3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Changed spark plugs, got some big problems, what's causing them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 07:48 AM

Changed spark plugs, got some big problems, what's causing them?

Ok, I finally got up the courage to change the spark plugs(all my family telling me that I couldn't do it). But now, all sorts of things have gone wrong. I rechanged the spark plugs again, in case one of them was bad, but it's still having just about as much trouble.
Here it is: First, the exhaust "putt-putt"ers, but the engine isn't quite misfiring(the mechabics and some other people loocked at it, said it was a electronic device or something got clogged). The second thing, the radiator fans are ALWAYS on! They weren't before, but now they're on even in really cold weather, right when I start up the car, untill the time I shut it off(which it NEVER did before).
Third is lack of horse power. I use to be able to haul pretty nicely, now it's accelerating like a volvo.
And this ALL happened after I changed the spark plugs. I brought it to the mechanic, and he said it would take hours try and figure out what part of the engine of having trouble, becuase the engine doesn't have the "check engine" light on, so doesn't realize there is a problem.
Also my those four bolts that hold the engine to the body are torn, so at high acceleration, the engine is jumping around, but that happened when I was trying to keep an arshole from rear ending me at 70mph.
Any idea? I think I read something like this in one of the forums a while ago, but am having trouble finding it.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:07 AM

Re: Changed spark plugs, got some big problems, what's causing them?

Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing, the idle is way off. It keeeps jumping around. Usually just a little(the needle bobs 200-400rpm), which is still not normal for my max, but a couple times it has started bobing around ALOT...
Old 01-06-2003, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by doomtoo
Ok, I finally got up the courage to change the spark plugs(all my family telling me that I couldn't do it). But now, all sorts of things have gone wrong. I rechanged the spark plugs again, in case one of them was bad, but it's still having just about as much trouble.
Here it is: First, the exhaust "putt-putt"ers, but the engine isn't quite misfiring(the mechabics and some other people loocked at it, said it was a electronic device or something got clogged). The second thing, the radiator fans are ALWAYS on! They weren't before, but now they're on even in really cold weather, right when I start up the car, untill the time I shut it off(which it NEVER did before).
Third is lack of horse power. I use to be able to haul pretty nicely, now it's accelerating like a volvo.
And this ALL happened after I changed the spark plugs. I brought it to the mechanic, and he said it would take hours try and figure out what part of the engine of having trouble, becuase the engine doesn't have the "check engine" light on, so doesn't realize there is a problem.
Also my those four bolts that hold the engine to the body are torn, so at high acceleration, the engine is jumping around, but that happened when I was trying to keep an arshole from rear ending me at 70mph.
Any idea? I think I read something like this in one of the forums a while ago, but am having trouble finding it.
silly question,

but did you gap the spark plugs to factory spec.?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:17 AM

Re: Re: Changed spark plugs, got some big problems, what's causing them?

Originally posted by shock211

silly question,

but did you gap the spark plugs to factory spec.?
Yeah, I did, as close to .044th as i could(slight drag on wire).
Reading some of the other posts, I forgot to mention a couple things:
The ehaust(stuttering) is also comming out very thick. I can see it most of the time sice changing the spark plugs, but it's the stuttering thats got me worried; I can feel the vibrations from the steering wheel. But the strange thing is, none of this really seems to happen in the first couple seconds(5-15s) after starting up(except for the radiator fans).
Old 01-06-2003, 09:02 AM

Pretty simple...

Let me get this straight:

1. The car was fine before you changed the plugs.
2. Now it runs crappy after you changed the plugs.

Questions:

Is the firing order correct?

Did anything fall into one of the plug holes?

What is the condition of the plug wires, did you pull, bend or tug on them forcefully?

Backtrack what you have done. Check everything over. You'll find it.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:51 PM

Oh yeah, since the electronic store installed an amp, I've gotten engine noise from my radio/HU. But since installing the spark plugs, and getting all these problems, the engine noise has gotten worse. before I could never hear it in overdrive below 3 1/2, but now it's alway on, , and gets louder with less rpm. Would that help me pinpoint the problem any? Does anyone happen to know a good mechanic in arizona the pheonix(better the east valley, mesa, gilber, chandler...) that I might be able to take it to to look at the car? Someone who knows alot about cars, might help me out, and show me a couple things?(while fixing it for the $$$)
Old 01-07-2003, 07:16 AM

Oh yeah, since the electronic store installed an amp, I've gotten engine noise from my radio/HU. But since installing the spark plugs, and getting all these problems, the engine noise has gotten worse. before I could never hear it in overdrive below 3 1/2, but now it's alway on, , and gets louder with less rpm. Would that help me pinpoint the problem any? Does anyone happen to know a good mechanic in arizona the pheonix(better the east valley, mesa, gilber, chandler...) that I might be able to take it to to look at the car? Someone who knows alot about cars, might help me out, and show me a couple things?(while fixing it for the $$$)
Shuman's automotive seems pretty good. They are either in Mesa or Tempe. Right around 101 and University.

