3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 11:57 AM

Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

After hundreds of hours of work rebuilding half my engine my timing belt decided to let lose. It had about 30k on it so I didnt replace it when I had it off originally. Lesson learned. For anyone pulling heads to replace exhaust studs and cams...replace the timing belt while your in there! Now I must pray to god I didnt bend a valve (or 12!).
Old 12-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

Originally posted by Nismomaxt
After hundreds of hours of work rebuilding half my engine my timing belt decided to let lose. It had about 30k on it so I didnt replace it when I had it off originally. Lesson learned. For anyone pulling heads to replace exhaust studs and cams...replace the timing belt while your in there! Now I must pray to god I didnt bend a valve (or 12!).
u sure your wood block didn't knock it out?

sorry couldn't resist...good luck.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:13 PM

Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

Originally posted by DanNY

damn that sucks! what r u going to do?

.. F'in wooden blocks
Old 12-20-2002, 02:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WTF! My wood block post contaminated this thread too?!
Old 12-20-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

I knew this was going to happen!!!! I think Im going to try my block of wood method on the whole damn car this weekend. Wish me luck.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

I knew this was going to happen!!!! I think Im going to try my block of wood method on the whole damn car this weekend. Wish me luck.
Honestly. One of two things: 1) If my prayers have been answered then I dont have any bent valves and when I replace the belt all will be well 2) valves are bent and its time for a new car. I just tore that engine down to the block two weeks ago and I really dont want to do it again. Id hate to leave the lovely climate of Maxima.org (wood...blocks...ahhhhhhh!) but I may be relocating to
se-r.net soon enough.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

Honestly. One of two things: 1) If my prayers have been answered then I dont have any bent valves and when I replace the belt all will be well 2) valves are bent and its time for a new car. I just tore that engine down to the block two weeks ago and I really dont want to do it again. Id hate to leave the lovely climate of Maxima.org (wood...blocks...ahhhhhhh!) but I may be relocating to
se-r.net soon enough.
well that's a bad move on your part man. you had it all torn down and everything but u reused the t-belt...ouch

well it's not a total loss..if the car overall is in good shape..if it is then get a set of heads and slap it in..(given the bottom end is ok)..if not then get a boneyard motor...and REPLACE THE T-BELT.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

well that's a bad move on your part man. you had it all torn down and everything but u reused the t-belt...ouch

well it's not a total loss..if the car overall is in good shape..if it is then get a set of heads and slap it in..(given the bottom end is ok)..if not then get a boneyard motor...and REPLACE THE T-BELT.
I think I may have had the T-belt tensioned improperly actually. Theres a spec. for the tension but I didnt have the tools to set it. Takes some wierd micrometer set-up. I could fix it but I live in Hawaii and finding parts for this car is really expensive. I think I may have to cut my losses and move on. Its sad because I just dropped about 6k on this car too. Its in perfect shape since I had a real paint job done 3 weeks ago. Its back to its showroom emerald green, ALL dents removed. We'll see, I love my car but I work hard for my money and I just might be smarter to spend it on a new car. BTW, glad we've moved past our blocks of wood phase Dan.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:15 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

I think I may have had the T-belt tensioned improperly actually. Theres a spec. for the tension but I didnt have the tools to set it. Takes some wierd micrometer set-up. I could fix it but I live in Hawaii and finding parts for this car is really expensive. I think I may have to cut my losses and move on. Its sad because I just dropped about 6k on this car too. Its in perfect shape since I had a real paint job done 3 weeks ago. Its back to its showroom emerald green, ALL dents removed. We'll see, I love my car but I work hard for my money and I just might be smarter to spend it on a new car. BTW, glad we've moved past our blocks of wood phase Dan.
i'm a ball breaker..not an a-hole.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:00 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

Originally posted by Nismomaxt I think I may have to cut my losses and move on. Its sad because I just dropped about 6k on this car too. Its in perfect shape since I had a real paint job done 3 weeks ago. Its back to its showroom emerald green, ALL dents removed. We'll see, I love my car but I work hard for my money and I just might be smarter to spend it on a new car. BTW, glad we've moved past our blocks of wood phase Dan.
For this reason alone if it was "me" I wouldn't cut my loses. Mistakes happen, some cost more than others. I don't know how much valves cost, maybe $100 in gaskets and your good to go, it's not like you have to tear apart the short block. And with the body just getting "a real paint job" the car sounds like it was worked on pretty good in and out. If you are considering getting rid of the car as is, keep in mind most will take a mechanically sound car (eng/susp) over a prestine body unless they're aware of what it would take to repair the motor/susp. Depending on your time/money I say pull the heads, replace the valves and enjoy your motor for another 150k+ then again the SE-R.net is a nice replacement with more after-market support
Old 12-21-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

Originally posted by CandiMan

For this reason alone if it was "me" I wouldn't cut my loses. Mistakes happen, some cost more than others. I don't know how much valves cost, maybe $100 in gaskets and your good to go, it's not like you have to tear apart the short block. And with the body just getting "a real paint job" the car sounds like it was worked on pretty good in and out. If you are considering getting rid of the car as is, keep in mind most will take a mechanically sound car (eng/susp) over a prestine body unless they're aware of what it would take to repair the motor/susp. Depending on your time/money I say pull the heads, replace the valves and enjoy your motor for another 150k+ then again the SE-R.net is a nice replacement with more after-market support
I agree with you for the most part. The problem is this is the VG engine with automatic. Ive been kicking myself for not getting the SE with 5 speed from day one (about 5 years ago). No matter how much I put into this drivetrain it will never perform as well as I want. Im going to replace the belt and if theres a bent valve Ill see if Im in the mood to tear it down AGAIN. Maybe this time Ill just pull the whole engine and replace it with a VE.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Timing belt broke. YAY!!!

well good luck I just bought a car from a friend that let the t belt break. It had every valve bent in it. I would guess that you have at least 1 but probably all bent. I spent about 400-500 at the machine shop but that included the gaskets, all 12 new valves, new intake guides. You have already put a lot of money in the car...I would fix it and sell it because you will not get much for a car with a bad motor.

Good luck