3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car Wash/Window Control Unit Horror Story (kind of long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:37 PM

Car Wash/Window Control Unit Horror Story (kind of long)

I took my car to a car wash today at one of the local Exxon stations. I get there and the lines were long as hell, and I had to wait about thirty minutes before I could even get it washed. I finally get in and the car wash starts. I’m just chillin’ listening to some music when WTF! I’m being sprayed with clear coat protectant! I look around me and I see it’s being sprayed all over my car and three of my windows were down! As I was just sitting there, three of the windows just rolled down right in the middle of the car wash! So I’m still being sprayed in the face, now trying to roll my windows back up (my right rear window has a bad regualtor that I havent had time to fix). I get the two windows up on the right hand side and I’m leaning back trying to get the rear window up, all the while being sprayed with water/soap. I realize I’m not going to get the rear one up unless I get out of the car and that’s not happening, and I start getting sprayed again. The windows we’re rolling down all by themselves, and when I rolled them back up, they would roll right back down as soon as I took my finger off the button.
All this is going on and there’s no way I can get out of the carwash because it’s the kind with the garage doors that close when you drive in. The carwash finally shows me mercy and begins the dry cycle. Now there’s a freaking wind tunnel going on, and I’m trying to do some damage control, but damn – all I have is one lousy napkin (I use it wipe off my mp3 player) There’s water and clear coat crap all over my car, and I’m pretty much soaked. My windows are all fogged up because of all the moisture so I’m trying to defrost them. It’s really ridiculous.
The car wash finally gets done with its abuse, and I exit the car wash. I roll out with three windows down, windows all fogged up, water dripping from head (I look like I jumped out in the car wash and took a bath), and I’m ****ed off, so you can imagine the looks I get from other people at the gas station. Oh – and of course now I’m speeding to get home, because its 10 degrees outside and water is actually freezing inside my car. I get home and grab mad towels and go dry my car up the best I can, and finally get all three windows up and power lock em.

I don't know what the hect triggered it, can you imagine that of all times for the window conrol unit to go bad it's right in the middle of a carwash?!

Anyway, I'm guessing it's the window control unit in the drivers side door thats gone bad. It only makes sense to me.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sorry to hear...
lesson to the rest of you guys...change your power window control unit if it's acting funky..OR else don't go to car washes.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
sorry to hear...
lesson to the rest of you guys...change your power window control unit if it's acting funky..OR else don't go to car washes.
Yeah - and if it does start to act funky, power lock them!!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:53 PM

Man I'm sorry top hear that, but I can't quit laughing. That crap seems unreal to happen in the middle of a car wash. I feel like I should email the story to all my friends at work, when their having a bad day. That sucks, sorry.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Gjohnson
Man I'm sorry top hear that, but I can't quit laughing. That crap seems unreal to happen in the middle of a car wash. I feel like I should email the story to all my friends at work, when their having a bad day. That sucks, sorry.
I know it's hilarious, so dont feel bad about laughing. It sucked while it was happening, but as soon as I got everything cleaned up and dry, I couldn't help but laugh about it.

Clayton
Old 01-23-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE

I know it's hilarious, so dont feel bad about laughing. It sucked while it was happening, but as soon as I got everything cleaned up and dry, I couldn't help but laugh about it.

Clayton

I'm glad your mature enough to take it like a man. Oh, and you've got a clean Max, no hummor intended. What type of wheels are those? Size?
Old 01-23-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Gjohnson

I'm glad your mature enough to take it like a man. Oh, and you've got a clean Max, no hummor intended. What type of wheels are those? Size?
Yeah it did clean up nice, lol. They are At Italia S5 17s.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

man thats about the craziest thing I ever heard I know that must have sucked cause it was like 18 degrees today out here!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:21 PM

sorry to see that happened to you in this weather...hilarious car wash story...never heard anything like it before ( i mean the windows developing a mind of their own)...lol

i hope it didnt damage any electronic controls inside the cabin.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

man that stinks I am glad it cleaned up without ruining anything.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 PM

It was one of those times when I almost expected a guy to pop out and say "you're on candid camera".

Man, I can't even explain the feeling I had when when I was sitting in the car wash and everything inside my car was wet. I thought everything would be ruined. I just hope no water got down into to anything else electrical.

