3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Newbie Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 08:32 PM

Newbie Help

I think that those of us that know more than the average maxiam owner about our maximas should put together somr info letter to send out to the new maxima.org members cause I think that it is kind of messed up how someone new who comes to the forum or any forum gets slammed when they try and ask a simple question about their Max as simple as it may seem. The more people we have trying to hook up their maximas maybe the more atention we will get from the aftermarket!! Just a thought. It may also cut down on the repeated and easy ?'s we gwt week after week. I think that would make this forum a bit more fun with less negativity.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:54 PM

Re: Newbie Help

Originally posted by MethMax
I think that those of us that know more than the average maxiam owner about our maximas should put together somr info letter to send out to the new maxima.org members cause I think that it is kind of messed up how someone new who comes to the forum or any forum gets slammed when they try and ask a simple question about their Max as simple as it may seem. The more people we have trying to hook up their maximas maybe the more atention we will get from the aftermarket!! Just a thought. It may also cut down on the repeated and easy ?'s we gwt week after week. I think that would make this forum a bit more fun with less negativity.
I agree. The flaming gets unbearable here. I asked a simple question a couple of weeks ago and got third degree burns. In one thread I replied to, I was in a good mood and answered with a joke and then the real info. The later posts directed at me...were bad to say the least. Anyway, I think it's a good idea. I know enough about most cars to get around, but I'm pretty much new to maximas.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The newbs are having a pity party!!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:41 PM

LOL

Yeah and your not invited, JK I was just saying im not a newbie but I think that something should be explained to them befor they just start posting easy ?'s and the get burned for no reason. I want more maxima ethusist that know something and get the right info when needed. If someone doesnt get the right answers thats when you start having ricers. Not a bad additude like what just happend.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:48 PM

Re: Re: Newbie Help

Originally posted by Red93SE
I agree. The flaming gets unbearable here. I asked a simple question a couple of weeks ago and got third degree burns. In one thread I replied to, I was in a good mood and answered with a joke and then the real info. The later posts directed at me...were bad to say the least. Anyway, I think it's a good idea. I know enough about most cars to get around, but I'm pretty much new to maximas.
What's sad is the people doing the flaming are newbies themselves. I havent even logged into Max.org for weeks now because of the overwhelming amount of annoying newbies who suddenly think they're the ish on the site. So back into lurking I go. The third gen forum on here is pretty much becoming worthless.

Anyways the majority of 3rd gen owners now are hand me down 16 yr olds with rice boy intentions. So, whatdya expect. Off into the distance I go.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Newbie Help

Originally posted by James12345

What's sad is the people doing the flaming are newbies themselves. I havent even logged into Max.org for weeks now because of the overwhelming amount of annoying newbies who suddenly think they're the ish on the site. So back into lurking I go. The third gen forum on here is pretty much becoming worthless.

Anyways the majority of 3rd gen owners now are hand me down 16 yr olds with rice boy intentions. So, whatdya expect. Off into the distance I go.
Not a pity party... Just because I don't know as much about the maxima as I know about the truck I traded for it doesn't mean I'm an ignorant flaming moron. I may just be a youngsta, but I have no rice boy intentions. I'm all about speed. I'm not even going to put any kind of a sound or video system in my car to keep the weight down. I'm sure there are a few newbies on here that have rice fever, but don't put all the young newbies into one basket because I'm sure that most of them are like me...just a few simple questions to ask.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is there's no real reason to flame the h*ll out of somebody for asking a question. Just tell them to search or whatever (politely, please).
Old 01-18-2003, 11:56 PM

well the reason why people get flamed here are becasue they ask questions that have been asked many times before and answered over and over again. there is a search link and also there is the facts page. one can certainly find tons of info between the two. i personally do not flame anybody because i do not know nearly as much as some the other members. i mainly lurk through the threads to find out info on my car. i can definately see how some of the members get fed up with answering the same questions over and over again. i myself get annoyed reading the same threads more that once. there is even two important threads and the top of the page that say 3rd gen facts and attention new members. so use the search, that is what it is there for. it has been good to me. good luck in finding info.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:13 AM

newbie slaying

I can completly understand what your saying a bunch of times I sign on and see people posting things about really easy things that for one could be answered if they just had a 15 manual or the patience to just look and search. Thats Y I was saying they should have to read a post with all the easy questions strictly for there gen of maxima, so that they dont have to ask them on the board. or just treat tehm like a kid and make them search for 5 things befor they can post something
Old 01-31-2003, 11:36 AM

What we should do is make all new users a 'trial member' for a certain time (like Honda-Tech does) before they can become real users. That'll learn em to search cuz they know if they dont they'll be gone.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 2 cents...
Let me first say, in relative terms I'm a 'newbie'. I'm 30 tho, and have been through the 'flamming' on my Chevelle site. I agree that certain automotive / Maxima specific things could be written down as a useful tool in aiding people - all of us. However...., I don't see the problem in answering a question that has been asked a 100 times before. Why? Because if you are constantly forced to do searches, you can be there forever, and may not find what it is you're looking for. Mainly, I don't see the problem in repeat discusions, because that's what car guys are all about - shooting the sh&t and helping one another. I actually take pleasure in trying to apply my (average) knowledge to a question someone has asked - sort'a get a kick out'a it?
Also, as I'm sure we all know, it's difficult to explain exactly what's going on with a vehicle in this format - can be long, and complicated to expalain sometimes. Some topics may seem the same, but when you do a search, you find your particular problem is 80% the same, but 20% different. It's that 20% you then need help with.
So yes...., do a search first. If that doesn't help, or there's a unique difference, why not feel comfortable in being able to post 'yet again'? And for those answering....., take the time, try to be helpful, be mature about it, and know that your greater knowledge base may actually make or break someone's day.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Newbie Help

Ahhhh... READ THE STICKIES DAMMIT! It's exactly what you just requested.

