3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How come everyone says that Bose is crappy???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 AM

How come everyone says that Bose is crappy???

The stock Bose in my 92 SE sounds great! It has great highs and lows, plenty of bass and excellant acoustics. I just added subs to my max and with the increase in bass and the great treble, my stereo sounds great! And the best is that the stock stereo can't be heard outside that much, just how a really good stereo is supposed to be!
Anyway, this is just my 2cents. Anyone else feel the same way as I do??

Brian
Old 02-24-2003, 10:24 AM

Maybe you are referring to the people who's BOSE amps have died. Mine suit me alright for now, but I plan on upgrading the whole system in the future. If you think stock BOSE sounds great, imagine what a good aftermarket setup could be like.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:54 AM
STFU n00b!

It's because the Bose DOES sound like crap compared to a good aftermarket system of the same cost. Imaging and dynamics are nonexistant in the bose package, let alone the Oe factory crap. they're squawk boxes compared to a correctly designed and installed system.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:56 AM

Re: How come everyone says that Bose is crappy???

One of my freind's (that is car heavy into the audio thing) says because the Bose speaker cones are made of paper it cannot take alot of power. I have since upgraded however I thought they sounded very good. I even added and higher power radio and alot of people loved the way it sounded. I ended up blowing them but hey that could hapen to any speaker. I say if you like the way they sound then they are good enough. Just my 2cents
Old 02-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Matt93SE
It's because the Bose DOES sound like crap compared to a good aftermarket system of the same cost.
This is so true! But heck they came with the car and sound good for now. Heck I dont how how Matt turns his stereo on with all the stuff hes got in it
Old 02-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: How come everyone says that Bose is crappy???

Originally posted by Strrrive
One of my freind's (that is car heavy into the audio thing) says because the Bose speaker cones are made of paper it cannot take alot of power. I have since upgraded however I thought they sounded very good. I even added and higher power radio and alot of people loved the way it sounded. I ended up blowing them but hey that could hapen to any speaker. I say if you like the way they sound then they are good enough. Just my 2cents
I have some old (7 or 8 years old) quarts and they have the paper cone. To me the paper cone quarts sound better than the others and I have put some pretty good power to them without any problems.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:38 PM
STFU n00b!

the paper cone doesn't matter. it's the size of the magnet structure and the voice coil design that make the largest difference in power handling. (that is, until you get to the point where the speaker is pushing so much air that the cone physically can't handle the stress..) but on that size of a speaker, that's a few hundred watts before that will occur.

the biggest factor in power handling is the voice coil. speakers with tiny, short, single layer voice coils aren't good for crap. at minimum a speaker should have two layers of windings on the coil. my Infinity 6" speakers had 2. my Focal sub has 4. some have 8.

cooling is also a huge factor (notice newer speakers have a hole in the back of the magnet so the air can be forced around the voice coil to cool it?)
Old 02-24-2003, 01:21 PM

bose in home audio =
bose in car audio =

the bose home theater system in my house - 5 channel speakers and 3 subs is incredible. The bose i used to have in my max was crap and after hearing my upgraded stereo all day, even the bose in my moms 03 se sounds dull.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:59 PM

a properly functioning Bose stock system sounds better than 90% of factory systems out there,if your heavy into stereo,the bose obviously isnt good enough,but if your into performance,you can take the $1000 that you would have spent to make an OK aftermarket system and put it into real mods
Old 02-24-2003, 03:17 PM

People say they suck because they are fairly fragile and it is impossible to just change one thing in the system. If one part goes out (for me, the deck went out twice, then the speakers), you have to change out the whole thing.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no highs no lows it must be BOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you dont have to spend near 1g if you install it yourself you could get away with a $200 hu and $150 for 4 sprs i do it all day long at work

i just swaped spkrs in a caddy yesterday and it has the exact same bose as my 92 had 4in and 6x9 and it sounded so much better and more detailed after and i put in kenwoods which im not particularly fond of it would have sounded even better with polk or infinity
Old 02-24-2003, 10:11 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by Maximan190
bose in home audio =
bose in car audio =

the bose home theater system in my house - 5 channel speakers and 3 subs is incredible. The bose i used to have in my max was crap and after hearing my upgraded stereo all day, even the bose in my moms 03 se sounds dull.
Bose home audio still sucks ***** compared to a similar priced system of good speakers. having to run 3 subs (also note they're tiny 6.5" drivers in the subs- in a bandpass box... RUINS low frequency sound quality and can't play worth a damn below 40hz) but the 3 subs kills the low end because the three different channels muddies up the bass. you're not supposed to be able to localize low frequencies, but it also ruins the sound if you have multiple sources. too many reflections and loading on the walls of the room to sound right.

