3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

got my car back........it still hesheshesitates!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 12:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

got my car back........it still hesheshesitates!

it went 35 miles and then it started acting up again. it's driving me insane.....i just want to yank the steering wheel and drive straight in to a concrete gurder but i'm afraid it will hesitate and i'll only get injured.

anyway, my mechanic changed the MAF sensor and said it probably wouldn't fix it and then went on to say that the only way he would probably be able to fix it is if it messes up permanently. he said the hesitation is so sporadic that his computer won't pick up the problem quick enough.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:17 AM

Re: got my car back........it still hesheshesitates!

Originally posted by 00RedGTS
it went 35 miles and then it started acting up again. it's driving me insane.....i just want to yank the steering wheel and drive straight in to a concrete gurder but i'm afraid it will hesitate and i'll only get injured.

anyway, my mechanic changed the MAF sensor and said it probably wouldn't fix it and then went on to say that the only way he would probably be able to fix it is if it messes up permanently. he said the hesitation is so sporadic that his computer won't pick up the problem quick enough.
Driving it into a concrete barrier wont solve anything and your insurance will go up.

Do a search on this site, and you will find a list of items to check.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:48 AM

Re: Re: got my car back........it still hesheshesitates!

Originally posted by 5spd92SE

Driving it into a concrete barrier wont solve anything and your insurance will go up.

Do a search on this site, and you will find a list of items to check.
yea.. seach around get ideas what could be wrong... WHATS is it doing besides hesetating??? smoke? sounds? smells
Old 12-20-2002, 03:11 PM

Drive into a concrete barrier and you'll start hesitating yourself!

Yeah the hesitating thing is maddening as hell. There is a lot of topics around here about it, for sure, but unfortunately no definite answer yet. Some people have claimed they get rid of it by replacing one thing or another, but then others who did the same found no cure. So, it's still a mystery.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nothing smells or stinks and i took him some forum topics like Ignition coils, O2 sensor, MAF and other things. hopefully next time i take it in he'll be able to fix it.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello. I don't know if you got your hesitation fixed yet. BUT, Mine would hesitate also, it would be intermittent but would almost always do this on acceleration from stops. Since I can't leave well enough alone, I also swapped my MAF, full tune, all fluids, all filters except the tranny filter (auto) cause it's a PITA! I made it runn better and found a few problems along the way like my intake manifold was leaking vacuum. After I fixed all that and did all the maintenance tune up that I could, the damn thing STILL hesitated on accelerations from complete stops. Just for the heck of it I had a thought that perhaps the engine idle was too low, not like I know what it should be, but I found the idle screw on the passenger side of the engine under the throttle body. I had to loosen a small tightening bolt to move the throttle stop screw. I bumped up the idle about half a turn or so, my guage now reads about 900 rpms or so. Test drove the car and hey, the hesitation is gone. Yeah, when I take my foot of the brake it idles forward just a hair sooner cause of the slightly higher idle, but if I stomp on it from a dead stop, the car now jumps ahead so quick it does not have time to hesitate. I hope that this helps you. good luck. - Mr.Mike!
Old 01-18-2003, 10:46 PM

mine doing the same thing and my mechanic said the same thing about not being able to fix it till it does it permenitly, but he does seem to think i could be the crank angle censor so i'm trying to hunt down a cheap one. oh yeah and I know what you mean about wanting to jerk the wheel and run into something it's very frustraiting and embarassing
Old 01-18-2003, 11:52 PM

tried to check your thruttle position sensor???

that did it for me when i was experiencing the same issue.

good luck.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i took it to the dealer

i took it to the dealer and they fixed it for about 150 miles.....i was elated.......but then it messed up. they put a new ground wire on the MAF.......another mechanic had replaced the MAF a couple of weeks earlier. anyway, i may just live with it for a while. i'll make notes and tell the dealer or my mechanic the next time i take it in but i'm not shelling out more $$$ to trouble shoot something they can't find.

needless to say, this is very frustrating.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What part of the world are you in? If you are anywhere around S.E. Washington State - Kennewick to be exact, I will be more than happy to adjust the base idle and bump it up for you. That worked for me, and has continued to work because it is a physical adjustment. Infact I was enjoying my max this morning, I went out for a coffee and was zipping around traffic with no hesitation. Anyway, let me know. Now I'm off to fix my antenna and try and get my clock to stop dimming out on me. Talk to you later. Oh, one more thing. Does it hesitate on you with your air conditioner on. I know it is cold out, but bundle up and turn your a/c on and see if that helps.

