3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Could code 51 be caused by something in fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could code 51 be caused by something in fuel tank?

Hello, new member. I'm very glad I found this helpful site, thank you all. My girlfriend bought a 92 Maxima SE months ago.

Soon after purchase we discovered the following:
Engine light came on, then
Rough idle, up and down
With AC on in idle it stalls
Reduced power 15-30%, a few times it has "kicked in" in the middle of an acceleration leaving me to believe it was ignition.

This condition would last for days then go away for days

Replaced spark plugs
Replaced cap and rotor
Wires good, checked spark in all cylindars, OK
Replace fuel filter and air filter

No change,the only thing that seemed to improve it was putting fuel injector cleaner in, but only temporarily (100 mi or so). Dealer said replace 6 injectors for $1800. The laidy we bought it from had them recently serviced, probably in a failed effort to solve this problem.

I checked the onboard computer. In mode III it is telling me Code 51, Fuel injector circuit open California models only (Im in CA.)

One last piece of data. I could be wrong but as I recall, this problem occurs when the gas gets low and until about 10 mi after I fill up and put in the injector cleaner. So could it be that I have something foreign floating in the gas tank? rust, water or vandals prank. Or is this a stretch?

Shoot, one more thing I thought odd. I was having a friend drive while I did the diagnostic test on the computer. Most times that I turned the screw clockwise to change modes, the car stopped acting lame. Then when I got to the right mode and turned it back, it would start running poor again. Could I be dealing with a bad computer?

Once that has been answered, my plan is to do the following:

1. Get stethoscope, try to find an injector that sounds different from the others.
2. Check resistance on injectors.
3. If one is isolated, replace. If not,
4. Find and clean out throttle body
5. Remove and clean all injectors.

Does this seem sensible? Anything I should add (o2 sensors?) or take off of this list? Your advice on this will be most apprecaited!

Thank you,
Carlson
Old 01-30-2003, 04:14 PM

Re: Could code 51 be caused by something in fuel tank?

First of all if you have a '92 SE, then you do not have a cap and rotor, b/c you have a distributorless ignition system.

Yes clean the TB very easy to do.
Check the resistance of the injectors to see if they are in spec. anything out of spec should be replaced. Also the injectors are know to leak via the o-rings, there is a complete fuel injection tune up kit available for our cars that contains ALL new seals and gaskets (do a search on the org). Also be sure to clean ALL the conacts on the injectors they too are known to corrode and lead to poor performance, some members have even chosen to replace these connectors.