3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 05:10 PM

Preventative Maintenance

Hey guys, I know I haven't been on the 3rd gen forum very much but I have a question that only a 3rd gen max owner would know the answer to(there are not alot of 3rd gen max's on the Canada forum).
I was doing my oil change the other day and noticed something on the front exhaust manifold. On two if the studs there is a space in between the nut and the manifold and when the car heats up the space is gone. My assumption is that the manifold is warped and when its warms up it assums a warped state. Now what my question is is that would it do me any good to change my exhaust studs now or just remove the manifold and get it shaved down. It won't be that hard for me to replace them as I have stated before they are all there and none have broken as yet. Thanks for any advise. Ryan.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:31 AM

Re: Preventative Maintenance

Originally posted by DigitalDashMax
Hey guys, I know I haven't been on the 3rd gen forum very much but I have a question that only a 3rd gen max owner would know the answer to(there are not alot of 3rd gen max's on the Canada forum).
I was doing my oil change the other day and noticed something on the front exhaust manifold. On two if the studs there is a space in between the nut and the manifold and when the car heats up the space is gone. My assumption is that the manifold is warped and when its warms up it assums a warped state. Now what my question is is that would it do me any good to change my exhaust studs now or just remove the manifold and get it shaved down. It won't be that hard for me to replace them as I have stated before they are all there and none have broken as yet. Thanks for any advise. Ryan.

I dont think you'll have to shave it, just use a new exhaust manifold gasket and new studs and you should be fine. I'm assuming you will be removing the exhaust manifold and cleaning the surface, right?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

Take off the manifold and then run a straight edge across it. If there is a big gap, consider buying another one. If it's straight, then go ahead and reinstall it along w/ all new studs.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:45 PM

If there is a gap I bet you have broken studs; they look OK until you torque them and they fall out or snap off. Plan on replacing all the studs; they will all break over time! If the manifold is warped, you can get it planed flat at a shop.

Martin 90 SE 5sp
Old 02-10-2003, 02:46 PM

If there is a gap I bet you have broken studs; they look OK until you torque them and they fall out or snap off. Plan on replacing all the studs; they will all break over time! If the manifold is warped, you can get it planed flat at a shop.

Martin 90 SE 5sp
Old 02-10-2003, 09:12 PM

Soooo.....

What that means is that they may look ok but when I get the maifold off they will probably break?! Or will they break when I try to remove them? either way it still sucks. Thanks for the info though. Ryan.