3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Good god in heaven, Whats wrong with my engine??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 09:42 PM

Ok Im FREAKING out...Im supposed to go the meet the 13th in Seattle, and my max is being weird! I just noticed it like 2 days ago, but the truth is, I listen to my stereo so loud things could go unoticed for months, I dont know if shes always been this way....theres this sound, (if your standing in front of the car) coming from the left middle corner, kinda near the engine, and big red oil thing, it really only does it before it goes into second...and if I rev the engine....its almost like a muffled blender, its not as bad as it sounds, but sumthins goin on, like theres a wad a paper flying around in the engine or sumthin, I really dont know how to describe it!...IM FREAKING OUT! HELP!!
btw, I need my valve cover gaskets replaced, my tranny was just rebuilt, I need my oil changed pretty bad, and I think I have some valves running at 50% or sumthin....if any of that helps...
Old 01-04-2001, 10:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

If I show up to the meet, I'll take a look at it.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:36 PM

Exhaust manifold studs, perhaps?

MaximaBella,
I am going to be at the meet on the 13th so if you're there I can try to help you diagnose your prob. Nice to know that there are maxima girls out there into their cars; maybe I can even get you to work on your car yourself and get greasy like the rest of us!!! I am not sure what you meant by your big red oil thing but if the oil light in your car on the dashboard ever goes on while you are driving, immediately pull off the road and stop your engine to aviod serious damage to your engine.........

Hope you can make it Jeff.....

Czar
Old 01-04-2001, 11:09 PM

hahahaha i realy like that line 'coming from the left middle corner, kinda near the engine' left, middle , corner? makes a lot of sense, j/k
Old 01-05-2001, 10:04 AM

sounds close to what mine sounded like when i needed a new timing belt. Could be that, maybe one of the pulleys is loose. Just a thought
Old 01-05-2001, 10:19 AM
Maxima Princess

Re: Exhaust manifold studs, perhaps?

Originally posted by Czar
MaximaBella,
I am going to be at the meet on the 13th so if you're there I can try to help you diagnose your prob. Nice to know that there are maxima girls out there into their cars; maybe I can even get you to work on your car yourself and get greasy like the rest of us!!! I am not sure what you meant by your big red oil thing but if the oil light in your car on the dashboard ever goes on while you are driving, immediately pull off the road and stop your engine to aviod serious damage to your engine.........

Hope you can make it Jeff.....

Czar
Damn you wanna come to Sacramento & show me how to work on my car too?? hehe j/k
Old 01-05-2001, 11:26 AM

If my motor only ran

I will spend the next few days installing a new engine in my max. but if my car ran today I would be happy to drive 700 miles to tinker on someone else's car...haha...

I will just be lucky to have my car done by the time of the meet next weekend.

I am posting to be a little closer to the non-newbie status.
Old 01-05-2001, 12:15 PM

Well you have all at least sorta eased my mind, Last nite when I checked it out, we thought for a second it was a wheel, until we reved it in neutral and it did it, right then and there I lost my appetite, and started moping around...god the emotional stress this car has put me thru...anyone looking to buy a 90 SE? I'll sell it!
I really appreciate you guys saying you'll take a look, the comradere (sp) is really kewl on here. Im looking VERY MUCH forward to the meet, long as my max doesnt fail me, Im comin' for sure...as for the timing belt, Just had it replaced last feb., I thought sumthin might be loose tho....
Old 01-05-2001, 12:27 PM
STFU n00b!

Hmmm, I've heard that the timing belts will make a sound like that when they're loose.. maybe the tensioner broke or has come loose on you.. I'd definitely have someone check it out at the meet this weekend. let's hope it's a simple fix!
Old 01-05-2001, 12:33 PM

Matt93, so it doenst sound like anything to major to you...I really doubt its that bad, something being loose sounds pretty accurate...I dont know where u are from, are you going to the meet?
Old 01-05-2001, 01:45 PM
STFU n00b!

Noooo, I'm not going to the meet.. I like in oklahoma..
I'll be with you in spirit though.. Looks like I'm going to be spending most of this weekend in the garage anyway..
new Engine mounts, change brake rotors, and some other troubleshooting to do on my car this weekend.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:14 PM
Foo90SE

Sounds like my motor kinda, about the valves at least. If i was out that way id look at it but its kinda a long drive There is a WAV of my motor on my website if u wana listen to what mine sounds like and compare let me know hehe

Originally posted by MaximaBella
Ok Im FREAKING out...Im supposed to go the meet the 13th in Seattle, and my max is being weird! I just noticed it like 2 days ago, but the truth is, I listen to my stereo so loud things could go unoticed for months, I dont know if shes always been this way....theres this sound, (if your standing in front of the car) coming from the left middle corner, kinda near the engine, and big red oil thing, it really only does it before it goes into second...and if I rev the engine....its almost like a muffled blender, its not as bad as it sounds, but sumthins goin on, like theres a wad a paper flying around in the engine or sumthin, I really dont know how to describe it!...IM FREAKING OUT! HELP!!
btw, I need my valve cover gaskets replaced, my tranny was just rebuilt, I need my oil changed pretty bad, and I think I have some valves running at 50% or sumthin....if any of that helps...

Old 01-06-2001, 03:30 PM

I know what it is!!! Boy being a girl can come in handy when you wander into auto part stores, lol. I was putting oil in, and the guy who worked there offered to hold the hood open, insted of putting in the 3 ft piece of wood I usually use, LMFAO! So I was like, do u know anything about cars...hes like UM YEAH!
So I told him what was going on, and some of the suggestions Ive heard, and he found it right away...I guess its a loose pulley? He was shaking this thing, and Im like YEAH thats the sound....now I have a new prob, more on that later