We did a Car Care Clinic for Single Mom's through our church there.
The owner was really cool, letting use all his equipment. You can mention that Christian from the Grace Community Church Car Care Clinic recommended you.

Let me know how it goes. I can also help, but they have better diagnostic equipment than I do.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure you put the plugs wires back on the correct plug. The wires are numbered on your distributor cap. If you are standing in front of the engine, the cylinder numbers are:

firewall
1 3 5
2 4 6
radiator

Make sure that the wires are properly seated. If you damaged them or you are unsure about their condition, replace them. Check your distributor cap for cracks. Also check the rotor button. Replace if worn. Make sure that you have the correct plugs. You didn't indicate what engine you have. For the SOHC, you want NGK plugs. Don't waste your money on platinums.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:26 AM

I just checked the order of the spark plugs - they're correct. Distributer cap looks fine, but I haven't looked up where that button is yet. I first bought NGK copper plugs, but then when that wasn't working, I thought 1 might be damaged, so I bought another set of NGK V tipped. Still didn't work. I think it might have been something I accidentally unplugged, or maybe something that was on the spark plugs or that fell in the holes(lotsa crap around the holes, but I got most of it away). I also had put to much anti seize on it the first time with the coppers. The mechanic I usually go to is still to busy tody, have to wait untill tommorrow at the soonest.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Changed spark plugs, got some big problems, what's causing them?

I just checked the order of the spark plugs - they're correct. Distributer cap looks fine, but I haven't looked up where that button is yet. I first bought NGK copper plugs, but then when that wasn't working, I thought 1 might be damaged, so I bought another set of NGK V tipped. Still didn't work. I think it might have been something I accidentally unplugged, or maybe something that was on the spark plugs or that fell in the holes(lotsa crap around the holes, but I got most of it away). I also had put to much anti seize on it the first time with the coppers. The mechanic I usually go to is still to busy tody, have to wait untill tommorrow at the soonest.
I wonder if your distributor is loose and you accidentally adjusted your timing.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To try and fix your fans check a harness near the temp sensor there are two sensors on the thermostat housing and u might have disconnected one on accident.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:36 AM
skyrocker

listen to your parents and dont change the plugs lol

dont feel bad, atleast your not leaking from the exchaust manifold/rotten catalysitic converter, tranny not going anywhere in overdrive

now should i go fix these problems, or just trade it in forwhatever i get and get a toyota 4runner

Old 01-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Spark Plug Gapping

Will dealerships gap the plugs for me since I do not have a spark plug gapper?
Old 01-25-2003, 09:27 AM
skyrocker

Re: Spark Plug Gapping

gapper cost's about a dollor buy it.

Old 01-25-2003, 09:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

will do. gonna start doing repairs myself.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:38 PM
skyrocker

selling a 94 maxima, as in, pictures are up custom maxima.com

95K maxima, runs good, selling as is, in ny , putnam county, price is negotiable, i am not gona demand something crazy i know it has high miles, so AIM me or respond or email me
ok

aim:skyrockerr

Old 01-25-2003, 06:36 PM

Its also important to properly tighten the spark plugs. First lightly tighten by hand so that the plug comes to a stop, then tighten an additional 1/4 turn with the wrench. that 1/4 turn is what crushes the washer on the spark plug. Note that this procedure is only for new spark plugs.
If a plug is not properly tightened it can run hot, and if its overtightened then the ceramic insulation can crack leading to a path that the spark plug can short out to. Dumb ***** fourth gen people were complaining about bosch plat +4's and that their car was running crappy, then when some of the guys removed their plugs they found that some of the electrodes had been eaten away or fallen off, this is due to overheating (because they didnt tighten them properly) one of the guys said that he just put them in loosly now thats a big no-no.

If you wanna tune up your ignition system properly you should do the cap and rotor and wires as well. Get good wires, ones that say that they have a lifetime gurantee, also the thicker the better get atleast 8mm wires.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks eric93SE. The cap and rotor are going the first to be replaced. That was already on my agenda. Then the wires are next. I have a 91SE with 73,000 that I plan on keeping for a while. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:25 PM

You say you had a whine through the stereo before, but it's worse now? If that's so, I would definately replace your wires. Sounds like you're getting an arc in one or more wires as the engine runs. This arc (or electrical energy) has nowhere to go but back into the cars electrical harness and/or chassis (through the ground). That extra energy is manifesting itself as alternator whine in your stereo.