3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How much Hp can VG hold??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 05:02 AM

How much Hp can VG hold??

i was wondering how much Hp can the VG hold up too? if rebuilt? im not sure and i need to know...
Old 01-09-2003, 05:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: How much Hp can VG hold??

Originally posted by Turbo91max
i was wondering how much Hp can the VG hold up too? if rebuilt? im not sure and i need to know...
hmmm, the VG block itself...a rough guess...prob 500+hp. how big is your wallet?
Old 01-09-2003, 06:09 AM

it matters really....whats big? i know that the VG block is iron and it has lots of bore space....so....just give me some feed back ...
Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 AM

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/engloi.../vg30tips.html try looking here it will answer some of your questions.For the vg30et around 400hp on stock block. so it seems it easly can handle 500+hp when rebuilt with new rods and pistons.Iam using the z31 block and my goal is around 400hp to the flywheel. As iam using a built auto I will be happy with 350hp to the wheels on high boost and around 270hp on low daily driver boost level.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:13 PM

...i am doing a rebuild also ... and i going to some little things in the same areas as you but i am getting custom turbo pistons and everything ....i just was wondering if i put high boost will i crack it... i dont think i will but i am just trying to make sure i dont.. but i am going to a total rebuild and then a few little things here and there...i think everyone will be blown away.. so anyway thanks for the input.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

query

how do you set up a VG30ET to run FWD?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: query

Originally posted by bonzelite
how do you set up a VG30ET to run FWD?
you turn it sideways and stick it in the car...fits in fine!!!

shameless plug -->
http://www.turbomaxima.com/modules.p...view_album.php
BTW I added a few more pics(Lev 10 kit and motor before the swap)
Old 01-09-2003, 09:11 PM

Re: Re: query

wow. cool. ok, then. what does the VG30ET's "bottom end", the block sans heads and intake which are reused from the max, have that the regular VG30E lacks? i am assuming the bore and stroke are bigger, and the cam is higher lift. yes? and you need to use the ET's exhaust manifolds, yes? everything else will match? the mounts and all of the harnesses and hoses?
Old 01-09-2003, 09:19 PM

which vintage of VG30ET to use?

what is recommended to use as the VG30ET swap, ie, from what year and make and model of nissan? i assume it is the 300zx.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: query

VGT bottom end has 7.5-1 compression, but same bore and stroke as NA block. and yes the exhaust manifolds are needed from the VGT...heh, everything else matches kinda easy...but its basically straightforward!

wow. cool. ok, then. what does the VG30ET's "bottom end", the block sans heads and intake which are reused from the max, have that the regular VG30E lacks? i am assuming the bore and stroke are bigger, and the cam is higher lift. yes? and you need to use the ET's exhaust manifolds, yes? everything else will match? the mounts and all of the harnesses and hoses?
Old 01-09-2003, 09:24 PM

expound please

7.5:1 compression for VGET as opposed to what? go further with this, please. the compression is higher on the turbo than on the non, i assume. but what are the numbers and meanings? also, what is VTC?
Old 01-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: expound please

the compression is higher on the turbo than on the non, i assume.
nope, the opposite

turbo VG comp is 7.5:1
non turbo VG is 9:1

lower compression is perferred on most turbo cars to prevent/reduce detonation and allow for increased boost levels

use the search to find out what VTC is, its a popular topic.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:45 AM

ok lower compression is perferred but if you rebuild the engine and make it able to hold 9:1 compression + good amount of boost it works fine. if you replace all the internals of the engine and all the gaskets and all that you will be fine.... hey DA-Max ...did you rebuild that Z engine or did you just put it in... i hope you rebuilt it?.. anyway...if you did ...did you put turbo pistons in? just wondering....
Old 01-10-2003, 07:41 AM

From what I understand VG's don't have alot of material for boring, journal honing and things of that nature. If you want to build a relatively low $$ big HP VGT, run TT pistons and rods, get them lightened and balance the entire rotating/reciprocating assembly. Use stron head bolts an copper head gaskets. The block is plenty strong and should not be a major concern. If you want a bigger bore, use a vg33 block..more room to machine. Run stock or the euro turbo cams, put in strong springs and retainers, and make sure all clearances are in spec. These engines can run real high boost no problem. If you want a street and strip machine, you can run 25+ psi at the track then turn it down for the street. 500HP is certainly possible if you build it intelligently and spend money where it counts..the bottom end. Balancing everything is key, especially if you raise the redline to like 7.5K. Not a ton of power in the heads on these engines. But if you are going all out, might as will do a nice port and polish job. I intend on farming out most of the engine work to Paeco. I don't know of any Paeco VGT yet, so this may be a good source. I would build it myself but I have limited space, and all the running around I would do to machine shops and waiting for parts, it is worth an extra grand or so to have a precision built, reliable motor shipped right to me for installation, with a warranty. I will handle the turbo system..leave the critical tolerances to the professionals. Paeco also offers so many different sevices that I can customize the package..things like oversized/lightened valves, titanium parts, etc. They do basic head mods (port/polish and precision assembly) for under a grand..not bad, as long as their quality is what they claim. When I do it, I will send them some disposabel cameras and demand photdocumentation of every service..before and after shots ya know.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:27 AM