The same goes for the rest of you maxers out there. If you are close to the Tri-Cities, drop me an e-mail and I'll bump your idle up for you too. It's worth a shot and does not cost you anything.

Talk to you all later -
Mr.Mike!
Old 01-19-2003, 08:41 PM

IACV or TB
Old 01-23-2003, 03:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had the same problem with my '92 SE, What my dealership found to be the problem was that the ignition coils were faulting. When he would drive it his diagnostic onboard computer would go blank when the car faulted. We changed everything from O2 sensors to MAF, and finally with new ignition coils the problem so far has stopped. Going on three days trouble free.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hesitation

wasup guys... listen mine does the same thing. u think may be is the type of fuel you put in? you think by me putting some injectors cleaner and put preimeum fuel in it would help?
Old 02-02-2003, 11:12 AM

If your car si SE 1992-1994, I think probably it's caused by the
faulty of ignition coils.
Like the other cars the ignition wire needs to be replaced, our coils
also need to be replaced after 10 years. Or they can not generate
the high enough voltage and let your car stall/hesitate.
You can go to Wal-Mart and buy a bottle of "#104 Gas Booster" and add
it to your gas tank when you refill the gas. If there is no stall
after you do this, probably the coils are bad.
Why? Because the booster burns for a little longer time. So it can
compensate the misfires of some cylinders.
Good luck!

Old 02-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well, for some strange reason the car hasn't messed up lately. i haven't done anything differently but the problem has slowly vanished.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:21 PM

hesitation

well mine is a 90se, you think it can still be the ignition coil? i'm goin to buy new sp wires what kind of wires should i get? what voltage?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: hesitation

Originally posted by furious max
well mine is a 90se, you think it can still be the ignition coil? i'm goin to buy new sp wires what kind of wires should i get? what voltage?
I would use original wires. That's what I used and the problem was fixed. If you use aftermarket wires they may cause other problems. If you want to use aftermarket wires just make sure they are the same voltage as the originals. That's my opinion.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:15 AM

hesitation

question can you tell me where are the ignition coils and the ignition wires are located at?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:52 PM

did you check up on my advice???

just wondering man....
Old 02-03-2003, 09:52 PM

My 2 cents

Just out of curiosity, did you have your fuel injectors checked? The wires may be shot. I had mine replace a year and a half ago and it hasn't hesitated since. Haven't kept up on this post so I do not know if you already did that. Just something to think about. Regards.

-Sean
Old 02-03-2003, 10:07 PM

hesitatation

thanks guys. what i'm goin to do is buy new wires, change the gas filter, dis cap, plugs etc. if that doesn't work, then i will do what was advised ignition coils o2 sensor, maf etc.now my question, again, where are the ignition coils at? thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:50 AM
A92se?

Re: hesitatation

thanks guys. what i'm goin to do is buy new wires, change the gas filter, dis cap, plugs etc. if that doesn't work, then i will do what was advised ignition coils o2 sensor, maf etc.now my question, again, where are the ignition coils at? thanks for the help.
The coils are right above the spark plugs. There are six of them. Three in the front and three in the back. The 3 in the front have one bolt (10 mm) securing them and the ones in the back have two bolts securing them. Be sure to unplug them before you ****** them out.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:00 AM

hesitation

thanks alot im goin to try it out.....
Old 02-04-2003, 12:48 PM

thanks alot im goin to try it out.....
Post if you figure it out....(I'm still trying!)
Old 02-04-2003, 01:16 PM
A92se?

I'm trying to unplug the O2 sensor on mine, because the known to be good MAFS isn't known to be helping! I also have a set of known to be good coils from my girlfriend's MAX, but what I wanna know is do bad coils make the tachometer go crazy like a bad MAFS or O2 sensor? I'll continue to search posts and maybe find the answer...this forum has already helped out tons!

