3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Welcome to Kindergarden

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:38 PM

Honda - my maxima killer...

Today, a honda (I'm not sure which model, between 98-02 year), was obviously faster then my max(not talking about racing). "sniff". And I just replaced my stock spark plug wires with NGK blues. "sniff". I was trying to get rid of that weird firing, found my stock plug wires were at have the resistance as the new ones.
The car still hesitates, and fires wrong, but it's a little better. The nissan dealership couldn't find what was causing it either. BAP auto parts guy says it revs good, but there is hesitation, and that platinum split fire clearn that up(are they NGK, I think thats the only kind to use in the max[VG]?), but that they're $11 a plug. I do have hesitation. And I'm sad that a stock honda is faster then a 4DSC. What to do , what to do? Even my sisters boyfriends dodge dakota is slightly faster. I have a JWI, can't afford much else, should I do anything for it? I'm thinking of looking at the distributer cap, but mine doesn't look like the one in haynes manual... :L
Old 02-06-2003, 10:09 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Well err if you have a VG what do you expect?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't know what to tell you... I have an unmodified VG... yet somehow I always put these rice boy hondas in their place....

Old 02-06-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by James92SE
It was either VG or 85 volvo station wagon...
I really wanted a 92 SE from the start, but it is almost impossible. Most 3rd gen maximas get sold within hours of postings here. The ones that don't are POS, and out of all of them, maybe 2-5 of 50 were SE. I paid $2900 for the car, 2k a week later when the tranny failed, and another 1.2k for new engine mounts(which I didn't need) and an injector. It wasn't a choice for me VE or VG, it was try and find a maxima not torn apart for sale... but I can just drop the 350z engine in there in a month, right?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
I don't know what to tell you... I have an unmodified VG... yet somehow I always put these rice boy hondas in their place....

thats not the one on your page?
JWT POP Charger
JWT Cams
JWT Reprogrammed ECU
ACT Clutch
STILLEN Aluminum Flywheel
Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley
Warpspeed Performance Y Pipe
Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat
Flowmaster Exhaust
is that a VG or VE, and how much did the performance mods cost you total? have you dynoed it to see how much power they have given you?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

looks like someone got busted

Originally posted by doomtoo

Old 02-06-2003, 10:24 PM

JWT POP Charger
JWT Cams
JWT Reprogrammed ECU
ACT Clutch
STILLEN Aluminum Flywheel
Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley
Warpspeed Performance Y Pipe
Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat
Flowmaster Exhaust

OH MAN!!! That always gets everyone who doesn't read the fine print.

If you look very closely, you will see that it says:

"Heres a short list of what I plan to do to my baby."

Old 02-06-2003, 10:31 PM

OH MAN!!! That always gets everyone who doesn't read the fine print.

If you look very closely, you will see that it says:

"Heres a short list of what I plan to do to my baby."

Ah. Heh. Ok, how much will you plan on spending then? I really like my max, but really like horse power :S So I would prefer to do 3k worth of mods(maybe a new engine) and get it close to 300hp(I'd be happy at 225hp, but with only spending 1k), or I can use that money as a down payment on a new car. I don't have the money now of course... maybe ina year or two :E
I could sure use a job.. "sigh"

but still.... a honda... I was shifting("manually" on an automatic) at about 4-4.5k rpm too.... there was no way... "sniff"*takes out back seats*
Old 02-06-2003, 10:40 PM

Ah. Heh. Ok, how much will you plan on spending then?

but still.... a honda... I was shifting("manually" on an automatic) at about 4-4.5k rpm too.... there was no way... "sniff"*takes out back seats*

I don't really know how much I'll end up spending. One mod at a time.

And hondas usually can't touch me. I own them from 1st through second gear. I usually hold 3rd for fun so they can catch up before slamming it into 4th and 5th.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:42 PM

Ah. Heh. Ok, how much will you plan on spending then? I really like my max, but really like horse power :S So I would prefer to do 3k worth of mods(maybe a new engine) and get it close to 300hp(I'd be happy at 225hp, but with only spending 1k), or I can use that money as a down payment on a new car. I don't have the money now of course... maybe ina year or two :E
I could sure use a job.. "sigh"

dude...get over it....your cars a VG...that Honduh was probably a V6 (if it was an accord that is) and it WAS a newer model like u said...dont blame your older max for letting u down.

if it were a 90-96 honda that beat you....then yeah u could cry...infact i'd come there and slap you myself

as for those spark plugs...dont they say that platinum plugs are not recommended for VGs? most i've read is that NGK copper is recommended for our VGs.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 PM

lol you arent going to get anywhere shifting at 4-4.5k when you just start getting to peak power!
try 6-6.5k :P
Old 02-06-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Logan91VE
lol you arent going to get anywhere shifting at 4-4.5k when you just start getting to peak power!
....and see your pistons flying out of your hood in the process...

where does the red line start on your car Logan91VE?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:55 PM

You do know that redlining does you no good Logan.... right???
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 PM

as do i...
Old 02-07-2003, 01:16 AM

Re: Honda - my maxima killer...