ok...well i am going through paeco for all of my interials, i am getting my block and heads done at a machine shop in town where i live. umm what you said about the VG block not having alot of space for bore and honning..?? isnt true.. have you ever looked at the cylinders before?? they have plenty of room for a bore/honning. the guy at paeco told me if i wanted i could just bore it out to a 3.4 or 3.5 if i really wanted too. and would be safe. so there is enough room. i am not trying to critize you or anything im just saying that is what i know .....
Old 01-10-2003, 08:41 AM

ok...well i am going through paeco for all of my interials, i am getting my block and heads done at a machine shop in town where i live. umm what you said about the VG block not having alot of space for bore and honning..?? isnt true.. have you ever looked at the cylinders before?? they have plenty of room for a bore/honning. the guy at paeco told me if i wanted i could just bore it out to a 3.4 or 3.5 if i really wanted too. and would be safe. so there is enough room. i am not trying to critize you or anything im just saying that is what i know .....
No offense taken man, we can all stand to be corrected at some time. I didn't realize a 3.5 was possible. Makes the whole vg33 swap pretty pointless. Let us know how everything turns out.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:42 AM

Old 01-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

its not my car, its Max O/Ds, I'm just helping him get it together! the current block is a stock VGT....the new block is in the works, BRC pistons, copper HGs, not sure on the rods...he's got some nice stuff planned once everything gets going! he's going for about 350hp I think on this current block...

and I got my Paeco catalog the other day...they have a great selection and services, prices seem resonable from what I've seen. you're getting the chrom moly or titanium rods?? are you getting any other work done to them, they have a nice deal going for like $40/rod on the ALL 5 or 6 of the "extra" services!!(that might have been for the pistons, I can't remember!?) and yeah 9:1 is good too, I dind't mean it has to only be low. the norm from what I've seen in the mags tends to be around 8.5-9:1 as far as aftermarket "off shelf" turbo pistons go!

hmmmm...3.5 VGT?!?!

ok lower compression is perferred but if you rebuild the engine and make it able to hold 9:1 compression + good amount of boost it works fine. if you replace all the internals of the engine and all the gaskets and all that you will be fine.... hey DA-Max ...did you rebuild that Z engine or did you just put it in... i hope you rebuilt it?.. anyway...if you did ...did you put turbo pistons in? just wondering....
Old 01-10-2003, 10:21 AM

yeah its possible according to paeco... and i believe them becuase they were just working on a VG engine for an old Z so... any i am going the chrome-moly.. he said that it isnt worth the like $3k for the titanium ones. yeah i am gettting forged pistons from them, .060" thick copper head gasket.... ... umm and when i get the block bored and honned i am probably going to be like 3.2 or 3.4 it matters how much it is worn ... ... i am getting deves piston rings....turbo pistons, all new valves, springs, retainers.. all the stuff for the heads. i am getting my cams grinded there... and i am getting the full gasket set... making custom headers... getting the ecu done too... and all the rest of the normal stuff.... so its going to be pretty nice.. and the thing is i am a senior in high school.. and this is just for my senior project.... i am going to turbo it in the summer ... but the only problem right now is the tranny i need to get that fix... so it can take the rebuild and... other than that ... im not doing that much.....

P.S. i know its not your car... i emailed you about the excuast manifolds remember... my name is dave and i live in CT... well it doesnt matter i remember who you are....
Old 01-10-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

3.0 to 3.5 liters with just a bore out?? That is ALOT of material to take off W/O lenghening the stroke and NOT boring into a water/oil jacket. And if you do bore it that much, do you really want a cylinder wall that much THINNER when you are going to boost it?

I think they offer the bigger motor w/ either a longer crank or longer rods. NOT with just a overbore.

But go ahead
Old 01-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

yeah its possible according to paeco... and i believe them becuase they were just working on a VG engine for an old Z so... any i am going the chrome-moly.. he said that it isnt worth the like $3k for the titanium ones. yeah i am gettting forged pistons from them, .060" thick copper head gasket.... ... umm and when i get the block bored and honned i am probably going to be like 3.2 or 3.4 it matters how much it is worn ... ... i am getting deves piston rings....turbo pistons, all new valves, springs, retainers.. all the stuff for the heads. i am getting my cams grinded there... and i am getting the full gasket set... making custom headers... getting the ecu done too... and all the rest of the normal stuff.... so its going to be pretty nice.. and the thing is i am a senior in high school.. and this is just for my senior project.... i am going to turbo it in the summer ... but the only problem right now is the tranny i need to get that fix... so it can take the rebuild and... other than that ... im not doing that much.....

