3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Two questions on the air system in the car(circulate?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 08:43 AM

Two questions on the air system in the car(circulate?)

The first one is, where does the "circulate" button vent in the air? After turning it on, the air comming out is pretty moist and smells like old socks... hamster died in the system? :P
The second thing, the rightmost air vent only puts out cold air. Even when all the other 3 are putting out steaming hot(when heater is on, haven't tried this problem in the summer becuase just found out), it's still putting out cold air. How should I try going about fixing these?
Old 02-07-2003, 02:36 PM
rcy

Re: Two questions on the air system in the car(circulate?)

Originally posted by doomtoo
The first one is, where does the "circulate" button vent in the air? After turning it on, the air comming out is pretty moist and smells like old socks... hamster died in the system? :P
The second thing, the rightmost air vent only puts out cold air. Even when all the other 3 are putting out steaming hot(when heater is on, haven't tried this problem in the summer becuase just found out), it's still putting out cold air. How should I try going about fixing these?
The recirc button closes a door near the blower motor, preventing fresh air from outside from entering the system - the grills near the wiper arm (oustide) is where air is normally sucked in. When you use recirc it is just circulating the air that is already in the car past the heater core/evaporator. When the A/C is operating, the evaporator removes moisture from the air - this moisture runs down the evaporator fins and through a drain in the bottom of the 'box' that the heater core/evaporator are located in. If this drain gets blocked, the water has nowhere to go and you get mould/mildew old socks smell when you run the system. Of course it's more noticeable when using recirc as there is no fresh air to mix with the smelly air. In my '88, I opened the 'box' thing that holds the heater core/evaporator and removed several handfuls of old leaves and twigs and crap from the bottom of the box. After doing this, I noticed for the first time since buying the car used, water running from under the car when using the A/C as the condensation was finally able to drain properly. No more stinky old sock smell either.

Sorry can't help you with your other problems.