 02-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Ford Only.

Re: ? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

I am not a VG owner, but I can tell you it is worth it, I have heard it from many VG owners.

You should be able to get it for less than $189. try...

www.rpmoutlet.com
www.optionsautosalon.com
www.stillen.com
www.courtesynissan.com

you should be able to search also and find the cheapest place, you should get it for around $100
Old 02-09-2003, 05:15 PM

Re: Re: ? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

Originally posted by dmontzmax
I am not a VG owner, but I can tell you it is worth it, I have heard it from many VG owners.

www.rpmoutlet.com
www.optionsautosalon.com
www.stillen.com
www.courtesynissan.com

you should be able to search also and find the cheapest place, you should get it for around $100
Thanks for the help! Actually Courtesy has it for $189 for the VG I checke UR homesite and its $235! So you get a noticable increase, that would be good. Gonna check some of the url's out!
Again,
Thanks
Old 02-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: ? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

Originally posted by dmontzmax

www.rpmoutlet.com
www.optionsautosalon.com
www.stillen.com
www.courtesynissan.com

actually, no you cant get it retail for cheaper than 189 that I know of

VE UDPs are made by ASP and are a lot cheaper ($110ish now). VG have the UR pulley
Old 02-09-2003, 05:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: ? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

actually, no you cant get it retail for cheaper than 189 that I know of

VE UDPs are made by ASP and are a lot cheaper ($110ish now). VG have the UR pulley
Craig, did you notice a difference with yours? Thanks for the help!
Old 02-09-2003, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ? 4 VG owners with UR UDP is it worth it?

Originally posted by 89sks

Craig, did you notice a difference with yours? Thanks for the help!
seems to rev faster, not a HUGE difference, but a little something there

it's been dyno proven for about 10hp or so which is pretty good for the price
Old 02-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If all you're going to get is the UDP then screw it, but if youre **** about performance and expect to put in more then yes, it's a nice start.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
If all you're going to get is the UDP then screw it, but if youre **** about performance and expect to put in more then yes, it's a nice start.
Im not too **** about it, I dont expect a whole lot from a VG auto. I was just wondering if it was worth it for the price since I was thinking of doing the timing belt myself and would already have things apart. I was just thinking about the same thing you suggested that by itself it would be a small gain but its only when you do several things that they all add up together to give you the more noticable gain. The car is completely stock right now except for a K&N air filter and modified airbox. Maybe, someday, Maybe I'd put a y pipe on it but by then I might just go ahead and get a used sports car like a 300Z or Rx7.

Any particular suspension mod recommended for around $200? That might be more noticable and more of a safety feature.
Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by 89sks

Im not too **** about it, I dont expect a whole lot from a VG auto. I was just wondering if it was worth it for the price since I was thinking of doing the timing belt myself and would already have things apart. I was just thinking about the same thing you suggested that by itself it would be a small gain but its only when you do several things that they all add up together to give you the more noticable gain. The car is completely stock right now except for a K&N air filter and modified airbox. Maybe, someday, Maybe I'd put a y pipe on it but by then I might just go ahead and get a used sports car like a 300Z or Rx7.

Any particular suspension mod recommended for around $200? That might be more noticable and more of a safety feature.
Thanks guys!
If you're looking for safety, pads and rotors would be better probably, but you could get springs for under $200.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:12 AM

You can get Sprint springs for about $160 shipped from SouthWest Autoworks. That's a 1.8" drop so you'll definitely be able to corner better, plus it'll eliminate any gap between the fender and wheels.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
You can get Sprint springs for about $160 shipped from SouthWest Autoworks. That's a 1.8" drop so you'll definitely be able to corner better, plus it'll eliminate any gap between the fender and wheels.

Are those progressive springs, and what kind of shocks would I need to get to go with them? If I've changed the front struts and rear leaf springs on a tacoma would I be able to handle the maxima?

Old 02-10-2003, 11:01 AM

They're linear not progressive, so spring rate changes not. Search for shocks, personally, I'm going with the Konis which you can get for about $500 shipped from SWA. And you can do the install yourself if youve got a spring compressor and know how to do it right, otherwise you should send it to a reputable shop that knows what they're doing. I can't remember who, but there was a member on here that complained about the ride quality on his Sprints because they weren't compressed right.

Hope that helps you out.