3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Catback options

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003 | 08:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Catback options

What other options are there for catback exhausts besides the big three that everyone has? If I were to take my car down to a custom exhaust shop and say "make me a catback" would it be up to the same spec as, say, a greddy, or does it just depend on the individual components? I'm looking at this, but the greddy's are soooo pricy....
Old 02-21-2003 | 08:54 PM

Re: Catback options

Originally posted by Spipedong90
What other options are there for catback exhausts besides the big three that everyone has? If I were to take my car down to a custom exhaust shop and say "make me a catback" would it be up to the same spec as, say, a greddy, or does it just depend on the individual components? I'm looking at this, but the greddy's are soooo pricy....
awsm66 just sent me an exhaust clip the other day, and to tell you the truth it sounds pretty close or exactly to the Greddy. At first he didn't like it since he had like a raspy noise but then he put a resonator and it removed the raspy noise and he's very pleased with the way it sounds. From what I heard from his video clip it sounds very similar to a greddy, I forgot what his custom exhaust components consisted of, maybe you should PM him or e-mail him.
Old 02-21-2003 | 09:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

this is a timeless argument with no definite answer IMO....a custom system can be built just "as good" as a Greddy, it all depends on the skill of whoever is putting your exhaust together. me personally, I'd go custom everytime, the key is to just match the custom system with a quality resonator, other than that theres no difference between custom and the "big 3" as you called them.
Old 02-21-2003 | 09:22 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Spipedong90
Yup like D-sta said I went with a custom made 2.5" cat back...well actually y back since I used the resonator in place of the cat. In MS its ok to not have a cat on some older cars. I will probably put a high flow cat in there later but thats not a priority for me right now...sorry for all of your environmentalists.

I have a 22" resonator from RRE parts and a Dynomax super turbo muffler...mine is pressure bent but that was because all the work was free since the exhaust guy owed me a favor. If done right the pressure bent isnt that bad and this guy is the best in town

I really love the sound and it is quiet in the cabin with no drone at all. There is also no raspy sound.

Here is a clip of what it sounds like.

It sounds better in person though.

Warp speed sells mandrel bent b pipes and have a veriety of different length resonators (and you would keep the cat)
Old 02-21-2003 | 10:06 PM

I'm thinking after I get cleaned out on my exhaust studs this tuesday, I'll drop the rest of my tax return on some moddage. I'm liking the sound of the custom job quite a bit.

So I'll definitely go with a resonator, and most likely magnaflow muffler because I know someone with a magnaflow on their 240sx and it sounds pretty nice. Also because I really dig the dual tips, I'll go with these tips on the magnaflow: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/p...exhausttip.jpg

woot! now I'm getting giddy....not only will the chirp of death be gone from my exhaust manifold, I'll have a cool exhaust to match it.

What I'm trying to do is keep about the same tone as I have on my homepage, but make it about twice as loud so it's audible as I'm driving by, but not irritating.
Old 02-21-2003 | 10:22 PM

I've got a pieced together system..."custom" I suppose.

Warpspeed B (w/ resonator), and soon to be Y pipe, free flow cat sometime in the near future, with an Arospeed dual DTM tipped muffler.

The exhaust note is verry nice, no "bees in a can" sound...and then combined with the CAI, wow! its almost like a V8's stuffed under there.

I was able to get the B-pipe, muffler, and CAI all shipped for less than the cost of a GReddy...which is always good.
Old 02-22-2003 | 06:16 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

sounds pretty good michael, pretty close to the greddy
Old 02-22-2003 | 08:55 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by N34JZ
sounds pretty good michael, pretty close to the greddy
Thanks I like it a lot and am finally satisfied with my exhaust sound.

I wanted a Greddy because of how it sounded but I have spent too much money on other stuff that I just couldnt afford it right now. My friend (old street racer buddy) has a exhaust shop and I did some computer work for him so he did the exhaust minus the resonator for free. I bought the resonator and welded it on myself the other day.

Spipedong90-watch the magnaflow because they are a straight through muffler. I havent heard one but I dont like how loud straight through mufflers are...thats just my opinion though...I know a lot of people like the magnaglow on here.

it probably will not be as loud anyway with a resonator.
Old 02-22-2003 | 09:09 AM

where exactly are the resonator(s) placed?
Old 02-22-2003 | 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Maximan190

where exactly are the resonator(s) placed?
you put the resonator on the B-pipe like right after the catalytic converter. Here is a pic of the Greddy in Jason's picture, look at the B-pipe where it gets thicker, that is where the resonator is placed on the Greddy.

Old 02-22-2003 | 10:49 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by D-sta

you put the resonator on the B-pipe like right after the catalytic converter. Here is a pic of the Greddy in Jason's picture, look at the B-pipe where it gets thicker, that is where the resonator is placed on the Greddy.

just a note on my gxe I had 2.25" piping from the cat back with no resonator and a dual tipped DTM muffler, it was loud inside the car and IMO with out the resonator it made it sound like crap , I put the resonator back on and it sounded much better.
Old 02-22-2003 | 01:56 PM

Has anybody here tried a Flowmaster??? Im thinkin' of doin that or 2k2 mufflers.

Old 02-22-2003 | 02:27 PM

I'm thinking of having a custom exhaust made? I've just got to get a appraisal first?
Old 02-22-2003 | 03:01 PM

i'm running a mangnaflow right now, i picked the street model, not racing, i have no "bees in the can" at all. can hardly hear it when the car is idle. thrums a bit durin acceleration, i'm pleased with it
Old 02-22-2003 | 04:01 PM

Custom is the cheapest way to go by a long shot.I had mine done last summer and it wasnt that expensive.I bought a fully polished,oval with dual tips for like $60 total. And the local shop bent me a 2.5 inch cat back and welded the muffler in for like $115-125 or something.Its a little loud inside but I plan on adding a resonator in place of the cat when I install a new Y-pipe this summer.The sound is so low pitched that it sounds like a totally different car.
Old 02-22-2003 | 04:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Catback options

Originally posted by hoodank178
I plan on adding a resonator in place of the cat
why not just install it after the cat?? or do you live in a state where emissions isn't taken?