Come listen to the home speakers I built (all speakers built by hand) for under $1500 and you'll be amazed at what it'll do compared to the Bose.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:49 PM

Blaupunkt

has anyone tried a complete Blaupunkt system(headunit+speakers) in their car?
I am thinking of upgrading to blaupunkt speakers and the San Fransisco head unit in the next few months. I dont lissen to my music REALLY loud, thats probably why i still like Bose in my car.
Anyone has suggestion/opinions on Blaupunkt?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:56 AM
STFU n00b!

Blau makes pretty decent stuff. Good price/quality/performance. You'll be pleased with it.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Mine works

I had all my amps rebuilt in my BOSE system (cost about $300), but over half of that was labor charge to remove them from the car, which I could have saved. The 3rd Gen BOSE (and maybe the 4th too, I don't know) have a capacitor issue in the amps. When it goes bad, so does your sound quality. The place that rebuilt mine uses a newer version of this capacitor, that they claim will out live the car. I had them done almost six years ago, and they outlived the car (since I wrecked it last year), and they are in my new car now on a fourth gen headunit (which sounds much better than the 3rd gen one), and they are still working great.

Of course I'm a person that's content with hearing the music INSIDE my car, and could care less about how hard I boom outside of it.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

Bose home audio still sucks ***** compared to a similar priced system of good speakers. having to run 3 subs (also note they're tiny 6.5" drivers in the subs- in a bandpass box... RUINS low frequency sound quality and can't play worth a damn below 40hz) but the 3 subs kills the low end because the three different channels muddies up the bass. you're not supposed to be able to localize low frequencies, but it also ruins the sound if you have multiple sources. too many reflections and loading on the walls of the room to sound right.

Come listen to the home speakers I built (all speakers built by hand) for under $1500 and you'll be amazed at what it'll do compared to the Bose.
Wow Matt you said it, I dont even have to voice my opinion now .
Old 02-25-2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by subs1000w
no highs no lows it must be BOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you dont have to spend near 1g if you install it yourself you could get away with a $200 hu and $150 for 4 sprs i do it all day long at work

lets be honest,good 6x9"s cost at least 150
good HU at least 150
good door speakers 80
decent amp 200
8" sub 150
box 20-30?
wiring 75
Old 02-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

true but you dont need good $150 6x9s to make better sound then the bose you could pick up a pair of $100 polk 3way 6x9s and $60 polk 4x6s and run it off the $150 hu and it would kill bose and you dont need a sub to beat the bose although it does fill it out better
Old 02-26-2003, 05:36 AM

i had the bose in my 97' SE and all i have to say is what a piece of crap. i wound up keeping just the bose headunit and replacing everything else. i just couldn't find that perfect range.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The stock Bose system is very good because it has low distortion and excellent sound. Plus I've seen maxima's with Clarion aftermarket stereos,so i think to myself, aren't they the same thing.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by vato_cholo
The stock Bose system is very good because it has low distortion and excellent sound.
Yeah I agree.... when you think about it, things could be worse - my friend just got a new 2003 Toyota Matrix, and to be quite honest, his audio sucks *** - besides the problems with the amps + HU, the Bose system produces some descent quality sound - at least we have amps, unlike alot of other new cars. i.e. Honda Civic :P
Old 10-16-2003, 10:11 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

the bose system isnt all that bad but i heard a big difference even after i just changed the speakers. i have pioneers running off the bose amps and the sound quality was much better and i could turn it up higher without distortion.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:02 AM

The Bose system in my 91' sounded good till I had a problem with distortion and on speaker not working. Once I pulled the system to check to see what was wrong, I realized why it kinda sucks. The Head Unit WAS made by Clarion but instead of having amplified outputs or line level outputs like most stereos, it has a proprietary output (Non-Standard, Non-Compatible with standard Amps or speakers). Also, each Bose speaker in the car have their own individual amp, not to mention the speaker impedance is NON-Standard (1 Ohm). So as one member said, if you want to replace one thing with standard / aftermarket, you have to replace everything! I would much rather have something standard and easy to upgrade, interchange, replace then something that is Proprietary and expensive to replace.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:10 AM

You guys do know this is an old thread, right??? I guess I'll put my .02 in anyway. Bose sucks, period. Home audio and Car audio. To be completely honest the stock stereo system in my 03 Trailblazer sounds 10x better than my Max, in low end and highs. As far as Home audio, I don't even want to get started. I use to sell Bose Home Audio and believe me you can have a 100x better sounding system than bose for the same dollar. And like Matt said above, Home theater with 6.5" drivers. Give me a break.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Way out West

Bose is just something to listen to until you get enough money for some decent gear. It is better than most stock audio components at the time (early 90s) but it's nothing compared to what you can get on the aftermarket.

If anyone is interested, I am selling a Bose interface adapter and Alpine HU. That way you can keep your Bose speakers/amps. Check in the 3rd gen for sale or audio f/s