3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What to do with a good, but slower VG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003 | 12:55 PM

What to do with a good, but slower VG?

I've had alot of stuff replaced on my VG. A rebuilt tranny($2000), lotsa other stuff :P and the engine mounts. So I've put alot of money for me into the car. It runs nicely, but I'd want to to be just a little more able (~200hp or above), and a manual. Would it be better to buy a VE, or an INFINITY of try and find some other fast 4 door car, thats would be under 5000, or would it be better to try and get a mechanic or someone to help out with it? I really like the car, the way it drives, and how reliable it is usually, but I'd rather not have to stress the engine hard whenever I wanted to move fast.(like taking a left at a yellow light, trying to get into the next lane if when people are all around, ect).
I'm kinda not sure, becuase I like the car but it's just a little to slow to be comfortable at times(sure, I can compete, but I'd rather it be no competition).
I have 3 choices : stay with this car, and keep it running -2. upgrade to another, older car that has 200hp or more, but still has 4 doors, or 3. wait like 7 years and get a new car.
What would you do?
Old 01-08-2003 | 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

depends on your current situation. I would go with #2 if you just want another car.

I was thinking about going with number 2, but since I'm going off to college next year, I'm driving this through the 4-5 years and then buying a car once I get a steady job. It really just depends on whether or not you want a car payment. I dont
Old 01-08-2003 | 01:43 PM

Make sure your VG is tuned well, throw on an UDP, Y-pipe and bump the timing. That will give you plenty of go power. Maintain it well until you have $$ to spend, then move on. I'd get something with a turbo, or at least a 5 spd. I bought my 3rd gen in my sophomore year of college and did all the maintenance stuff myself. Added the Y-pipe, CAI and bumped the timing. I love it. Fast enough most of the time. I have a 5spd though. I now make good money as an engineer. I haven;t gotten on my feet financially quite yet (I have a bunch of debt from school and my rent is way too much..overestimated what my salary would get me!) but the situation is about to change. I love my Maxima, don't care to have a new car or another monthly payment (or pay for full coverage insurance in NJ. I would have to do this if I finance something. Costs at least twice what I pay for minimum coverage!) So I figure, take the $$ I would use to buy and insure a new car and just mod my MAX to He11. If I put ten grand in the engine and trans (I'm pretty sure I can do it for less)and five into the suspension and body, I'll have a killer custom machine. Mustang eater, know what I mean. I say dump it if it's an auto when you have the cash to do it. But be patient. You put so much into it, it would suck to move on to something else that will be more headaches.
Old 01-08-2003 | 02:42 PM

Re: What to do with a good, but slower VG?

Originally posted by doomtoo
2. upgrade to another, older car that has 200hp or more, but still has 4 doors
What would you do?
I cant think of one. Someone help me out.
Old 01-08-2003 | 03:13 PM
rustangkilla

Re: Re: What to do with a good, but slower VG?

Originally posted by 5spd92SE

Well if you have a 93 or 94, the Acura Legends around that time had 200-220 hp if i'm not mistaken. They also came in 6 speed manual.
Old 01-08-2003 | 03:15 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: What to do with a good, but slower VG?

I think those models were pretty rare special editions

Originally posted by rustangkilla

Well if you have a 93 or 94, the Acura Legends around that time had 200-220 hp if i'm not mistaken. They also came in 6 speed manual.
Old 01-08-2003 | 03:39 PM

Also, for a 93-94 Legend your probably gooing to pay over $5000. Those things have an awesome resale value. I priced those along with the Max when I was trying to purchase last month. And most people are asking a little over $6000 for a 92. I've seen lots of 94's asking over $10,000.
Old 01-08-2003 | 03:52 PM
Ford Only.

Originally posted by 5spd92SE

Toreass SHO
Old 01-08-2003 | 04:41 PM

Re: What to do with a good, but slower VG?