P.S. i know its not your car... i emailed you about the excuast manifolds remember... my name is dave and i live in CT... well it doesnt matter i remember who you are....
no to knock u or anything...you're in highschool...how do u suppose you're going to fund this? your dream/ideas are great...but it's going to cost $. like my response..you can make ANY motor as fast as your wallet can take you. if you have some trust fund or something or a big bank account..then i say more power to you. want don't want you to be 1/2 way in this and run out of $ not to finish.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

oh okay...I remember now! but like Jeff said a bore out to 3.5 is a lot, I think THE MAX's turbo builder already said that not much can be done without thinning the cylinder walls out to a dnagerous point. and I think the 3.5 VGT is probably one of Paeco's avaiable stroker kits(full kit with custom rods, pistons, crank).
Old 01-10-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

oh okay...I remember now! but like Jeff said a bore out to 3.5 is a lot, I think THE MAX's turbo builder already said that not much can be done without thinning the cylinder walls out to a dnagerous point. and I think the 3.5 VGT is probably one of Paeco's avaiable stroker kits(full kit with custom rods, pistons, crank).
That's what I thought. Hence the idea of using the VG33 block. Honestly, I think a 3.0 at 25psi will put out plenty.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by male

No offense taken man, we can all stand to be corrected at some time. I didn't realize a 3.5 was possible. Makes the whole vg33 swap pretty pointless. Let us know how everything turns out.
Just for everyones knowledge the engine is coded IE VG30E is the VG block, 30 is the displacement and E means Electronic fuel injection.

Now not all VG blocks are the same. THe VG30DE is different the D meaning dual overhead cams. However, I believe the VG from the Max and the VG from the old Z31 are the same block.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:12 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEE really, you don't say??

Originally posted by jwtarbaj
Just for everyones knowledge the engine is coded IE VG30E is the VG block, 30 is the displacement and E means Electronic fuel injection.

Now not all VG blocks are the same. THe VG30DE is different the D meaning dual overhead cams. However, I believe the VG from the Max and the VG from the old Z31 are the same block.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:53 AM

well, first off i wasnt going to overbore it to 3.5, i was just saying that it is possible to do. my engine is coming out saturday and the work will be started some time next week or so. and the moeny is covered, i am getting help from a relative, but i am puttine plenty of my own money into it. so its not just like i am just given the money i am just fronted the money for now. anyway you all can argue over it but its going to happen and its going to be nasty...
Old 01-13-2003, 07:55 AM

well, first off i wasnt going to overbore it to 3.5, i was just saying that it is possible to do. my engine is coming out saturday and the work will be started some time next week or so. and the moeny is covered, i am getting help from a relative, but i am puttine plenty of my own money into it. so its not just like i am just given the money i am just fronted the money for now. anyway you all can argue over it but its going to happen and its going to be nasty...

Don't get offended, but basically we've all heard stuff like this before, someone says they're going to do this and that, and then they don't. It's not that w want you to fail, but you can't blame us for being a little unbelieving at times! That being said more powah to ya and i hope you do get it done!
Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 AM

Do it up man. We need more nasty 3rd gen's on the road
Old 01-13-2003, 09:21 AM

to clear up the engine boring thing this is what is in the paeco catalog:

stroker kit for out engines will yield
3582 cc coming up from 2971. (3.582 liter or 3.5 and 2.971 or 3.0 liter)
overbore is .200"
stroke increase is .250"
price is 1699.00 (ouch)

they can also sleeve the engine for "super" overbore sizes. i'm not sure if they can do that to our engines or not since people are saying there isn't much material to work with but you can do the stroker kit and the sleeve/bore to yield some really high displacement in our engines.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:11 AM

well.. i can understand how some of you are doubting me but... i have done alot of research on this for about 4 months or so now maybe more and i finally got the go ahead on it so... its going to be done... i know it will be done. the rebuild first, but rebuilding it to get it ready for the turbo ...then in july the turbo comes.. i will drive it around just rebuilt until about july and then the turbo.. it will be nasty ... but anyway.... those bore/stroke kit is for the 300zx ... basically the same but when i talked to the guy he told me that its about teh same but it might cast more.. becuase it might be different. it doesnt matter really i mine not sending my engine to them to get that done, i am sending it to a machine shop and they are going to do all the boring and honing + all the head work that needs to be done. the thing that is going to kill me is the tranny.. so thats about it...but all the other stuff i am not worried about becuase i have a really good machanic working with me that knows alot and isnt worried about it so far. i will keep you guys updated on whats going on.. saturday the engine comes out... i will post some pics maybe if i can get a digital camera. but anyway.. thanks for the support from you guys...
Old 01-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Large Member