Today, a honda (I'm not sure which model, between 98-02 year), was obviously faster then my max(not talking about racing). "sniff". And I just replaced my stock spark plug wires with NGK blues. "sniff". I was trying to get rid of that weird firing, found my stock plug wires were at have the resistance as the new ones.
The car still hesitates, and fires wrong, but it's a little better. The nissan dealership couldn't find what was causing it either. BAP auto parts guy says it revs good, but there is hesitation, and that platinum split fire clearn that up(are they NGK, I think thats the only kind to use in the max[VG]?), but that they're $11 a plug. I do have hesitation. And I'm sad that a stock honda is faster then a 4DSC. What to do , what to do? Even my sisters boyfriends dodge dakota is slightly faster. I have a JWI, can't afford much else, should I do anything for it? I'm thinking of looking at the distributer cap, but mine doesn't look like the one in haynes manual... :L
VG motors USE non Platinum plugs go back to the normal ones
Old 02-07-2003, 01:18 AM

dont be too quick to put downt he VGs my Vg can keep up if not beat my Prelude
Old 02-07-2003, 01:58 AM

damn, ripping a new kid apart. Geez, here's my take - its an auto. My 5 speed could hang with mid 90's V6 accords thru 3rd gear when their vtecs kick in. And from what i've been reading and seeing, VE are just a pain in the a**. My friends got a 94 VE 5 speed.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

well your friend apparently doesnt know how to use the search engine on this forum or else you wouldnt say that, and dont even start talking trash about a ve my 92 is fast as ***** i have taken my friends eclips gsx and my cousins clk430 and both couldnt believe it stock hondas dont even compare, and i have had a few minor problems but i havnt spent over 500 fixing them all together and thats not bad considering i drive the pis out of an 11 years old car, so my advise to you is go forced induction or go home, auto vg's are not "fast" stock
Old 02-07-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by subs1000w
well your friend apparently doesnt know how to use the search engine on this forum or else you wouldnt say that, and dont even start talking trash about a ve my 92 is fast as ***** i have taken my friends eclips gsx and my cousins clk430 and both couldnt believe it stock hondas dont even compare, and i have had a few minor problems but i havnt spent over 500 fixing them all together and thats not bad considering i drive the pis out of an 11 years old car, so my advise to you is go forced induction or go home, auto vg's are not "fast" stock
true they aren't....until you simply switch trannys. I have never had an issue with any hondas. Maybe cos I've never done one that has forced induction or a swap or sumpth. At least not that I know of. Sad thing is my cuz has one. Good thing is he fears maximas now.

doomtoo your redline starts at 5500.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by lophix

true they aren't....until you simply switch trannys. I have never had an issue with any hondas. Maybe cos I've never done one that has forced induction or a swap or sumpth. At least not that I know of. Sad thing is my cuz has one. Good thing is he fears maximas now.

doomtoo your redline starts at 5500.
But isn't redlining it majorly hurt the engine? I used to redline more, but "'ol betsy" doesn't feel quite as happy afterwards..... Also, 2-4k RPM I have the best acceleration usually... Alot of the time it won't "go" when I press the gas, it'll kinda slowly start going faster, and the engine will sound like it's "gasping" more air or something(not alot of power but loud g-u-u-u-u, and gas pedal doesn't respond to well).