Originally posted by doomtoo
I've had alot of stuff replaced on my VG. A rebuilt tranny($2000), lotsa other stuff :P and the engine mounts. So I've put alot of money for me into the car. It runs nicely, but I'd want to to be just a little more able (~200hp or above), and a manual. Would it be better to buy a VE, or an INFINITY of try and find some other fast 4 door car, thats would be under 5000, or would it be better to try and get a mechanic or someone to help out with it? I really like the car, the way it drives, and how reliable it is usually, but I'd rather not have to stress the engine hard whenever I wanted to move fast.(like taking a left at a yellow light, trying to get into the next lane if when people are all around, ect).
I'm kinda not sure, becuase I like the car but it's just a little to slow to be comfortable at times(sure, I can compete, but I'd rather it be no competition).
I have 3 choices : stay with this car, and keep it running -2. upgrade to another, older car that has 200hp or more, but still has 4 doors, or 3. wait like 7 years and get a new car.
What would you do?
Seriously, suck it up for a while and keep your Max. I wouldnt mod the VG because you wont make it very fast. Ive put in just about every bolt on and mines still not fast. Im going to suck it up, wait a few years, and buy a beemer.
Old 01-08-2003 | 05:13 PM

i wouldnt dump any money into an auto either i would not have bought it in the first place but thats just me, my ve will beat a stock sho and a 200hp 5spd legend but i drove a 6speed with 230hp once when i used to valet part and those are f###ing fast but ive never seen one of those for under 10k
Old 01-08-2003 | 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Nismomaxt

Seriously, suck it up for a while and keep your Max. I wouldnt mod the VG because you wont make it very fast. Ive put in just about every bolt on and mines still not fast. Im going to suck it up, wait a few years, and buy a beemer.
Well when you get that beemer, me and my VG auto will be waiting for it. Dont talk down about the VG auto it is a very capable car. Put some money and some TLC in that bad boy and make her scream like she likes it. I will be running in the 13's next time to the track does that not sound fast enough for you??? (my 2 cents)
Old 01-08-2003 | 09:24 PM

opinion from VG30E owner

read your thread. i gotta 90SE, 5-speed. itz in great shape. i am modding it, though. why not? who cares at this point? i ain't gonna buy no new car right now. the engine was 'asleep' before i put a CAI and total exhuast replacement on it - the y-pipe, the b-pipe, the cat, etc... everything. front to back. it has much greater pickup now than it ever did with all of that factory air box **** on it. the difference is mostly in the top end, though i do notice power throughout the powerband. it is not 'extremely' different. but it is vastly more responsive. it does accelerate much better. it is faster. plain and simple. it will not defeat a GT mustang or WRX, but it is "peppy." i will continue to mod it. it is a great experiment car to mod, actually. i am learning all about it on this car. and you can't beat the styling: to me, the 3rd gen is a "subtle beauty." i have also gotten skyline brakes, skyline factory r32 wheels, and a skyline r32 steering wheel for it. it is very skyline-esque. the r32 and 3rd gen max are similar looking.
Old 01-08-2003 | 10:39 PM

Indeed, 3rd gens have that subtle beauty that I love. R32 all the way. Now if I can just get a nice 400+ hp VGT (with a beefed tranny to take the abuse) in there I'll be happier than a pig in ****. As for Jon610, 14.58 is waaay off a 13 second 1/4. Unless you are putting a 100+ shot of gas on there, with the appropriate fuel upgrade of course. No doubt sub 15's are a quick car, but I've ridden in several 13 second cars, and I know for a fact that a 14.5 second car is no where close to a 13 sec. ride. Good luck though, let us know how she goes.
Old 01-08-2003 | 10:49 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by male
Unless you are putting a 100+ shot of gas on there, with the appropriate fuel upgrade of course.
Old 01-08-2003 | 11:09 PM

more dialogue on the VG

yes. i am considering down the road the VG30ET turbo swap thing. that sounded interesting after i read about it on this forum. i say ignore the haters. your ride is what you want for YOU. the 3rd gen VG ain't gonna ever be a skyline or porsche and we all know that. you just do it for the love of the car. and a slammed maxima is different. look at all of the generic rice crap out there. fast, yes, but generic.
Old 01-09-2003 | 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Jon610

