3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another Headlight Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003 | 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another Headlight Question...

Hello again everyone!

O.K. I know this is a favorite topic on this board but I have yet another question about headlights.

I have the stock headlights in my Max and I've upgraded them to true HIDs with a conversion kit from HIDS4LESS.com. The problem is, since the headlights use the dual-filament design, too much of the light output from the HID bulbs shines into oncoming cars annoying them. I have tried to aim the headlights numerous times but I think the light output pattern is just not what it should be for these bulbs. My question is, does anyone know of a different headlight setup that might help with this problem? I have thought about doing an "Angel Eyes" conversion but the Beamer headlights use a different bulb than the stock setup. Meaning I would have to purchase another HID conversion kit or try and beg for an exchange from the retailer. I should have done more research into the HID conversion kit before purchasing it, but hindsight is always 20/20. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2003 | 01:13 PM

Re: Another Headlight Question...

Originally posted by jhamann
Hello again everyone!

O.K. I know this is a favorite topic on this board but I have yet another question about headlights.

I have the stock headlights in my Max and I've upgraded them to true HIDs with a conversion kit from HIDS4LESS.com. The problem is, since the headlights use the dual-filament design, too much of the light output from the HID bulbs shines into oncoming cars annoying them. I have tried to aim the headlights numerous times but I think the light output pattern is just not what it should be for these bulbs. My question is, does anyone know of a different headlight setup that might help with this problem? I have thought about doing an "Angel Eyes" conversion but the Beamer headlights use a different bulb than the stock setup. Meaning I would have to purchase another HID conversion kit or try and beg for an exchange from the retailer. I should have done more research into the HID conversion kit before purchasing it, but hindsight is always 20/20. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
]

why not modify the bmw lights to get the hid's to work. only problem is that youll have high and low on the same light, as opposed to the inside light , but its better than paying 5 bills for a new setup
Old 02-13-2003 | 01:35 PM

Re: Another Headlight Question...

Hello again everyone!

might want to message D-sta...he too have a HID kit installed into his stock headlight housing. looks really good
Old 02-13-2003 | 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Another Headlight Question...

Originally posted by shavedmax

]

why not modify the bmw lights to get the hid's to work. only problem is that youll have high and low on the same light, as opposed to the inside light , but its better than paying 5 bills for a new setup
Hmmm. That might work. As long as the bigger bulb (stock) will fit in the BMW headlight even with modification. Sounds kind of complicated though. I wouldn't want to do something wrong and screw up a new set of headlights. Maybe I could get a body shop or a mod shop to help me with the modification. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-13-2003 | 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Another Headlight Question...

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan

might want to message D-sta...he too have a HID kit installed into his stock headlight housing. looks really good
Great! Sounds like someone who would know the best solution. How do you find out someone's email/IM who hasn't communicated with you? Can you do a search?
Old 02-13-2003 | 01:54 PM

HID's look cool. I love them one of the best things that I put on my car. I never tried aiming them because both beams are equal in height and brightness. Also I don't care if it annoys the person in front of me, all I care about is that I can see the road real well and I do. My kit comes as a 9004 converstion where the HID bulb plugs right into the stock headlight socket, so both bubls sit at the same height and are in tight so that bumps dont cause them to move that much. If you are getting BMW lights in your max, you can try to get these in but the 9006 bulb is completely different from the 9004 and it will be hard to get in there. I would sell this kit if you are going to get BMW lights and get 9006 bulbs so the fit i correct. This is how the HIDs look like on my car, 7500k.

Old 02-13-2003 | 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D-sta
[B]HID's look cool. I love them one of the best things that I put on my car. I never tried aiming them because both beams are equal in height and brightness. Also I don't care if it annoys the person in front of me, all I care about is that I can see the road real well and I do. My kit comes as a 9004 converstion where the HID bulb plugs right into the stock headlight socket, so both bubls sit at the same height and are in tight so that bumps dont cause them to move that much. If you are getting BMW lights in your max, you can try to get these in but the 9006 bulb is completely different from the 9004 and it will be hard to get in there. I would sell this kit if you are going to get BMW lights and get 9006 bulbs so the fit i correct. This is how the HIDs look like on my car, 7500k.

Looks a lot like my car! Where did you get your conversion kit? My kit sounds very similar to yours. The bulbs fit right in the existing sockets but each bulb has a ballast unit connects the bulbs into the existing sockets. I might just have to deal with people flashing me all the time. They do provide so much more light. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-13-2003 | 02:20 PM

The name of my conversion kit is HID Plus by SPW industries. It consists of all german components like a Hella Ballast and Hella Bulb.
Old 02-13-2003 | 02:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by D-sta
The name of my conversion kit is HID Plus by SPW industries. It consists of all german components like a Hella Ballast and Hella Bulb.
I got a similar kit from HIDS4LESS.com. All German components and a 5-Year Warranty on everything (includes bulb-failure). Pretty happy with it but wishing I would have done the BMW headlight conversion first. Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2003 | 02:30 PM

Jhamann

this might sound really riceee but u might try to put some dark tint at the top of your headlight glass so that the low beam doesnt scatter too high...purely from the economical point of view...i dunno how it would look cosmetically.

this way u could run your current HID setup and also not blind the oncoming person with your "low" beam ...

(it might also effect your high beam ofcourse)
Old 02-13-2003 | 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by drstillpatient
Jhamann

this might sound really riceee but u might try to put some dark tint at the top of your headlight glass so that the low beam doesnt scatter too high...purely from the economical point of view...i dunno how it would look cosmetically.

this way u could run your current HID setup and also not blind the oncoming person with your "low" beam ...

(it might also effect your high beam ofcourse)
That might work pretty well. I should have thought of that!

Yeah, I don't know how good/"Rice" it would look but if it does the job, I might be willing to live with it. Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-13-2003 | 02:50 PM

That might work pretty well. I should have thought of that!

Yeah, I don't know how good/"Rice" it would look but if it does the job, I might be willing to live with it. Thanks for the idea!
just live with it!
Old 02-14-2003 | 08:34 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by D-sta

just live with it!
Hey, D... are you still selling some of those?
Old 02-14-2003 | 09:28 AM

yeah contact optionmotor@yahoo.com He takes like two days to get back and remember to mention that Diego from Maxima.org sent you. List what color kit and bulb size you want and you should be in good hands.
Old 02-14-2003 | 09:28 AM

I rear ended someone last week and broke my stock headlight housing

Old 02-14-2003 | 10:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

generally 9004 HID pattern suck.
no matter what you do to shield or move the headlight the light would be all over the place.

if you don't believe me take a pic with your 9004 HIDs to a flat wall...then take a car w/ H4s and light them up to the same wall..you'll see the difference.
Old 02-14-2003 | 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by DanNY
generally 9004 HID pattern suck.
no matter what you do to shield or move the headlight the light would be all over the place.

if you don't believe me take a pic with your 9004 HIDs to a flat wall...then take a car w/ H4s and light them up to the same wall..you'll see the difference.
I'm getting that impression from personal experience. If only I would have waited until I switched out the headlights for something better. Oh well, live and learn. I'll probably just have to live with the crappy pattern blinding some oncoming drivers. Fitting punishement for not thinking through the order of my mods. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-15-2003 | 07:47 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DaBoxSE
I rear ended someone last week and broke my stock headlight housing

Dude... hit me up and let's deal! I still have my OEM headlights and I'd be willing to work something out with ya. After all, us "charcoal Max club" members have to stick together!