3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:31 PM

Electrical Problem

My car has been operating okay, and I started it yesterday and it was fine. While still idling, I turned on the lights, and the rpm dropped to zero and the car almost stalled, but picked it back up idled fine. As I was driving home, the rpm dropped again, and this time the car stalled. I tried starting the car again, but it won't even try. Also, I put the car into park(stupid), and now it won't move out. Can this simply be a bad fuse? If so, which one is it? I don't know what else would cause this - the battery is fine as the lights still work, but I think it has to be some electrical connection gone bad for the car to just stall like that. any help?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:56 PM

Re: Electrical Problem

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JMunaretto
My car has been operating okay, and I started it yesterday and it was fine. While still idling, I turned on the lights, and the rpm dropped to zero and the car almost stalled, but picked it back up idled fine. As I was driving home, the rpm dropped again, and this time the car stalled. I tried starting the car again, but it won't even try. Also, I put the car into park(stupid), and now it won't move out. Can this simply be a bad fuse? If so, which one is it? I don't know what else would cause this - the battery is fine as the lights still work, but I think it has to be some electrical connection gone bad for the car to just stall like that. any help? [/QUOTi

i was driving one day and my car just shut off on me. I didnt know what was wrong because the key wasnt able to come out and i also could get it out of park. So then I poped the hood and my battery terminal was lose.
I dont know if this is the same with your car but give it a look and make sure the pos and the neg arent lose. Oh yeah make sure your not drivng on low gas i hope this helps
Old 02-09-2003, 11:40 AM

The battery connections seem fine, and the fuses seem to be good as well. I tried turning it on today again, and of course nothing, I couldn't even turn on the accessories. Door lights and the security indicator work when I open the door, however. Still can't shift out of park when pushing down on the break pedal. Any other guesses to what this could be?
Old 02-09-2003, 12:29 PM

My guess is a bad alternator. My car was acting the same way. Once I jump started it, the headlights would kill it. I was seeing 12.4V across the battery at Idle, you should se more like 14V at start up. Check it out with a voltmeter. Bad Alternator is my guess, maybe someone else will have another opinion. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just because accessories may work does not mean you have enough power to start the car so dont rule out your battery yet

have you tried jump starting it?

could be something as simple as a fuse/relay or something bigger like starter, alternator, or battery