3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas Mileage & Heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gas Mileage & Heating

In winter it gets to be sub-tundra temperature in Montreal,(Canada) and I must say that my 94 GXE automatic full-loaded Max looks and feels like a show-room condition car. I am convert. Used to be a Honda disciple but felt I was getting gipped. Guys feel proud of your Maxima!

It currently has over 110,000 Miles (175,000KM)! Anywayz: to make a long story longer...I decided to install a block heater in this year to ease the burden on the starter at -40 degree weather. After I had it installed, I feel I dont get enuf heat in the car. OK probably air in the cooling system when they flushed out the rad. But when I drive I feel frozen air coming from a notch below the steering column (not the tiny vent but the notch above it). Is there a problem with the ventilation ducting?? Has anyone experienced such a thing?

On Gas mileage, My Max has been consumeing like a Mack truck since a couple of weeks esp. for city driving. It really surprises me! Any connection with above problem? Engine sludge perhaps combined with freezing weather we've been having?

Old 02-14-2003, 12:36 PM

Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

Originally posted by Pogo
In winter it gets to be sub-tundra temperature in Montreal,(Canada) and I must say that my 94 GXE automatic full-loaded Max looks and feels like a show-room condition car. I am convert. Used to be a Honda disciple but felt I was getting gipped. Guys feel proud of your Maxima!

It currently has over 110,000 Miles (175,000KM)! Anywayz: to make a long story longer...I decided to install a block heater in this year to ease the burden on the starter at -40 degree weather. After I had it installed, I feel I dont get enuf heat in the car. OK probably air in the cooling system when they flushed out the rad. But when I drive I feel frozen air coming from a notch below the steering column (not the tiny vent but the notch above it). Is there a problem with the ventilation ducting?? Has anyone experienced such a thing?

On Gas mileage, My Max has been consumeing like a Mack truck since a couple of weeks esp. for city driving. It really surprises me! Any connection with above problem? Engine sludge perhaps combined with freezing weather we've been having?

If you have Automatic climate control. don't use the "Auto" setting, as it uses the a.c. compressor. Instead, set it to "Econ", this bypasses the a.c. system. I've also heard that winter gas is bad for mileage. I know what you mean, I'm from Toronto.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:03 PM
rcy

Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

I dunno why, but gas mileage on all cars is supposedly worse in the winter. The 'econ' (with auto climate control) switch will bypass the A/C most of the time, but when it's as cold out as you say it is, the A/C won't come on anyway. There's some sort of sensor that won't cycle the A/C in sub-freezing temperatures.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

Originally posted by chris92

If you have Automatic climate control. don't use the "Auto" setting, as it uses the a.c. compressor. Instead, set it to "Econ", this bypasses the a.c. system. I've also heard that winter gas is bad for mileage. I know what you mean, I'm from Toronto.
I also heard about the gas & additives they put in the winter gas for freezing. But I'm talking like 50 km for half a tank of gas man!I also drive a 96 SE manual, and it'll get me over 200 km for half a tank of city driving in sub zero temps. Besides my 94 was similar in the past. Somehow something's up with the car! I find it very strange cause it runs very smooth as usual, acceleration is normal, no smell from gas leaks (mind you it freak'n cold so it's probably not easily apparent). It's going for an inspection Monday, I'll let you know if they find something. I'll always remember the ads in the 70's: "Datsun saves". Nissan's heritage is fuel economy.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

I also heard about the gas & additives they put in the winter gas for freezing. But I'm talking like 50 km for half a tank of gas man!I also drive a 96 SE manual, and it'll get me over 200 km for half a tank of city driving in sub zero temps. Besides my 94 was similar in the past. Somehow something's up with the car! I find it very strange cause it runs very smooth as usual, acceleration is normal, no smell from gas leaks (mind you it freak'n cold so it's probably not easily apparent). It's going for an inspection Monday, I'll let you know if they find something. I'll always remember the ads in the 70's: "Datsun saves". Nissan's heritage is fuel economy.
u might have a cracked/leaking fuel line cuz of the winter which is giving u bad mileage
Old 03-15-2003, 04:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

I'am in the same situation and desperate. I get 120 km for half a tank I just bought my Maxima 91, it works fine, but...My wife has a 88 and the gas mileage is excellent.
What's happening man? PLease let me know the results of your inspection. I wanted do the same...
Old 03-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

Originally posted by Aurelian

I'am in the same situation and desperate. I get 120 km for half a tank I just bought my Maxima 91, it works fine, but...My wife has a 88 and the gas mileage is excellent.
What's happening man? PLease let me know the results of your inspection. I wanted do the same...
They checked it and found nothing out of the ordinary except compliments from the mechanic and, again, he asked me when am I going to sell it! The car is now consuming normally. The guzzling lasted the span of maybe 3 fill ups. I suspect it`s the "snake-people" who run the gasoline companies. Like someone told me in this thread, they probably add stuff to teh gas. Apparently my service guy said he`s heard many people complaining about this with various car makes. Probably most people dont pay too much attention. I always reset my trip odometer & see how the car behaves. Also, if you live in Canada, you must use the highest grade. Apparently our gas is mediocre compared to the States. I have a few questions:
1) Are you using over 90 octane?
2) Does your 91 have the overhead cam engine or the standard engine? If you have the sport engine & dont take off smoothly you will guzzle.
3) Does it idle roughly? If so, may need a simple tune-up.
4) Antipollution ok?
5) Is the engine "clean"? May have sludge in it if it has high mileage.
6) Is your tranny an automatic? If so at that age I`d check it out (oil, shifting, filter etc) Maxima`s are notorious for petering out after about 250,000km or before.

Also, try different gases, switch brand. Sunoco is supposed to be good, but try the highest octane.

Other than that I do find it strange if it is a consistent problem. Good luck and let me know what happens!
Old 03-15-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

Originally posted by Aurelian

I had that when my front pipe was damaged
Old 03-16-2003, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gas Mileage & Heating

Originally posted by Pogo [/i]
Thank you. here are my answers:
1) Are you using over 90 octane?
No. I'm using the first quality. With the latest prices and the mileage...
2) Does your 91 have the overhead cam engine or the standard engine? If you have the sport engine & dont take off smoothly you will guzzle.
No, I have the VG of 160HP.
3) Does it idle roughly? If so, may need a simple tune-up.
No,it turns just fine.
4) Antipollution ok?
Seems to be, but i didn't check by a pro.
5) Is the engine "clean"? May have sludge in it if it has high mileage.
I just add(yesterday) a Dura Lube cleaner and I made some highway putting off the overdrive (3500 RPM for half an hour to speeds to not "attract" the cops)
6) Is your tranny an automatic? If so at that age I`d check it out (oil, shifting, filter etc) Maxima`s are notorious for petering out after about 250,000km or before.
Yes. I didn't check.

Also, try different gases, switch brand.
Thanks. I'll go today to see my garagist and look under the car to see if i have nothing cracked (as gas line)
Good luck and let me know what happens!
Deal.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:20 PM

Yeah, you guys sound like you have a lot of miles on your max's, I'd suggest having the Oxygen sensor replaced. It should be done every 60-70k miles. You should get at least 15% inc. in mpg