Luckily though, I was pretty close to home where there were lots of dry towels waiting.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:28 AM

Re: Car Wash/Window Control Unit Horror Story (kind of long)

I took my car to a car wash today at one of the local Exxon stations. I get there and the lines were long as hell, and I had to wait about thirty minutes before I could even get it washed. I finally get in and the car wash starts. I’m just chillin’ listening to some music when WTF! I’m being sprayed with clear coat protectant! I look around me and I see it’s being sprayed all over my car and three of my windows were down! As I was just sitting there, three of the windows just rolled down right in the middle of the car wash! So I’m still being sprayed in the face, now trying to roll my windows back up (my right rear window has a bad regualtor that I havent had time to fix). I get the two windows up on the right hand side and I’m leaning back trying to get the rear window up, all the while being sprayed with water/soap. I realize I’m not going to get the rear one up unless I get out of the car and that’s not happening, and I start getting sprayed again. The windows we’re rolling down all by themselves, and when I rolled them back up, they would roll right back down as soon as I took my finger off the button.
All this is going on and there’s no way I can get out of the carwash because it’s the kind with the garage doors that close when you drive in. The carwash finally shows me mercy and begins the dry cycle. Now there’s a freaking wind tunnel going on, and I’m trying to do some damage control, but damn – all I have is one lousy napkin (I use it wipe off my mp3 player) There’s water and clear coat crap all over my car, and I’m pretty much soaked. My windows are all fogged up because of all the moisture so I’m trying to defrost them. It’s really ridiculous.
The car wash finally gets done with its abuse, and I exit the car wash. I roll out with three windows down, windows all fogged up, water dripping from head (I look like I jumped out in the car wash and took a bath), and I’m ****ed off, so you can imagine the looks I get from other people at the gas station. Oh – and of course now I’m speeding to get home, because its 10 degrees outside and water is actually freezing inside my car. I get home and grab mad towels and go dry my car up the best I can, and finally get all three windows up and power lock em.

I don't know what the hect triggered it, can you imagine that of all times for the window conrol unit to go bad it's right in the middle of a carwash?!

Anyway, I'm guessing it's the window control unit in the drivers side door thats gone bad. It only makes sense to me.
Awesome looking car! Where did you get the rear wing? Also those wheels are killer!
Old 01-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

It was one of those times when I almost expected a guy to pop out and say "you're on candid camera".

Man, I can't even explain the feeling I had when when I was sitting in the car wash and everything inside my car was wet. I thought everything would be ruined. I just hope no water got down into to anything else electrical.

Luckily though, I was pretty close to home where there were lots of dry towels waiting.
did they charge u extra for cleaning the inside too?
Old 01-24-2003, 08:41 AM

i was about to say the same thing.. well i am glad that you didnt get the hot wax treatment..

this remines me of the first time i took my max to the car wash and i had to learn how to close my moon roof...lol.. b.c it was used alot you have to kinda close it in a certain manner so that the water doesnt get in. any ways the wash went ok.. but when it was time for the dryer the water was forced threw the gap of the sun moon roof and cold *** water came in and splashed my and my gurl...lol

but man thanks clayton.. you have made my day, and gave me something to smile about.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:11 PM

drive-thru interior detail...you dry yourself

I'm glad my story made everyones day seem much better. Next time your having a bad day just try to think of what happened to me in the car wash and your day wont seem that bad anymore
Old 01-25-2003, 06:51 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Dude

that is so fed up but ,dude that is funny.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:03 AM

Man Im am not kidding, that exact thing happened to me too!!! I rolled into the car wash one day and while the power wash wash comming around the front of the car, my driver window fell down. Just Fell. I tried to roll it up frantically, wouldn't work, just stayed there. As the wash turned, I ducked for cover, like a tornado drill in elementry school, hands over head and all! BUT I KNEW IF YOU ROLLED OFF THE TIRE STOP, THE WASH STOPS. Its like a safety thing. Every wash has it. So when I pulled off, the wash stopped and I started home. When I got home I found the window had jumped the track inside. And all of that frantic button pushing had caused the lines inside to jump off all of the pulleys. That was fun to fix.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

This almost happened to me when I first got my Max. I decided it was filthy so it needed a good washing. At this point I'd been rolling around with all the windows down because it was a rather warm day. As I was pulling up to the wash I started to roll up all my windows, except the passenger side front wouldn't budge. Thankfully the regulator broke before the wash could pull me in. the only thing that didnt make me happy was the $300 something repair bill for the stupid thing...