3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car Bucking While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 08:47 PM

Car Bucking While Driving

I didn't know any other way to describe it. About 5-6 times over the last 3 weeks, I have noticed(generally shifting gears--93 se 5speed)a slight delay in the meshing of the clutch from when the pedal was released. Well, this is what it appeared to be. Today, I was driving on the highway at about 60 mph in 5th gear with nothing pushed in but the gas and all of a sudden, the car started rocking or bucking and did so for about 5 minutes straight. It would rock forward like you were heavily accelerating and then pushed in the clutch. Then, it would rock you back like you were heavily accelerating, then forward and then backward. All along, it was not like the car was stalling or cutting out. I thought at first it was tranny problems, but the more I thought about it, the more I think it would have been noticable shifting gears. I have it scheduled to go to my mechanic on Tuesday, but if I could save the expense of a mechanic, I want to. He is thinking in just the way I described it, that if it was the clutch slipping, I would notice it more in one gear or another and not while the clutch is let out and driving on the highway. He also thought if the tranny was going, I would hear more of a clang and would probably notice it more between gears. He thinks that it is either water in the tank, clogged fuel filter, or fuel pump going out. I added "Heet" to the tank to get rid of any water that might be there. I also changed the fuel filter. It seems to run smoother and I took it out for a drive and noticed one time it was funny, but couldn't tell if it was me or the car that caused it. Has anyone ever had this problem? What is it like when the fuel pump goes out? The fuel filter was changed last at 116k and now has 157k, which is 41k. Could this be the problem? Any help with diagnosis would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Car Bucking While Driving

You have gone 41K miles without changing the fuel filter? OMG!!! This sounds like a tune up problem. Seriously, I had the same problem. And it disappeared with I changed the fuel filter. Dude, stay on top of your maintenance. It will save you a lot of hassle in the future.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 PM

bucking car

So, you had the same problem? It does seem to run a lot better. Did yours feel like tranny problems or clutch problems when yours acted up? I have always been told to change the filter every 30k. Would you recommend 30k or more like 15k? I appreciate your response.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:07 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: bucking car

Originally posted by SCOTTFISH
So, you had the same problem? It does seem to run a lot better. Did yours feel like tranny problems or clutch problems when yours acted up? I have always been told to change the filter every 30k. Would you recommend 30k or more like 15k? I appreciate your response.
I have an auto with the same engine. I had that bucking problem when I first bought it. For absolutely no reason, it would buck. I'm not even touching the throttle. I did a tune up. Change Fuel Filter, air filter, plugs, tranny fluid, and the problem never came back after 2 years of driving it. Also, it's possible you got some bad fuel. I've had that happen before. Try to only use the highest octane possible. 91+ So, my advice is to do a simple tune up... regular maintenance... and then see if the problem still occurs. If it does, then looks into fuel related problems.. like injectors. TUNE UP FIRST! Hope this helps.