3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bose problems. confusing ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

bose problems. confusing ....

Sorry if these questions may have been answered already. but it is still confusing to me and since i have spent so much time on it, i would like to finish it off.

the problem.
I have a 91 maxima. 3 speakers(driver side + 2 rear) never worked since i purchased it. took out my rear amps and examined it. had a lot of black coloration around the caps and IC's. replaced the cap and tried it again. didn't work. checked my rear speakers at home and they both work fine. so i purchased 2 rear amps from another 91 infiniti. they look neat and good. when i tried them this is what i noticed.
* my right rear amp was indeed giving out the signal but it was so
weak , i had to hold up the speakers to my ear to hear it, even
on high volumes.
* nothing on the left amp. swapped the 2 amps. nothing on right,
nothing on left.
So i concluded that
* one of the newer amps may be busted, although it *looks* ok.
* maybe there is no audio signal on the left channel at *all*.

since speakers work good (when tested @ home), one amp when connected
to the right speaker gives a faint output, leaves me thinking whether it is the HU causing problems. I am assuming relay is not the cause since my passenger side audio works just fine.

The question is where do i go from here. i really want to get to the bottom of this. thanks for all the help.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:54 AM

You could try connecting the speakers and amps to the passengers side (the one you know that works) and this will help to confirm if the amps are bad or the head unit.

If the amps and speakers don't work then replace all of the caps and clean the board as best you can. All of the caps will leak over time and fail so it is best to replace them all at once.

Brent
Old 02-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

geez, is an aftermarket stereo/amp that expensive? I dont know why you ppl like to preserve that bose crap! Get you a $150 cd player, some decent speakers besides that bose crap, and one decent 4 channel amp and your set!!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:18 AM

Weel the reason people like the Bose is because it has the cleanest, clearest sound. I just spent 800 dollars on an aftermarket system and i wish i had my bose back.

If you need new speakers i have a set from my car. They are in real good shape. The amps don't come with them but the speakers are good. They worked great when i took them out.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:13 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I have tip top condition working front Bose speakers+amps for sale in my sig
Old 02-10-2003, 07:19 PM

Re: bose problems. confusing ....

Originally posted by torino89

The question is where do i go from here. i really want to get to the bottom of this. thanks for all the help.
A problem I had with my '93 was a bad wire some where behind the head unit. The wire that triggers the power relay for the amps was funky and the amps would cut out until I stuck my hand back there and moved the harness around. Never found the problem 'cause the head unit died, I went aftermarket, and the relay was no longer needed.

Check to see that the amps (check one) are getting 12v at the plug. If not, happy hunting. Check the fuse too (not sure which at this time)

BTW, the relay is located behind the driver's kick panel if I remember right. You should be able to hear a light "click" when you power on the radio
Old 02-10-2003, 07:51 PM

spending 800 and it sucks, well then i would get some advise on getting audio equipment. Anyways i had an amp go in my car and i switched my rear amps with the one in the front so i could have the power in the front and guess what it didnt work that way. Bose is tricky in itself. Do the switch to aftermarket i did it months ago and i am happy. i spent 300 cost because my frined works at best buy on interiors otherwise it would've cost well over 550. Just think about if another amp goes do u want to keep replacing them at at leat 100 a piece
Old 02-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well the reason people like the Bose is because it has the cleanest, clearest sound. I just spent 800 dollars on an aftermarket system and i wish i had my bose back.

man im sorry but when i buoght my 92 i got rid of the bose and rewired with aftermarket after the first week. the bose was such a bland sound and i could not stand it any longer. and who ever installed your $800 system either did something wrong or there was a bad selection or combination of products because it shoud have sounded alot better than the bose

anyway just do it right the first time and you wont have any more problems
Old 02-10-2003, 08:31 PM

Well i never said my system sucked. You people just assumed that. When i bought my car my stereo was like brand new, the people i bought it from used it to listen to classical music and talk radio. I still liked the fact that i didn't have to have a subwoofer to get good bass from my bose System. They are one of the best audio companies in the world.