3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE stalling and stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:38 PM

VE stalling and stuttering

every now and then in the past week or so, the car would stall at idle when parked..

tonight it really hit; after sitting for a few hours i start up then stalls... start up again then stalls 2 minutes later. So i drive home and it keeps stuttering as i accelerate. As i stop for red lights it would stall or the rpms would flutter between 500 and 800 like it was about to die out

what i think it may be are clogged fuel injectors.. sat 11th i was on my way to work, already late when my fuel light just came on, so i figured id gas up after work.. of course i hit major traffic caused by people stopping to look at an overturned truck on the other side so it obviously used up more gas and JUST as i pull into the parking lot, car shuts down as i coast into a spot

i did a quick search and found the injectors to be the problem for some people, i just want some more thoughts..i use chevron fuel cleaner after every oil change, 3k miles

wierd thing is, it stalled once before this ran-out-of-gas problem, but tonight it was bad
Old 01-14-2003, 06:52 AM

Re: VE stalling and stuttering

Originally posted by Maximan190
every now and then in the past week or so, the car would stall at idle when parked..

tonight it really hit; after sitting for a few hours i start up then stalls... start up again then stalls 2 minutes later. So i drive home and it keeps stuttering as i accelerate. As i stop for red lights it would stall or the rpms would flutter between 500 and 800 like it was about to die out

what i think it may be are clogged fuel injectors.. sat 11th i was on my way to work, already late when my fuel light just came on, so i figured id gas up after work.. of course i hit major traffic caused by people stopping to look at an overturned truck on the other side so it obviously used up more gas and JUST as i pull into the parking lot, car shuts down as i coast into a spot

i did a quick search and found the injectors to be the problem for some people, i just want some more thoughts..i use chevron fuel cleaner after every oil change, 3k miles

wierd thing is, it stalled once before this ran-out-of-gas problem, but tonight it was bad
fuel pump? filter? gremlins?
Old 01-14-2003, 06:59 AM
blackonblack

Re: VE stalling and stuttering

Originally posted by Maximan190

Is your MAFS. Do a search on stalling & MAFS you will find your answer

Old 01-14-2003, 07:46 AM

using fuel cleaner can sometimes be bad because the chemcals are too harsh and might eat up the fuel injectors themselves. I would also suspect it's a bad fuel injector.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Derek94SE

It's not always the MAFS, it can also be the injectors, O2 sensor, and the wiring harness for the MAFS. I'm sure there are other causes as well, those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.