Old 02-05-2003, 03:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by A92se?
I'm trying to unplug the O2 sensor on mine, because the known to be good MAFS isn't known to be helping! I also have a set of known to be good coils from my girlfriend's MAX, but what I wanna know is do bad coils make the tachometer go crazy like a bad MAFS or O2 sensor? I'll continue to search posts and maybe find the answer...this forum has already helped out tons!
The bad coils would make my tach. bounce between 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

listen it may not be the same thing but my astro van is doing the same thing and it was my egr valve that was clogged.I cleaned it and felt the engine running much smoother but not perfect so i guess its not only dirty its broken....
Old 02-05-2003, 02:38 PM
A92se?

Originally posted by Dr. Seuss

The bad coils would make my tach. bounce between 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm.
Now with the good used coils I don't have the stall or the hesitation but the tach is still going crazy. It sounds like it really wants to die at idle. I guess I could idle it up, but...that would require more searchin and more work. I just want to put new coils in and bam! everything is back to normal

Old 02-06-2003, 03:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by A92se?

Now with the good used coils I don't have the stall or the hesitation but the tach is still going crazy. It sounds like it really wants to die at idle. I guess I could idle it up, but...that would require more searchin and more work. I just want to put new coils in and bam! everything is back to normal
Try the TPS sensor, that's probably what's making your idle all screwy.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:12 PM

hesitation

Originally posted by Dr. Seuss

Try the TPS sensor, that's probably what's making your idle all screwy.
i still can't find the ignition coils. does anybody have a pic of them so i can see what they are. today i got my springs and struts put on. last saturday i got my exhaust put on.all i need to get this hesitation gone. i writtin down all the stuff it might me, just need where they are.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:07 PM

they're right in the middle of the valve cover(the front three anyway) going across. they have wires going to them. when you find the front three I'm sure you'll find the back three.
I'm sure someone will have a picture for ya.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:13 AM

hesitaion

oh ok i think i saw them there, under the spark plugs. or around them. 3 on one side and 3 on the other.now what do i have to do. should i take it to a mechanic or can i do it my self.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:19 AM
A92se?

Re: hesitaion

oh ok i think i saw them there, under the spark plugs. or around them. 3 on one side and 3 on the other.now what do i have to do. should i take it to a mechanic or can i do it my self.
This is a really easy DIY job. You just need a 10 mm socket and two hands. Unplug the electric connection to the coils to gain access to the 10mm bolts. The coils on the front should have one socket to hold it on and the ones in the back have two bolts. Once you remove the bolts, pull up on the coils and they pop right out

Old 02-07-2003, 08:35 PM

hesitation

what i read there very expensive. is there any way of cleaning them? and are they a dealer part? i ran my ride and it has a harder hesitation.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:50 PM
A92se?

what i read there very expensive. is there any way of cleaning them? and are they a dealer part? i ran my ride and it has a harder hesitation.
Through searching and researching I have not found a good way to clean the coils...and since the problem isn't constant, it seems the best way to find out if a coil is bad is to replace them. U R right they're expensive. Advanced Auto has them for $40.99...Luckily my girlfriend has a 93 se and I used her parts to find my BAD coil by first replacing the front three coils and using the process of elimination and am ordering a new one on Monday! Good luck!

Old 02-09-2003, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: hesitation

I think they might be a little cheaper at courtesy nissan
Old 02-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same problem with my 92 se. Replaced the throttle sensor, full tune up with plugs, took it to two mechanics and two trips to the dealer. The dealer couldn't get it to hesitate with the Consult hooked up even though it hesitated as I left the parking lot.....

Read on NAPA's site that some O2 sensors are flakey and will give you problems without showing a code on your ECU. Also, the wiring can have an intermitant break causing the same symptoms. The sign of a bad O2 sensor is hesitation or surging. It is simple to check your O2 sensor. Just unplug it. The connector is close to the road so I recommend putting electrical or duct tape over the connectors to keep dirt out and tape them together. If it runs fine, then it's your O2 sensor.

I've gone 3 days with no problems.

One reason it may be running better is the cold. Mine seems to hesitate more when it is warm out. Also, the idle speed will run higher in the cold which could mean bumping it up (earlier posts) might work!