3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with O2 sensor and PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 01:28 PM
TLM

Help with O2 sensor and PCV Valve

I bought the Haynes Manual and it didn't help me too much. I'm new to car repairs, so that is probably why... I have a 92 Maxima SE and I'm not sure where the PCV valve is located. Can anyone help me by giving me moron step by step directions to the damn thing?

Also, I tried to unhook the O2 sensor to see if it made any difference in my car... but it was on so tight I couldn't get it off. I was afraid I would break one of the pipes before I could get the sensor off. I used some grease to try to loosen it, but it didn't help.
Any tips or help (besides take it to a mechanic) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:31 PM

I suggest searching, I wrote a step by step process in a thread before of how to remove the PCV valve. If you can't find it just e-mail me and I'll explain the process once again. The location of the PCV valve is where the intake manifold says Nissan look stragiht down between the firewall and engine and you will see a hose going into the PCV valve.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:33 PM

found it

PCV: I have a 1992 DOHC engine and it's said to change the PCV valve on my engine is very hard, took me 10 minutes. There is a hose that goes into the pcv valve that has a 90 degree angle to it so it makes it hard to move clamp so what I did was hold the clamp open and pull the hose and I came off easily. Get a 3/4 long socket and a pretty long extension and put it on top the pcv and loosen until it comes out. Now putting in the new pcv in a DOHC engine is a little tricky you need to use a spark plug tool the one that is bigger than the one we use actually for our spark plugs, I forgot the size. Put it in there so it won't drop out and put it in start tightening it just little once it went in a little, take out the spark plug tool and use the regular 3/4 socket and tighten until it gets snug and that's it. To put back the hose hold the clamp open and put the hose in and release the clamp and that's it.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:53 PM
TLM

Originally posted by D-sta

There is a hose that goes into the pcv valve that has a 90 degree angle to it so it makes it hard to move clamp so what I did was hold the clamp open and pull the hose and I came off easily.
Is there a metal pipe in the hose?
Old 03-05-2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by TLM

Is there a metal pipe in the hose?
No there isn't a pipe. There is a hose going into the PCV valve that has a metal clamp, thats it.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:02 PM
TLM

Originally posted by D-sta
No there isn't a pipe. There is a hose going into the PCV valve that has a metal clamp, thats it.
It felt like there was metal pipe inside the hose to me
Is the hose right next to the oil cap?
Thanks
Old 03-06-2003, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TLM

It felt like there was metal pipe inside the hose to me
Is the hose right next to the oil cap?
Thanks
no, that is not it

You cannot see the PCV just looking down on the engine. Look behind your intake manifold (the big metal piece that says NISSAN at the top). Look between it and the firewall on the passenger side. You'll see a rectangular metal plate on the backside of it that is held on by 6 or 8 bolts. Look down another 2 inches or so and you should see the PCV valve. It has a hose going into it that makes a sharp 90 degree turn right on top of it. If you have a 5spd, it is just below a vacuum hose for the power valve (thin rubber hose that leads a to a thin metal hose that makes a 90 degree turn also)

I had trouble getting the new one thread in correctly so I zip tied the rubber hose out of the way while I put the new PCV valve in and that helped.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:22 PM

I was taking some pics of some other stuff in the engine bay so I got a couple shots of the PCV valve for you
this is between the intake manifold and the firewall (looking towards the front of the car)

it's circled in the first pic and a closer shot in the second one
http://craigbrace.homestead.com/files/maxima/pcv1.jpg
http://craigbrace.homestead.com/files/maxima/pcv2.jpg

for the O2 sensor, try some liquid wrench or WD40 on the fitting
Old 03-06-2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
I was taking some pics of some other stuff in the engine bay so I got a couple shots of the PCV valve for you
this is between the intake manifold and the firewall (looking towards the front of the car)

it's circled in the first pic and a closer shot in the second one
http://craigbrace.homestead.com/files/maxima/pcv1.jpg
http://craigbrace.homestead.com/files/maxima/pcv2.jpg

for the O2 sensor, try some liquid wrench or WD40 on the fitting
nice pics Craig, what's better than those pics, nothing can beat that to show you where the location of the PCV is!
Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 PM
TLM

I was honestly thinking to myself today... "This Haynes manual sucks ***... this doesn't even look like my engine. Craig's site and tips are so much easier to follow."

Thanks Craig. I'll look for it (again) tomorrow. I looked for the metal piece but I didn't see it (or at least not as clearly as in your pics.)

Is your car VE or VG? Does it matter, or would they be in the same place anyways? Mine is a 92 VE.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by TLM
I was honestly thinking to myself today... "This Haynes manual sucks ***... this doesn't even look like my engine. Craig's site and tips are so much easier to follow."

Thanks Craig. I'll look for it (again) tomorrow. I looked for the metal piece but I didn't see it (or at least not as clearly as in your pics.)

Is your car VE or VG? Does it matter, or would they be in the same place anyways? Mine is a 92 VE.
mine is a VE so it should be exactly the same, VGs have the valve higher up on the back of the manifold so it's a little easier to get to I think

like I said, you wont be able to see it looking down on the engine from the front, you have to get way back there and really look down onto the backside of the engine (a flashlight would probably help too)
Old 03-07-2003, 03:17 PM
TLM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

mine is a VE so it should be exactly the same, VGs have the valve higher up on the back of the manifold so it's a little easier to get to I think

like I said, you wont be able to see it looking down on the engine from the front, you have to get way back there and really look down onto the backside of the engine (a flashlight would probably help too)
Okay... I found it... how the hell am I supposed to get to it??? Seriously, any tips?
Old 03-11-2003, 01:00 PM
TLM

Originally posted by TLM

Okay... I found it... how the hell am I supposed to get to it??? Seriously, any tips?
TTT for tips getting the PCV valve off.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by TLM

TTT for tips getting the PCV valve off.
if you look up D-sta already posted the directions for you.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:20 PM
TLM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

if you look up D-sta already posted the directions for you.
I can barely fit my hand down there... plus that hose is on so damn tight... I can open the clamp, but the hose itself is on there so tight.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:35 PM

I was able to push the heater hose out of the way to get my hand down there better. I also used the suggestion about a deep socket to get the PCV Valve out and back in. Worked great! Don't drop the new PCV Valve behind the engine. I did this and spent a hour trying to find the **** thing. Might have been easier to go buy a new one, but i would have had to put the old one back in... That may have taken longer!!!

Also note: Take your old PCV Valve with you to the parts store. I went to two different places, and the one they gave me did not look like the one that I pulled of my car. I eyeballed one, and it worked.

Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by jwagen02
I was able to push the heater hose out of the way to get my hand down there better. I also used the suggestion about a deep socket to get the PCV Valve out and back in. Worked great! Don't drop the new PCV Valve behind the engine. I did this and spent a hour trying to find the **** thing. Might have been easier to go buy a new one, but i would have had to put the old one back in... That may have taken longer!!!

Also note: Take your old PCV Valve with you to the parts store. I went to two different places, and the one they gave me did not look like the one that I pulled of my car. I eyeballed one, and it worked.

Good Luck!
I'm glad it worked.

I have pretty big hands and I was able to do it TLM, keep on trying.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:21 PM

Breather

Ok guys one of my friends say that the breather takes place of the pcv valve. now is that right and if so which is better or theres no differance
Old 03-12-2003, 09:05 PM
JD

Good question....

When I did a tune up last year I bought a PCV valve. The Haynes manual had a good clear picture and I looked at pictures here. None looked like what I had on there. It was metal and to hard to get off. Is that the breather you're talking about?