3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

This is one sweet car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:28 PM

This is one sweet car...

I must say that this is one of the sweetest driving cars I have ever owned. I now have the 2 mustangs, the maxima and a festiva(hey, everyone needs a work car )
I do have one question though. Do you guys ever have the "riced out" cars messing with you? I mean, from everything I read after doing ALL the typical bolt-ons to a civic or whatever, they still have nowhere near the 190hp we do.
Just curiuos if anyone of you ever raced any of the other imports. HAHA, i allready have a race set up with my buddy with his stock eclipse GS-T
Old 12-20-2002, 08:45 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: This is one sweet car...

Originally posted by Slither
I mean, from everything I read after doing ALL the typical bolt-ons to a civic or whatever, they still have nowhere near the 190hp we do.
ever heard of power to weight ratio....
Old 12-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: This is one sweet car...

Originally posted by DA-MAX

ever heard of power to weight ratio....
Everyone knows that the ratio doesn't matter. All civics are slow.

I'd be terrified of a 92-95 hatchback with a swap that was only pushing out 170.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:39 PM

I know all about the power to weight ratio, but still. After the swap, with 170hp, is that enough to run with a typical bolt on SE Maxima? What about from a highway run? You are allready pushing the weight so it becomes less(though slightly) of a concern.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:47 PM

If you take a lightweight Honda chassis, such as a hatchback, throw in a b16 or b18, and are running about 170 to the wheels, you shouldn't have much trouble running away from bolt on maximas. Then again, it depends on who is driving.

Highway roll? If you are running against a car, such as a Civic that makes it peak hp at a high RPM, a race from a stop would be most beneficial as they have no torque.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:52 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

after a B16A(160 crank HP) swap most Civics and CRXs see low 15's/upper 14's

with bolt ons a good 5spd VE driver will probably beat by a few or tie it, but its totally driver dependent I guess.

on paper based on the VE 5spd times I see, I have to say the lighter Civic takes the win in the 1/4 mi.

highway I'm not sure....that could be anyones game I say.

After the swap, with 170hp, is that enough to run with a typical bolt on SE Maxima?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:57 PM

ah, 170 at the CRANK. My bad, I was thinking 170 at the wheels
Old 12-20-2002, 09:58 PM

So you guys have never ran a modded civic? What about a eclipse? This car feels much faster than the auto mustang(stock) 5.0 I traded for it did. The auto mustang was a dog in terms of performance though.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

do you have a 5spd VE?? if so thats why its so damn fast the VE is a beast all its own...if working right wiht a good driver the 5spd is capable of high 14's with only an intake(only seen one do that though)

as for eclipses, the stock GST tends to run low 15's/high 14's...stock boost GST loses up top on the highway, puny T25/28 starts choking up top....still a VERY quick car though.

So you guys have never ran a modded civic? What about a eclipse? This car feels much faster than the auto mustang(stock) 5.0 I traded for it did. The auto mustang was a dog in terms of performance though.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:42 PM

Yes, its a Pearl White 93 SE. I traded my friend at work for this car. I traded him a 93 LX vert 5.0 auto mustang. It was a nice car, not fast at all though. I wanted something more comfortable and sporty, but didnt want to settle for soemthing with NO *****(sorry Honda owners, dont get ****ed) and the Maxima was the car I really wanted.
I was told it needed a timing belt and new tensioner since it was rattleing like hell. I searched on the net to find out how much problem it was to change and stumbled accross this site. Well, turned out it had faulty VTC so I done the groudning(i know its not fixed, but out of sight, out of mind, right?)
Grounded it, didnt make a single noise(cept at startup for a split second when cold)
It was his wifes car. It has a cd changer, power sunroof. Tan cloth interior. I really like leather, but i like the feel of cloth.
Man, do those seats feel great or what? My 94 mustang is basicly set up for road racing, and my 99 also has a couple mods and neither ride nowhere near like the maxima's do.
Anyway, even if I have a couple problems with the car I think I will be happy with it. I love the looks(although I am thinking of adding a body kit) and I allready have the wheels picked out. SInce were on that topic anyway, who makes a good looking body kit? I know I could search, but since you guys brough it up do any of you have a particular kit in mind?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

SInce were on that topic anyway, who makes a good looking body kit? I know I could search, but since you guys brough it up do any of you have a particular kit in mind?
IMO, the best looking kit is the Stillen kit, its subtle yet adds a whole new look to the car. Wings West makes another nice one. Sarona, Kaminari and Erebuni make kits as well, but IMO they look like hot trash
Old 12-21-2002, 06:56 AM

Cool man, check my site out, I should have pics of my new baby up soon!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:30 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i raced a swapped civic one time...i was unaware until i got roasted and pulled up at a the next gas station and we talked...
Old 12-21-2002, 01:17 PM

I never saw a clear answer weather or not your SE is a 5 speed or not. How about the GST? I had a 97 GST about 2 years ago, the only mod was thermal exaust and the SOB was killin fools. I never raced a Max though so i don't know how they would match up. I just bought a 94 SE last Friday, but mine is a auto and I don't think I'm getting the best performance on the car. It's a work in progress though, kinda have to clean up the last guys mess, you know.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:29 PM

Sorry bro, yes, its a 5 speed. Im seriously thinking of turboing the car, possible twin turbo. I have turbo'ed a couple of my mustangs, so Im pretty familiar with the process. I have never bought a kit, I dont mind getting my fingers a lil dirty and building my own. I am thinking possibly about going with 2 small turbo's(possible supercoupe turbo's, there cheap, reliable, plentyfull) and using possibly two headers(do they even make them for the max?) and welding up my own flanges, and matting them back together to the y-pipe(which will be upgraded)
Biggest thing I need to do is find out about larger inj(do they make larger inj. for max's?) or doing what I have done to keep gas milage great. I have added extra injectors to the intake, and controled them via a computer that is available from anderson motorsports. This certain computer is a boost reference deal, or you can program your own fuel curve(for just the secondary inj).
Either way, I have big plans for the car. First is a tuneup, checking every last detail about the car. Anyone know how much hp the stock bottom end can hold before giving up the ghost? FWIW, I made 523rwhp with 9psi of boost via a T76 on my 94. Too bad I sold the turbo before running the damn car. Its forsale anyway, and I rarely drive it. Anyway, really no plan on a start date yet, until I find out just what the Max is made of. I know I love mine allready and only had it less than a week! Took her on a 300 mile trip today, and she went great the whole way.
HAHA, funny story, going down I40 today, doing maybe 95ish, i slow to merge over a little, and I hear a noise that was just ungodly loud. Im grabbing the radio, looking around all the while my buddy is freaking out! Turns out as I was slowing down, got in a little turbulance from a trucker and it upset the harmony my sunroof visor had going with the wind and it was hitting the window in my sunroof. I have never heard anything like it in my life!
ANyway, sorry for the long post.
Laters bro