Now you know why people get flamed! It's because despite our best efforts to educate people with less knowledge, they still don't take the time to read the obvious information.

If you guys can't take the time AND EFFORT to read the simple stickies, why should we take the time to answer your questions AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN, AND AGAIN etc?

Originally posted by MethMax
I think that those of us that know more than the average maxiam owner about our maximas should put together somr info letter
Old 01-31-2003, 12:41 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

p1ssing and moaning belongs in the feedback forum
Old 01-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by shvelle
My 2 cents...
Let me first say, in relative terms I'm a 'newbie'. I'm 30 tho, and have been through the 'flamming' on my Chevelle site. I agree that certain automotive / Maxima specific things could be written down as a useful tool in aiding people - all of us. However...., I don't see the problem in answering a question that has been asked a 100 times before. Why? Because if you are constantly forced to do searches, you can be there forever, and may not find what it is you're looking for. Mainly, I don't see the problem in repeat discusions, because that's what car guys are all about - shooting the sh&t and helping one another. I actually take pleasure in trying to apply my (average) knowledge to a question someone has asked - sort'a get a kick out'a it?
Also, as I'm sure we all know, it's difficult to explain exactly what's going on with a vehicle in this format - can be long, and complicated to expalain sometimes. Some topics may seem the same, but when you do a search, you find your particular problem is 80% the same, but 20% different. It's that 20% you then need help with.
So yes...., do a search first. If that doesn't help, or there's a unique difference, why not feel comfortable in being able to post 'yet again'? And for those answering....., take the time, try to be helpful, be mature about it, and know that your greater knowledge base may actually make or break someone's day.
I figured your were a former or current Chevelle owner with your name.

I own a 66 Chevelle...hence my name awsm66-my tag for the car...I got it when I was 15 and am 31 now. I am going to start back restoring it this year when I am finished with my 93 Max.

Sorry for whoring this thread but just responding to another chevelle owner.
Now back to the newbie bashing for the rest of you.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Jon91SE
p1ssing and moaning belongs in the feedback forum
Hum...

You were Maxse91 right?

How'd you get your name changed and your post count/join stuff kept?

I got locked out of my James92se account months and months ago and had to start over with this James12345 crap. I'd like to get back my original name and join date and that crap or at least get my post counts consolidated. When Jambo owned the site I e-mailed him like 10 times with no help/response. What'd you do?
Old 01-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by James12345

Hum...

You were Maxse91 right?

How'd you get your name changed and your post count/join stuff kept?

I got locked out of my James92se account months and months ago and had to start over with this James12345 crap. I'd like to get back my original name and join date and that crap or at least get my post counts consolidated. When Jambo owned the site I e-mailed him like 10 times with no help/response. What'd you do?
Talked to Kev

My account was never deleted or anything, just the name changed...
Old 02-03-2003, 08:31 AM

NEWBIE HATERS

I'm fairly new to the org but its pretty obvious that some of the .org's more knowledgable members are on a HUGE EGO TRIP. I understand the need to use the search tool , but as was mentioned b4 that doesnt always work. So then what? Obviously the person will post a new thread.. If you dont want to answer because its SOOO beneath you to repeat yourself (1 or 100 times)then just dont respond, I'm tired of hearing sob stories from grown-up babies telling us how annoying it is to repeat themselves, nobody even cares... Don't wanna answer, then don't.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: NEWBIE HATERS

That's what I do. Know what happens? Other newbies start answering w/ wrong info. Then what?

Originally posted by Pearl90gxe
I'm fairly new to the org but its pretty obvious that some of the .org's more knowledgable members are on a HUGE EGO TRIP. I understand the need to use the search tool , but as was mentioned b4 that doesnt always work. So then what? Obviously the person will post a new thread.. If you dont want to answer because its SOOO beneath you to repeat yourself (1 or 100 times)then just dont respond, I'm tired of hearing sob stories from grown-up babies telling us how annoying it is to repeat themselves, nobody even cares... Don't wanna answer, then don't.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:43 AM
Getting back to his roots

Re: NEWBIE HATERS

When I came here, I probably spent a good two weeks just reading all the information on the site before I even posted. This included:

*Howstuffworks.com so I could understand what camshafts, drive pulleys and various other engine components were
*The FAQ's on the main page (under MaxFAQs)
*The installation instructions on the main page
*The member websites mentioned in the stickies at the top of the page (which didn't exist when I got here, I went through threads to find the links)
*Doing searches on questions I had and being persistant when I had to go through threads that weren't any help

It just seems to me that the newbies just come in, ask a question and expected to be handed the answer on a silver platter. An analogy would be in a classroom, where instead of reading a book, a student asks a teacher for an answer, and gets mad when the teacher won't give it. Also, the student can't understand when the teacher has answered the same question 3 times in one day and won't do it a fourth time.

Be a responsible org'er, and you will be treated with respect.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:05 AM

help the newbies

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mizeree_X
[B]When I came here, I probably spent a good two weeks just reading all the information on the site before I even posted. This included:

[QUOTE]

I did the same thing, (often finding broken links), It defintely helped, good suggestion..