Well when you get that beemer, me and my VG auto will be waiting for it. Dont talk down about the VG auto it is a very capable car. Put some money and some TLC in that bad boy and make her scream like she likes it. I will be running in the 13's next time to the track does that not sound fast enough for you??? (my 2 cents)
Um..yeah, I put a lot of money and a ton of TLC and ya know what? I now have a nice looking SLOW Maxima GXE with a bunch of money put into it that Ill never get back. Dont get me wrong, I like the car alot and Ive learned a lot dworking on it, but if you want a fast Max...dont start with a GXE auto.
Old 01-09-2003 | 12:22 AM

a good, but slower VG?

i mean, you often like what you got. you get to like the car, despite it's limits. sort of get attached to it. the 3rd gen looks sharp in subtle ways. has tantalizing possibilities. and you want to mod it. so you spend some cash. and it never ends. it is never 'enough.' so you gotta accept yourself as you are, as the car is as it is. and you just enjoy it on those terms. but at least get a 5-speed manual!
Old 01-09-2003 | 04:39 AM

Re: more dialogue on the VG

Originally posted by bonzelite
yes. i am considering down the road the VG30ET turbo swap thing. that sounded interesting after i read about it on this forum. i say ignore the haters. your ride is what you want for YOU. the 3rd gen VG ain't gonna ever be a skyline or porsche and we all know that. you just do it for the love of the car. and a slammed maxima is different. look at all of the generic rice crap out there. fast, yes, but generic.
Well put. Be different.
Old 01-09-2003 | 07:03 AM

Re: a good, but slower VG?

i mean, you often like what you got. you get to like the car, despite it's limits. sort of get attached to it. the 3rd gen looks sharp in subtle ways. has tantalizing possibilities. and you want to mod it. so you spend some cash. and it never ends. it is never 'enough.' so you gotta accept yourself as you are, as the car is as it is. and you just enjoy it on those terms. but at least get a 5-speed manual!
true...my max has 181k miles on it, i just drove kansas-houston-kansas in the space of 3weeks, exceeded clock out on the return trip, had a whole lot of fun on the trip....I am definitely keeping the car for at least another 2-3years. Main thing is while abusing a car, remember to add 2x the amount of abuse of tlc and you'll be fine. I am saving for a rebuild when i hit the 200k mark for reliability as well as for more power. When I do that, I intend replacing a lot of stuff under the hood with brand new more durable parts. Tell me that wont keep the car going for another 300k miles. This is definitely one of the best machines ever made....
Old 01-09-2003 | 07:18 AM

VG dialogue

i may either get a swap much later to the VG30ET, just for the h*** of it. or get another car entirely for a driver. you can get huge miles out of the car if you keep upgrading/rebuilding (if you're willing to keep up with little but huge things like bushings and ball joints and electrical pains in the *****). i plan to keep mine now at this point, no matter what. when i do park it, i'll keep it garaged and under a cover. it will be my personal 'classic.' i am realizing that the day does come when one must move on. "letting go."
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:04 AM

Re: VG dialogue

i may either get a swap much later to the VG30ET, just for the h*** of it. or get another car entirely for a driver. you can get huge miles out of the car if you keep upgrading/rebuilding (if you're willing to keep up with little but huge things like bushings and ball joints and electrical pains in the *****). i plan to keep mine now at this point, no matter what. when i do park it, i'll keep it garaged and under a cover. it will be my personal 'classic.' i am realizing that the day does come when one must move on. "letting go."
Despite pressure from my loved ones, I will never let go!! To them it's a 14 year old car with 145K on it to me, it's a realm of tremendous possibilities. I guess if you are that kind of person who likes custom cars, going out and buying a fat new ride is OK, but just too common. 12 sec. 1/4 mile here I come...
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:40 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: VG dialogue

little but huge things like bushings and ball joints
aint that the truth!!!! don't remind me....
Old 01-09-2003 | 09:55 AM

didnt you guys kow? a 3rd gen maxima is the american equivilant to an R31 Nissan Skyline.
Old 01-09-2003 | 11:59 AM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

Originally posted by male
Unless you are putting a 100+ shot of gas on there, with the appropriate fuel upgrade of course.

