3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Possessed Seat Belt Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 07:16 AM

Quite recently while driving, my seat belt light lit up and the chime/bell started ringing. After 10 seconds or so, it went out. It's done this a few times and beginning to become annoying. Any Ideas?

I'm aready planning on buying a soldering iron to correct my power locks. Any chance this is another module with bad solder points?
Old 09-11-2000, 07:24 AM
is invisible

I have the same problem...

It tends to happen more when a pasenger is in the front seat. But when driving alone, I just give the shoulder belt a little tug and it goes away. I do plan on getting it fixed, but I think it's the seatbelt connection.

Any ideas on why a praking brake light stays on even after the lever is released?
Old 09-11-2000, 07:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: I have the same problem...

Originally posted by CoolMax
It tends to happen more when a pasenger is in the front seat. But when driving alone, I just give the shoulder belt a little tug and it goes away. I do plan on getting it fixed, but I think it's the seatbelt connection.

Any ideas on why a praking brake light stays on even after the lever is released?

1st problem...
there's a seat belt switch in the motor assembly itself. once that seat belt is all the way back the light goes out and stops the chime.
well sometimes that switch goes bad. keep in mind if the car has not been in an accident and you're sure there's nothing else wrong..(door pin switch) then take it to the dealer and have it repaired/replaced. seatbelts have lifetime warranty for the life of the car...so it's free.

parking brake light...
check the brake fluid..if it's low it's going to do that. then check the switch by the lever. on do the center console..(armrest area) and look to see if the switch is in good shape or does it need cleaning. i doubt it..but you never know.

good luck
Dan
Old 09-11-2000, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: I have the same problem...

there's a seat belt switch in the motor assembly itself. once that seat belt is all the way back the light goes out and stops the chime.
well sometimes that switch goes bad. keep in mind if the car has not been in an accident and you're sure there's nothing else wrong..(door pin switch) then take it to the dealer and have it repaired/replaced. seatbelts have lifetime warranty for the life of the car...so it's free.
Is the free replacement theorectical, or do you know someone who's successfully had Nissan do it? If you know someone who's had it done, what's the most direct way to explain to the dealership what's wrong & why it should be done for free? Is there a TSB about it?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2000, 01:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: I have the same problem...

Nissan Seatbelts have a life time warranty. Just make an appointment and make them fix it. It's a safety hazard (read-law suit) for your seatbelts to be potentially faulty.

Jeff