3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I want a Maxima *really* bad... (long-winded)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I want a Maxima *really* bad... (long-winded)

I'm a new user here on the maxima.org forums and have been mostly lurking over the past few weeks gaining some general knowledge about Maximas. I'm a senior in high school seeking to find the best car that I can with the money that I have. The 3rd gen Maxima SE fit this description perfectly.

My Dad and I have had some colliding preferences of the right car for me. He wants me to spend way more money than I have right now (think around $9-10k) and have a car that will last several years. I want to buy a car now and have transportation for the last few months of my senior year, then buy a nicer car when I graduate. Trying to convince my dad that a third gen maxima (VG or VE, no pref) with a 5-speed transmission (which I haven't had too much instruction on how properly drive one yet) has been a near impossible effort.

For the past few weeks, I have been constantly looking through Autotrader and the local Seattle Times' classified ads to find any SE 5sp that I could use to show my Dad just how cool a third gen maxima really is. With luck, I found a Pearl White 5sp SE that wasn't too far away (near the Fauntleroy ferry docks and I'm in Burien/Normandy Park) and certainly wasn't out of my price range. However, the mileage (171k) was off the chart, according to my Dad. After seeing the car twice (thanks to my friends) and driving it once, the car was perfect. Other than the usual sparse dings in the windshield and a small tear in the center console, there was no physical damage, mechanical problems, or interior malfuntions--everything was good and working. The fact that the car was nearly 13 years old clearly didn't show.

After convincing my dad of the condition of the car and dragging him out to see it, his view of maximas "aka, the car that Dave thinks is the greatest" changed 180 degrees. It was a difference comparable to night and day. After driving it, he was hooked. A quick glance at the maintenance records for the past 6 years stuffed in the glove box showed the car had been taken care of and explained the near perfect condition of the car. However, things changed once we got back to the owner's house and heard that the car already had a deposit placed on it the day before (gee, perfect timing on his part). My Dad still continued to offer him various options to leave open in case the other potential buyers backed out of the deal. That didn't happen. The car did sell that day, but the experience was worth it.

Now my dad is convinced that a Maxima is "the car". That's a good thing. However, that car was the last third gen maxima that is being advertised for sale in the Seattle area. Damn. Here I am ready to buy a car, finally convinced my dad (although it was nearly an act of congress) that a Maxima is a good car, and there are none to buy.

There were some other Maximas advertised on Autotrader, but they were being sold by used car dealerships. I've avoided looking at them because you don't get the history on the car or any thoughts or feelings from the person that has driven the car for any extended period of time.

Oh well, I'm hooked to the forums now. I really want a Maxima too. I guess I'll just have to wait.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good luck on getting the ride you want..

Mine has lasted 224k miles so far and is still kickin'...
Even though my clutch-plate took a dump on me.. It was comin' though, now I got to wait for the money to fix it, aha..
Old 01-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hehehe... mine is about to roll over to 260k miles and I'm still haulin' ***. For a 14 year old car that was almost driven to the ground by the previous owner, I'm quite happy with it. Good luck on finding your ride man.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Soul Fly

no offense but 3rd gens are the shiit

Old 01-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Ford Only.

I have a 92 SE and it has 257k on it. I will never get rid of it. I have too many plans. If you want to take a road trip, there are several VE 5 speeds for sale here in SoCal for around $3k
Old 01-11-2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
I have a 92 SE and it has 257k on it. I will never get rid of it. I have too many plans. If you want to take a road trip, there are several VE 5 speeds for sale here in SoCal for around $3k
you sound like me. i plan on being very irresponsible and getting a loan to finish off my max, then in 14 monthes when i'm done with school(associates degree in auto tech then going back for a bachelors in business management part time) i'll pay off whatever is left on the loan and start looking for a brand new car and make the max a less streetable monster (wont disclose plans yet but i'm hoping to better harold's 13.2@108 before i make it less streetable :evil
Old 01-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey man, whats up?
im local to seattle, if you need any help, just hit me up.
also go for the VE. i might even be able to buy it from you when your done with it .
Also i have a VE (the engine and auto tranny) on a table in my shop at school, if you were to need anything, it wouldnt cost anything for shipping.

Its kinda hard to find good VE's in our area, or when they are, it almost costs as much as a 4th gen. They are a ton of fun to drive.

MrGone
Old 01-12-2003, 04:53 PM

Re: I want a Maxima *really* bad... (long-winded)

I have a 94 nissan Max 94 sohc auto for 4000, i just rebuilt the engine and i will and can deliver to two states from where i live dayton Ohio. I know u said se but there are very few of them out there and this max runs very good and i do have all the receipts to prove the rebuild, parts labor etc.

Thanks
MArtin
dkcao@msn.com

Originally posted by davebond007
I'm a new user here on the maxima.org forums and have been mostly lurking over the past few weeks gaining some general knowledge about Maximas. I'm a senior in high school seeking to find the best car that I can with the money that I have. The 3rd gen Maxima SE fit this description perfectly.

