3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

springs and struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

springs and struts

I have a 90 GXE with 178,000 miles, suffice to say I am in need of some new suspension. I don't want to lower and I just use the car to and from work, I would like to return to the stock ride I had in the beginning. I have searched and almost all talks about lowering and performance type upgrades, I can appreciate that but that is not what I want. Anyone know how and where to get a close to stock ride for the cheapest price? By the way I had the hesitation problem about a year ago, 2 dealers and 4 mechanics couldn't firure it out, this forum led me to the green relay for the ECU under the hood and that fixed it. $15.00 part. Thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 08:27 PM

Well with the amount of miles you have I suggest buying new shocks I think you want to replace your springs also but I doubt springs go bad but it could happen, so if you have to buy stock springs, you could try a member here. Buying new springs from the dealer is not worth it, so I think the closest thing to the stock springs and worth it are the Eibach springs which lower 3rd gen maxima's an inch all around and still give a good ride quality. To buy shocks you can buy the following:

KYB GR-2's for about $180.00 shipped from www.foreignautoparts.cc
Tokico Blues for about $300.00 shipped from shox.com or stillen
KONI for about $500.00 from shox.com

Good luck in fixing up your suspension.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by D-sta
Well with the amount of miles you have I suggest buying new shocks I think you want to replace your springs also but I doubt springs go bad but it could happen, so if you have to buy stock springs, you could try a member here. Buying new springs from the dealer is not worth it, so I think the closest thing to the stock springs and worth it are the Eibach springs which lower 3rd gen maxima's an inch all around and still give a good ride quality. To buy shocks you can buy the following:

KYB GR-2's for about $180.00 shipped from www.foreignautoparts.cc
Tokico Blues for about $300.00 shipped from shox.com or stillen
KONI for about $500.00 from shox.com

Good luck in fixing up your suspension.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, stock springs can go bad. Mine have. Now my car has a slight lean to the front left, I notice it cause I like to stare at my car. Damned hard cornering. Can't wait to replace every bit of that. If all you want is a ride close to stock just get Tokicos or KYBs, don't bother with KONIs.

Oh and like D-sta said.

Good luck...

Old 02-23-2003, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by Dark Lord Bunny
"Racing in a Honda is like the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still a retard."
Retreads...Well now maybe the Bandags that we get at the terminal will have a little meat to them.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info. Does the Good Luck mean I am getting into some tough work? From what I can tell it does not look easy, but that never stopped me from giving it a try. I know I need the spring compressor and will nedd a lot of break free for the nuts any other suggestions?
Old 02-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No, good luck just means hope you get the suspension you want/need and enjoy it.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have any mechanical/automotive skills and don't really have all that much money to spend, for God's sake do this yourself. Before I had this the only work I had done on my car is changed the oil, but with the help of some impact tools and luckily a lift, I was able to finish this is two days. The car rides great and hasn't fallen apart yet :-). The fronts are easy to change, but the backs get slightly interesting. I installed the Tokico blues and the Eibachs and the ride is SO much better than the bouncy crap I had from the stock suspenion at 120,000 miles.

-payne-
Old 02-24-2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by -MaxPayne-
If you have any mechanical/automotive skills and don't really have all that much money to spend, for God's sake do this yourself. Before I had this the only work I had done on my car is changed the oil, but with the help of some impact tools and luckily a lift, I was able to finish this is two days. The car rides great and hasn't fallen apart yet :-). The fronts are easy to change, but the backs get slightly interesting. I installed the Tokico blues and the Eibachs and the ride is SO much better than the bouncy crap I had from the stock suspenion at 120,000 miles.

-payne-
lol i wish it took me that short a time. I hadnt done jack to my car before I attempted this (heck i havent even changed my oil myself!!) took me two weeks on and off during finals cos i had to have the car ready to head back to houston. Finished 2days before i was to leave. Wound up installing driver side rear spring seat / bearing the wrong way, didnt have pistons on driver side rear brakes....found out a week after I got to houston. Funny enough...ride was smooth all the way. You should attempt it: it's fun. At least worst comes to the worst pay someone what to put it together if you mess it all up lol. An impact will come in handy.