3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Two questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 03:33 PM

First, my cruise control doesn't work and I would like it to. I know there are a bunch of sensors like brake, clutch, etc on the CC system - is there any way to test this?

Second, is there an indicator light somewhere for the fog-lights? It would be nice to glance at the dash to see if they are on or not. My '89 Z has one, my '97 Pathfinder has a switch that shows the positions, so I am thinking the Max should have something like that.

Third, and this one is weird - whenever I turn on my rear defroster, my radio loses it's signal. Like even on a station that has great reception it will sound really fuzzy when I turn on the rear def. Not a big deal, but certainly strange.

Other than those issues, I have put 800 miles on the car and I absolutely love it. My sister is jealous and my brother and I are looking for a Max for him at lunch!

-Jacob
Old 01-02-2001, 03:35 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i'll answer the foglight question...the only way to tell if they are on or not is by the button to the left of the steering wheel...if it's lit they're on and if not they're off...
Old 01-02-2001, 03:45 PM

There's the prob then...

My button doesn't light up! How do you change the bulb? Anyone know?

-Jacob
Old 01-02-2001, 03:55 PM
davis449

Ok I have a '93 SE 3spd also and my Cruise Control did the same thing and it actually turned out to be the switch on the left of the steering wheel right by the fog light switch. Something was wrong with it and I just took it to the dealer and they got if fixed. It took 'em forever but the Nissan dealer where I live sucks. I don't think it was that expensive.

Old 01-02-2001, 04:05 PM
Foo90SE

My foglight switch dosnt light up either..but mine work. I duno how to change the bulb. There is a relay under the hood that could be the culprit...i would check for voltage at the lights to make sure the bulbs arnt blown and go from there

Old 01-02-2001, 04:18 PM

Well...

I forgot to mention that the green light on the Cruise switch light up when you turn it on so there is power to the system.

Also - regarding the relay - I believe that relay is the one that switches the battery power to the fog lamps so if they work, the relay is fine. Mine work great - just forget they are on sometimes and I hafta turn them off to tell. They make a nice difference, but sometimes I just get used to the light.

-Jacob
Old 01-02-2001, 04:33 PM
Foo90SE

Ah didnt read the question all the way
Umm maybe check the vac line to the cruise control servo..its over on the left side of the engine compartment(looking at from the front)

Old 01-02-2001, 05:17 PM

changing the lights in the swtiches are a pain in the ***. i did it in the emergency flasher swtich, and it was one of those projects i wished i never started, but i got it to work and now im glad i did it anyways, (this id for the hazard switch, ill assume its similar for the fog sitch) you pry out the switch, open it up (little clips) then tyr to keep the switch intact as much as possible. the light should pull off and be in a rubber holder thing. you can buy a new bulb at radio shack, $1.50, 12 volt bulb. basically you have to do some maiputalting so that the contacts will touch like te old one and that is a pain in the ***, but if you can do it, and wanna try that is how i managed!

[Edited by Dabman90GXE on 01-02-2001 at 08:36 PM]
Old 01-02-2001, 05:51 PM

Cruise control

My cruise control switch can be a bit fussy too. If it doesnt engage, then I just wiggle the switch, turn it off and on, and eventually it does. Most likely your problem.

I don't have the rear defroster problem but there is a separate antenna imprinted in the rear glass. The BOSE radio takes the better reception from either the glass or the power antenna. But I don't know what would be causing it to do that.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:07 PM

Yea bro i hear ya, when i have my radio on and i turn my rear defroster on it goes all fuzzy. haha strange. so now i just basically listen to cd's all the time. except if i dont need the rear def. ill listen to the radio if somethin good is on. Peace
Old 01-02-2001, 10:17 PM
MSK

When I purchased the car, the cruise was not working properly. It would work for a short time and then it would quit or cut off. I replaced the Automatic Speed Control Device(ASCD)actuator assembly mounted on the right side of the engine (the round thing that pulls the cable. It has some electrical relays and switches on it) and it worked fine. If your switch is OK you probably need to check the relay for the crise control which I believe is mounted on the right side near the actuater assembly. also the A.S.C.D pump is part of the assembly. One more thing to check is the kill switches that are located on the brake and clutch (if you have 5 speed). Good luck

MSK

Old 01-02-2001, 10:36 PM

The foglight button is supposed to light up? Are you serious?? haha.. both my blue & pearl max foglight buttons never lit up.

Originally posted by Chris91SE
i'll answer the foglight question...the only way to tell if they are on or not is by the button to the left of the steering wheel...if it's lit they're on and if not they're off...
Old 01-02-2001, 11:36 PM

clutch limit switch...

Not exactly sure what it's really called but I think that;s right. Did you recently have ur clutch replaced or did u adjust the height of the clutch pedal? Adjusting the clutch pedal too low can cause the cruise control to not work at all. U might want to look into this. Good luck!

JF
Old 01-03-2001, 08:14 AM
STFU n00b!

The way our antennae are designed in our cars, we actually have TWO antennas. one is in the rear glass, the other is the one you see on the rear corner of the car.. if you've got an aftermarket head unit, the one in the glass is already disabled, but if you're still using the stock head unit (whether bose or non-bose), it uses the antenna in the glass and the one on the rear corner.
you may want to find a way to disconnect the glass antenna and that should get rid of your reception problems.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

gents...don't mind chris..he's talking out of his **** again. the button only light up on lumination..(IE when the parking or headlights are on). there's no line for the fog light behing on. when the lights are on the button is slightly indented. when the lights are off the button is flush w/ the other buttons. the lumination on my switch blew out and let me tell you that switch was a PITA to replace the small bulb.

Originally posted by Chris91SE