I'd be happier with a five speed, but the automatic was just rebuilt about 2k miles ago. cost 2k! Maybe if I could come out ahead.. How much do you think it'd cost to get a 5spd put in? Would I be able to sell my current transmission at the least for the difference? Would it be wise, or just keep driving the car how it is for the next 5 years?
Old 02-07-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well stop posting here so much, buy a Nissan FSM and fix your car. Then maybe you can finally outrun something better than a Yugo.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well stop posting here so much, buy a Nissan FSM and fix your car. Then maybe you can finally outrun something better than a Yugo.
I could probably outrun a yugo... But I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fix my car. Took it to the dealership. They found nothing wrong. Bought the NGK spark plug wires(my stock wires were 2x the resistance of the NGK), that helped some. But it's still there... But since then, none of the mechanics can really find a big problem with it(hey, free advice!) except that it "hesitates" a bit.
I need to replace the distributer cap, and then there recommendations wre "try it untill it explodes" :P I guess it's good advice - I'll just save up for a different car in 2-3years. For 5k right now I could get a allready heavily modified 93 /w VE, but I'm going to save up for a 4 door car, that can have close to 300HP, without going over 7k total. I dunno what it is, but I'll be looking(no money now ).
Thanks everyone, I probably won't be on for a bit, unless my sisters BF's truck is still faster... :S
Old 02-07-2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Logan91VE
Hey, will you send me pics of your 91VE please??? I'll pay you 50 bucks for pics of your 91 VE.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by nismo1989

Hey, will you send me pics of your 91VE please??? I'll pay you 50 bucks for pics of your 91 VE.
you just lost money.

He is for real.

It is a jdm car (he is in NZ I believe)and he has posted pics here in the past.

It is very clean too.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

searched and found the pics

pic of outside

and

pics of motor and other
Old 02-07-2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by awsm66

you just lost money
He is for real.

It is a jdm car (he is in NZ I believe)and he has posted pics here in the past.

It is very clean too.

Yeah, he's in New Zealand I believe. I've razzed him before about his car looking like a GXE, and someone already proved me wrong about it. I was fooling around, I never see him post on the boards anymore and noticed him in the middle of this thread.

awsm66 Thx for the e-mail, but I've already seen his car
And yeah, it does look like a GXE!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:27 PM

speak of the devil.. :P

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rancom/car/
thats the pics of my car, bit of a strange one really!

..my redline is 6.5k and the auto tranny regularly shifts by itself at about that so it cant hurt the engine (much) i have a VE though. VG's have lower redlines and lower rpm at peak torque so you could probably shift at 5.5-6k sweet as.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:44 PM

what's so bad about running platinum plugs on the VG engine? i have them in for about 8 months now. i don't notice anything bad. *knocks on wood*
Old 02-08-2003, 09:55 PM

subs1000w

sorry, but like i said, it is an auto vg. FYI, i am on my second VG 5 speed. I've also driven my dad's vq 5 speed. And i've worked on a 2nd gen maxima (my aunts) - still don't think I eat/breath maxima? i think i know what i'm talking about. As for my friend, he hates his ve, for some reason, something i couldn't comprehend (tick, tick). His is still very quiet.

Yes, VE's can still kick my butt, but so can v6 accords in 3rd gear.

Ryan
Old 02-08-2003, 10:47 PM

oh nevermind i found lots of stuff when i did a little search
Old 02-08-2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Maxnine
Yes, VE's can still kick my butt, but so can v6 accords in 3rd gear.

That's funny, because I always manage to put those accords in place with my VG Max.

Hmmmm.......
Old 02-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

That's funny, because I always manage to put those accords in place with my VG Max.
the 200hp V6 Accord or the 140hp 4cyl one?? V6 Accord will beat a stock VG 5spd or auto after 25-30mph....
Old 02-09-2003, 12:22 AM

Yeah I can run with the 6s all day long. Not my fault these rice boys have no idea how to drive their car. I'm sure a later gen accord with an experienced and knowledgeable driver could put me in my place, but as long as they aren't here in Vegas, it's not gonna happen.

Old 02-09-2003, 03:56 AM

Maybe it was a Honda S2000
Old 02-10-2003, 02:36 PM

Yeah, i could hang with him (V6, 190hp auto accord)until top of 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd gears, i have no problems. I did take him once, but the other 2 times, he took me. we did have actual 1/4 mile runs.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:09 PM

*unsubscribes from thread*
Old 02-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

*unsubscribes from thread*
why'd you subscribe in the first place??
Old 02-10-2003, 03:18 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

who changed the name of this thread?

welcome to kindergarden is pretty funny and about right
Old 02-10-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

why'd you subscribe in the first place??
It does it automatically I guess I need to change my user options dealie. But when stock VG boys start to think they're faster than they really are is when I stop reading
Old 02-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

especially automatic VG boys

Oh wait, thats me. But not for long