3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I have another review about the WSP y-pipe(long)>>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 11:36 PM

Hi fellas and Sarah, I thought that I would share with you what I noticed today driving back from my dads house up in Ft. Lauderdale. Me and my girlfriend(that came down from VA to visit me) were in the car. She hasn't been in my car since installing the y-pipe, so I figured this would be a great oppotunity to get an unbiased opinion. I came onto the onramp @ about 50 and I flicked the OD off. The car just jetted as expected!! I got her up to 75mph in a hurry. The one thing I love to do is slow down a bit and gun it so I can feel that sweet pull. I told my gf to tell me if she notices any difference in acceleration. Boy looky here!! I gunned it from 75 and gat nabit she took off in a hurry. I got up to 110 so fast that my gf had to close her eyes because she was so scared. I tell you, the car really pulls hard up top. It was so smoooooth too, like it could have easy tipped the 125 speedo. That was the first time I got the car up to that speed with my wsp y pipe, for the simple fact that I live in Miami. My gf say that I'm crazy!! Her exact words were, "Why do you want such a fast car??" I told her to blame Dan and Dallas, LOL.

The rest of the way home I put her on cruise going 75. One thing me and my gf noticed was that going up and over hills, that you can feel that scary pull were u feel like your riding on air. You know, that feeling when you gun it at 3000rpm. Me and my gf were laughing because it felt like a rollercoaster. We were like to kids waiting for the next hill to come. I used to never feel it pull while in cruise control. I used the cc a lot on my way to and from Daytona and I never had that pulling(torque) feeling.

Later,
ICE

Old 01-04-2001, 06:59 AM
OG and counting...

Question

Did you just get the Y Pipe or the full exhaust system (Y Pipe, Catalytic Converter, Muffler)? If not the full exhaust, what exhaust components did you use?
Old 01-04-2001, 02:48 PM

Re: Question

Originally posted by PrinzII
Did you just get the Y Pipe or the full exhaust system (Y Pipe, Catalytic Converter, Muffler)? If not the full exhaust, what exhaust components did you use?
Hi Prinz2, My exhaust is made up of just the wsp y-pipe and a maxspeed dtm muffler with dual 3" tips. The muffler is nothing special either. It just a regular universal muffler, but the good thing is that it is 304 stainless steel and has lasted for a good year and a half with no problems. I noticed a leak were the b-pipe meets the back of the muffler. I took it to the shop this morning and they welded it up for free. Mufflers are not that big a deal IMHO. I hear that 5hp is about all you can expect to gain from a muffler. I think most people do it for the COOL sound. If I would have been wiser back then I would have put a new stock muffler or maybe a 2k muffler.

I think the cat and b-pipe is kind of a waste too. Not to mention the great loss of back pressure those 2 components cause. Nismo once told me that a high flow b-pipe will cause me to lose a great deal of back presure. And I don't think the cat will yield that much of a gain. I drive in the city were low end torque is a must.

The above is only my opinion Do whatever makes you happy.

Take care,
ICE
Old 01-04-2001, 11:14 PM

Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by AKAICEBERG
Originally posted by PrinzII
Hi Prinz2, My exhaust is made up of just the wsp y-pipe and a maxspeed dtm muffler with dual 3" tips. The muffler is nothing special either. It just a regular universal muffler, but the good thing is that it is 304 stainless steel and has lasted for a good year and a half with no problems. I noticed a leak were the b-pipe meets the back of the muffler. I took it to the shop this morning and they welded it up for free. Mufflers are not that big a deal IMHO. I hear that 5hp is about all you can expect to gain from a muffler. I think most people do it for the COOL sound. If I would have been wiser back then I would have put a new stock muffler or maybe a 2k muffler.

I think the cat and b-pipe is kind of a waste too. Not to mention the great loss of back pressure those 2 components cause. Nismo once told me that a high flow b-pipe will cause me to lose a great deal of back presure. And I don't think the cat will yield that much of a gain. I drive in the city were low end torque is a must.

The above is only my opinion Do whatever makes you happy.

Take care,
ICE
Which part of Miami do you live. I just graduated from school in Daytona and I will be around there for a little while.

Old 01-05-2001, 12:42 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Dammit!!!!

Ice with all these good reviews you keep giving about the WSP Y, I'm getting madder since I haven't bought mine yet!! ( just joking!!) GRRRRRRRRRRR..........I hate being broke, damn tax returns could hurry up a little!!!!!!! are you gonna go for the WSP CAI too, I can't wait for that and the exhaust, WOOHOOO!!!! I'm gonna be flyin' once the spring season at Capital starts!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2001, 06:09 AM
OG and counting...

That Settles It

Considering all the glowing reviews of the WarpSpeed pipe, I am DEFINITELY going ahead with my plans to bolt the full exhaust system on my GenIII. Like you, I live in a major city where torque is a must (Chicago) and we need all the low end grunt necessary to get out of the way when necessary.
Old 01-05-2001, 09:51 AM

answers to everyone ques.

Big Juice: I live in the South Miami area. I live like 3 blocks away from Bird Road and 1 block from Coral Gables. You may not know where that is but never the less, send me an email and maybe when your down in Miami we can meet and hang out in the Grove.

DA-MAX: LOL!! I guess I'm the only one with the wsp y-pipe except for Matt, but then again he says his car is acting up. I love the pipe!! I think I finally have the car the way I had planned it to be when I first got it. It runs hella strong from 2500+rpm. I also like to put the tranny in power mod from a stop. I then give it 1/2 gas and boy does she move now. In first she spins up to 4000k and shifts. I would like to dyno my car, but I have no time right now with my gf being here and all.

I think the CAI is gonna be another success for wsp. I was thinking of getting a cai, but I have been reading that it won't be that much better than my pop charger. I heard that the pop actually flows more air. Is that true?? Will I feel a difference with a cai??

PrinzII: Your right, torque is a must in the city. I think the wsp pipe actually added a little low end. You know, the performance has improved a great deal, but normal daily driving has remained the same. But boy when you hit the gas is moves now. Not like when stock, you could hit the gas and hear all enigine but wouldn't speed up. The pipe has really made a hella difference.

Take care all,
ICE
Old 01-05-2001, 04:18 PM
MSK

Gosh, I saved money twice since past few months but my max ate it all. Once for the studs and second for a waterleak from the freeze plugs in the head. May be the third time is a charm. I have heard good reviews about that Y-pipe. and the irony is that I live only about 5 hours drive away from WSP shop. I can't wait to find out about their CAI. Now what will they think of next? Perhaps Altezza lights for 3rd and 4th gen? Just a thought

MSK 90SE