My Dad and I have had some colliding preferences of the right car for me. He wants me to spend way more money than I have right now (think around $9-10k) and have a car that will last several years. I want to buy a car now and have transportation for the last few months of my senior year, then buy a nicer car when I graduate. Trying to convince my dad that a third gen maxima (VG or VE, no pref) with a 5-speed transmission (which I haven't had too much instruction on how properly drive one yet) has been a near impossible effort.

For the past few weeks, I have been constantly looking through Autotrader and the local Seattle Times' classified ads to find any SE 5sp that I could use to show my Dad just how cool a third gen maxima really is. With luck, I found a Pearl White 5sp SE that wasn't too far away (near the Fauntleroy ferry docks and I'm in Burien/Normandy Park) and certainly wasn't out of my price range. However, the mileage (171k) was off the chart, according to my Dad. After seeing the car twice (thanks to my friends) and driving it once, the car was perfect. Other than the usual sparse dings in the windshield and a small tear in the center console, there was no physical damage, mechanical problems, or interior malfuntions--everything was good and working. The fact that the car was nearly 13 years old clearly didn't show.

After convincing my dad of the condition of the car and dragging him out to see it, his view of maximas "aka, the car that Dave thinks is the greatest" changed 180 degrees. It was a difference comparable to night and day. After driving it, he was hooked. A quick glance at the maintenance records for the past 6 years stuffed in the glove box showed the car had been taken care of and explained the near perfect condition of the car. However, things changed once we got back to the owner's house and heard that the car already had a deposit placed on it the day before (gee, perfect timing on his part). My Dad still continued to offer him various options to leave open in case the other potential buyers backed out of the deal. That didn't happen. The car did sell that day, but the experience was worth it.

Now my dad is convinced that a Maxima is "the car". That's a good thing. However, that car was the last third gen maxima that is being advertised for sale in the Seattle area. Damn. Here I am ready to buy a car, finally convinced my dad (although it was nearly an act of congress) that a Maxima is a good car, and there are none to buy.

There were some other Maximas advertised on Autotrader, but they were being sold by used car dealerships. I've avoided looking at them because you don't get the history on the car or any thoughts or feelings from the person that has driven the car for any extended period of time.

Oh well, I'm hooked to the forums now. I really want a Maxima too. I guess I'll just have to wait.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i wouldnt trade my ve 5spd for the world
Old 01-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Ford Only.

Re: Re: I want a Maxima *really* bad... (long-winded)

Originally posted by cosmos
I have a 94 nissan Max 94 sohc auto for 4000, i just rebuilt the engine and i will and can deliver to two states from where i live dayton Ohio. I know u said se but there are very few of them out there and this max runs very good and i do have all the receipts to prove the rebuild, parts labor etc.

Thanks
MArtin
dkcao@msn.com

Someone trying to sell the VG for some VE power?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:02 PM

Well damn, how much should I be asking for mine? It is allmost MINT. HAHAHA, and the engine is clean as hell too! It does have grounded VTC's though, but from what I read here, there is a 99% chance they will mess up anyway, LOL
How much should I be asking? The past owner changed the cv joint. I havnt had a single problem until I decided to spray the engine off, lol. It ended up being a blown fuse that was causing me so much headache last night.
Here are the specs
99 SE
5 speed
tan interior
bose system
Lady owned till me, but I have NEVER raced it.
Power sunroof
Power everything
heated mirrors
Exterior is Pearl White and in great shape
Interior is MINT.
Never smoked in, etc..
130K miles

Its got the works and is a great car, but Im starting another mustang project so she must go. I hate to get rid of the car since it rides so good but oh well.
How much should I be asking?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:12 PM

99 maxima value

Depending on where u live ur car on the average should be selling for around 8500 to 9000 dollars. The miles on a 99 is what is hurting but to me, a car that looks good is all that counts. Only age is the killer of all components not miles.

Martin

Originally posted by Slither
Well damn, how much should I be asking for mine? It is allmost MINT. HAHAHA, and the engine is clean as hell too! It does have grounded VTC's though, but from what I read here, there is a 99% chance they will mess up anyway, LOL
How much should I be asking? The past owner changed the cv joint. I havnt had a single problem until I decided to spray the engine off, lol. It ended up being a blown fuse that was causing me so much headache last night.
Here are the specs
99 SE
5 speed
tan interior
bose system
Lady owned till me, but I have NEVER raced it.
Power sunroof
Power everything
heated mirrors
Exterior is Pearl White and in great shape
Interior is MINT.
Never smoked in, etc..
130K miles

Its got the works and is a great car, but Im starting another mustang project so she must go. I hate to get rid of the car since it rides so good but oh well.
How much should I be asking?
Old 01-13-2003, 10:19 PM

Haha, im sorry man. My car is a 93, not a 99. I had a brain fart I guess :-(
How much now?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:26 AM

U maxima 93 130k se 5 speed

Ur maxima Is worth around 3500-4000

Mine is a year newer but is an auto which makes a difference on the market but i would prefer 5 speed also. Check prices in your area on KBB Kelley blue private car values.

MArtin