3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fog light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 07:38 PM

Fog light problem

I installed my silverstars a couple days ago, and when i was driving at night i turned on the fogs and headlights on. low beams works with the fogs on but when i put high beams on the fogs turned off, is there something wrong, is it because the high beams are too bright that the fogs turn off cuz its too bright??
Old 01-17-2003, 09:08 PM

Re: Fog light problem

Originally posted by maxima2k2
I installed my silverstars a couple days ago, and when i was driving at night i turned on the fogs and headlights on. low beams works with the fogs on but when i put high beams on the fogs turned off, is there something wrong, is it because the high beams are too bright that the fogs turn off cuz its too bright??
They are wired like that stock, to turn off when the brights are on. With the Hi beams on, your beams are aimed High, which is what you dont want in a fog since the light would reflect back into your eyes causing more glare, the fogs are mounted low on the car and work in conjunction with the low beams to try and cut under the fog, lighting up the road with less glare thus giving you improved visability in that type of situation. Plus, with the Hi's and fogs on oncoming traffic is potentially temporarily blinded. At least this is my experience, anyone else care to comment? The aftermarket bulbs have nothing to do with the way the car was wired from the factory.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:55 PM

Re: Re: Fog light problem

Originally posted by 89sks

They are wired like that stock, to turn off when the brights are on. With the Hi beams on, your beams are aimed High, which is what you dont want in a fog since the light would reflect back into your eyes causing more glare, the fogs are mounted low on the car and work in conjunction with the low beams to try and cut under the fog, lighting up the road with less glare thus giving you improved visability in that type of situation. Plus, with the Hi's and fogs on oncoming traffic is potentially temporarily blinded. At least this is my experience, anyone else care to comment? The aftermarket bulbs have nothing to do with the way the car was wired from the factory.
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html

you can wire them so they work independently
Old 01-17-2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by maxima2k2
how good are those bulbs, how much $ and where did you get them from?

Old 01-18-2003, 10:18 AM

what is your opinion of the silverstars?

I am considering switching to either silverstars or xtravisions...i keep hearing good stuff about both.
i'm inclined towards the xtravisions since silverstars are said to be not too effective on dark highways, and i often travel interstate at night.

what does your experience say?
Old 01-18-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Maximan190

how good are those bulbs, how much $ and where did you get them from?

they bulbs i have are very good, i just installed them 1 week ago and i got them from auto zone, 19.99 per bulb
Old 01-18-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by drstillpatient
what is your opinion of the silverstars?

I am considering switching to either silverstars or xtravisions...i keep hearing good stuff about both.
i'm inclined towards the xtravisions since silverstars are said to be not too effective on dark highways, and i often travel interstate at night.

what does your experience say?
i think silverstars are the best bulbs, befor i had phillips cool blues and they are not as bright as the silverstars. i havent tried xtravisions yet, how are those compared to silverstars?
Old 01-18-2003, 04:55 PM

i was checking out opinions on these two types of bulbs on some forum sometime back...cant remember which one it was...

people who used silverstars AFTER they had used xtravisions said that at night they had to check their light switch to see if their lights were even on at all and some said they were switching back to the xtravisions....

people who hadnt used xtravisions also said silverstars burnt really bright when looked at from the front but they didnt illuminate the road out front like "other" halogens.

i didnt read ANYthing negative about the extravisions...besides the fact that they are considered "regular" halogen bulbs but 20% brighter.

i havent used either but i'd like to know your opinion about the silverstars...ESPECIALLY at dark highways.

i'm looking for a place that sells both these bulbs so i can check for myself.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 AM
jreddington

i'm looking for a place that sells both these bulbs so i can check for myself. [/B][/QUOTE]

I found all of these, regular, xtravision, blues, and silverstars at Pep boys. Just bought a replacement bulb to install in a friend's Mazda. Can't really say what they are in comparison but I bought the xtravisions for here since they were only $2 more than regular. From what I can remember, regulars were $8, xtravision, $10, blues at $14 and silverstars at $24 (model 9006 I believe for her Mazda, not sure what the Maxi takes).

For only $2 more I thought it was a no-brainer to go with the brighter xtravision. Not sure if the other two are worth the extra bucks.

Jim R.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by jreddington
i'm looking for a place that sells both these bulbs so i can check for myself.
I found all of these, regular, xtravision, blues, and silverstars at Pep boys. Just bought a replacement bulb to install in a friend's Mazda. Can't really say what they are in comparison but I bought the xtravisions for here since they were only $2 more than regular. From what I can remember, regulars were $8, xtravision, $10, blues at $14 and silverstars at $24 (model 9006 I believe for her Mazda, not sure what the Maxi takes).

For only $2 more I thought it was a no-brainer to go with the brighter xtravision. Not sure if the other two are worth the extra bucks.

Jim R. [/B][/QUOTE]

does your friend feel any difference with the xtravisions compared to the old bulbs in her Mazda?
I think i will go with the xtravisions....the silverstars are said to be not very effective on wet roads or when its raining cuz of how their light reflects off water.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:05 PM

autozone sells them too.

I bought the xtravisions a while back and installed one in my car to compare against the stock bulb. I couldn't tell a differnce so I returned them. Silverstars are supposed to be really bright, but all the pics I've seen are from the front, I haven't seen how the light up the edges of the road; I figure that would have to do more iwth the light assembly than the bulb though since the assembly focuses the light.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:46 AM
jreddington

My friend didn't really notice any difference with the new xtravision bulbs but she's not a car nut and may not have picked up on any difference anyway. For $2 extra not a big deal.