HUSH You dont need to tell everyone!! I want to sneek up on some of the unexpecting VE and VQ guys. (I think that DA-Max knows something!!!)
Old 01-09-2003 | 08:26 PM

query

what is "maximum tuning VB mod"?
Old 01-09-2003 | 10:59 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax

Toreass SHO
I'd have to agree

Bonzelite, got any pics of your car with all that Skyline stuff on it?
Old 01-09-2003 | 11:26 PM

image is everything

pics on the way. be patient. i want to drop the car first before i debut it on this forum. the stuff is ordered. actually, tonight, i just got two more spare skyline rims from a GTS-t. i'm collecting them at present. somewhat off the subject: a car i have grown to admire is the cefiro. those s.o.b.'s got awd and (if i recall correctly) the rb20det thing going on. like a maxima/skyline. they're popular drift cars. that'd be so way out to have one of those. you can get cefiro stuff but itz even harder to get than skyline stuff.
Old 01-09-2003 | 11:58 PM

Re: query

what is "maximum tuning VB mod"?
Maximum tuning is a auto shop that does Vavle Body Mods. If you have an auto you should look more into this.
Old 01-10-2003 | 01:28 AM

valve body

thanks. i have a 5spd. i will check it out anyway. the education is good.
Old 01-10-2003 | 05:06 AM

Originally posted by subs1000w
i wouldnt dump any money into an auto either i would not have bought it in the first place but thats just me, my ve will beat a stock sho and a 200hp 5spd legend but i drove a 6speed with 230hp once when i used to valet part and those are f###ing fast but ive never seen one of those for under 10k
There isn't anything wrong with an automatic. Most people can't shift a straight shift fast anyway. And if I ever learned that a valet was hot rodding my car, it would be the last time he even thought about it. I have supercharged Harley Davidson F150 that is very fast, and if I caught a valet mistreating it. I would kick his a$$ so hard he wouldn't forget it for a long time. That is just simply imature.
Old 01-10-2003 | 07:54 AM

Originally posted by RickC

There isn't anything wrong with an automatic. Most people can't shift a straight shift fast anyway. And if I ever learned that a valet was hot rodding my car, it would be the last time he even thought about it. I have supercharged Harley Davidson F150 that is very fast, and if I caught a valet mistreating it. I would kick his a$$ so hard he wouldn't forget it for a long time. That is just simply imature.
Nothing wrong with an auto..but no 5th to 3rd downshift either..and that is wicked fun! I can shift pretty fast on my cut down shifter (ghetto short throw) and centerforce dual friction. 5spd can put the engine right in the powerband anytime if you know your car. No heel/toeing so ther is no way an auto can match cornering abilty and power out of the apex. No clutch dropping smokey burnouts either. What fun is that?? The only auto I will own is going to be my tubbed, blown 8 second dragster..some day! BEt your F150 hauls some *** though! I rode in a friends Lightning and that thing shifted hard and was seriously fast..scary.
Old 01-10-2003 | 09:03 AM

yeah, I understand all the fun driving of a stick. I used to own a 1971 426 Hemi Cuda that would scare the crap out of anybody. Even the experienced. And I wasn't trying to step on any toes either.

Yes, the Harley and the Lightning share the same motor. The blower pulley is different on the Harley which accounts for most of the 40hp difference. But with a few mods such as a pulley and a chip and exhaust, you can be pushing 400 hp at the crank. It looses about 15% to the rear wheels and it draws serious attn running down the road. It's the strangest vehicle I have ever owned. It draws looks from any age from kids at the elementary school where mine goes, or from older grandpa's and grandma's. About the only other vehicle I have had to draw that kind of attention was an 84 Hurst/Olds Cutlass with those lightning rod shifters. Now that was a cool automatic, plus I had modified it some and it would do a burnout from standstill through shifting into third.