DanNy has a great point. A while back I made a list of everything I'd want from Paeco or want them to do when building me an engine. Knife-edging, lightening, glasspeening, port/polish, new pistons, chromoly or titanium rods (I want Ti rods but $3k is insane)....... And the list goes on. Turbo91max, were you going to have them build you a short block or something? Either way, things will quickly add up to $6-9k+ for a lot of this stuff; if you are lazy like me and have them build it ;-) I guess I'm waiting quite a few years until I am financially stable enough to where I can drop $10k like it's nothing. And I am just going n/a, not even turbo! Besides, I have other things happening to sink money into (possibly a Porsche 944 Turbo soon, in addition to the Maxima).
Old 01-13-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Shadow1198
DanNy has a great point. A while back I made a list of everything I'd want from Paeco or want them to do when building me an engine. Knife-edging, lightening, glasspeening, port/polish, new pistons, chromoly or titanium rods (I want Ti rods but $3k is insane)....... And the list goes on. Turbo91max, were you going to have them build you a short block or something? Either way, things will quickly add up to $6-9k+ for a lot of this stuff; if you are lazy like me and have them build it ;-) I guess I'm waiting quite a few years until I am financially stable enough to where I can drop $10k like it's nothing. And I am just going n/a, not even turbo! Besides, I have other things happening to sink money into (possibly a Porsche 944 Turbo soon, in addition to the Maxima).
Good luck with the Porsche. I was looking for one for months. Even had some guy try and pass a non-turbo as a turbo. I would love to get my hands on a 944 Turbo. Just thought Id add my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Good luck working on one! Not easy from what I've heard from a 944-T owner!

Originally posted by Nismomaxt

Good luck with the Porsche. I was looking for one for months. Even had some guy try and pass a non-turbo as a turbo. I would love to get my hands on a 944 Turbo. Just thought Id add my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Good luck working on one! Not easy from what I've heard from a 944-T owner!

Im not sure it would be much harder than my VG. They have an inline four so theres a good amount of room in there. I think the biggest problem is the cost of parts.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

And where the put those parts.

Originally posted by Nismomaxt

Im not sure it would be much harder than my VG. They have an inline four so theres a good amount of room in there. I think the biggest problem is the cost of parts.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
And where the put those parts.

Yeah, Just hope you never need a tranny for a 944...or have to replace the radiator. You think your VG is tough to work on? It's a whole new world of she-it. German cars are unmatched in balance and performance, but the way they are put together makes our 3rd Gens look sensible! I only have experience with 944's though, along with numerous VW's and Bimmer's. Even the easiest tasks get hairy on these makes. Joy to drive them though! My $.02
Old 01-14-2003, 08:21 AM

since when did start being about a porsche, we were talking about 3rd gens here... whatever... doesnt matter.. its going to be done either way. i hope to have it drivable for the cruise down to DC in june. i think its then anyway....
Old 01-14-2003, 10:59 AM

since when did start being about a porsche, we were talking about 3rd gens here... whatever... doesnt matter.. its going to be done either way. i hope to have it drivable for the cruise down to DC in june. i think its then anyway....
Yeah, but how about those Porshes.....
Old 01-14-2003, 11:10 AM

928S and 3rd gen Maxima

i have a 3rd. gen. i'm sort of a devout fan of that one. liking other makes, too, i considered buying a 928S about two years ago. i read up on it diligently and did lots of leg work. looked at some. talked to owners of them and mechanics. and i tell you, it ain't worth it. the porsche looks awesome. but you gotta be kidding. the repair bills are in the thousands, every six months. and the resale value on the 928 absolutely sucks. it's worse than a high-maintenance girlfriend. i'm now modding my 3rd gen. it ain't no porsche, but it looks great and drives like a dream.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:15 AM

Re: 928S and 3rd gen Maxima

i have a 3rd. gen. i'm sort of a devout fan of that one. liking other makes, too, i considered buying a 928S about two years ago. i read up on it diligently and did lots of leg work. looked at some. talked to owners of them and mechanics. and i tell you, it ain't worth it. the porsche looks awesome. but you gotta be kidding. the repair bills are in the thousands, every six months. and the resale value on the 928 absolutely sucks. it's worse than a high-maintenance girlfriend. i'm now modding my 3rd gen. it ain't no porsche, but it looks great and drives like a dream.
You are exactly right, thats pretty much the same conclusion I came to when I went through my Porsche phase.

Quick Reply: How much Hp can VG hold??