3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone ever thought of this........

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2000, 06:22 AM

My stock spoiler is cracking (literally) so I need a new spoiler soon. I'v been contemplating a touring spoiler for a long time but it's all for looks. No use having a touring spoiler when the car is a front wheel drive vehicle. Also I like the LED third brake light instead of the bulb ones we have. At the moment I'm looking into getting either a 2000 Altima or Maxima spoiler. What do you guys think and do you think it will fit?
Old 08-22-2000, 06:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Psst.... You sigs showing width="363" height="141" border="0" alt=""> for some reason.

Try striping out width="363" height="141" And check you img src line maker sure the < & > are on the same line.

Good luck with the spoiler

Old 08-22-2000, 06:49 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Wizeguy
Psst.... You sigs showing width="363" height="141" border="0" alt=""> for some reason.

Try striping out width="363" height="141" And check you img src line maker sure the < & > are on the same line.

Good luck with the spoiler

what a wizeguy!
Old 08-22-2000, 07:01 AM

How does this look....

BAM!!!
Old 08-22-2000, 07:47 AM
STFU n00b!

You need to lower that thing first! nm

heheh I thought it looked funny, then I checked your sig.. no eibachs!!! you bettah fix that, boy!
Old 08-22-2000, 08:54 AM

Re: You need to lower that thing first! nm

Nah, his car looks pretty sweet. Eibachs would look incredible though.

-=Kaleb=-

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
heheh I thought it looked funny, then I checked your sig.. no eibachs!!! you bettah fix that, boy!
Old 08-22-2000, 09:53 AM

Kaleb....

Did you ever get any pics of those NOPI Speeedometer gauges.

ALSO back to my question what do you guys think of the 2000 Altim and Maxima spoiler on a 3rd Gen. Anyone have any measurements of the stock one. I need to know how close they fit.

Old 08-22-2000, 10:28 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

great looking car, be careful not to mess with something that doesn't quite look right. The SE spoiler looks good on an SE IMHO. I'd just repair/replace with that.
Old 08-22-2000, 10:38 AM

Re: Kaleb....

SeaMAX,

Well I didn't use the NOPI guage faces because they're ugly as hell! So, instead, I put a set of 91 SE guages in that ****, and she's pretty as can be. Only took a very slight modification to the tachometer housing. Another thing is, the O/D light on the 92+ is built into the water temp/fuel guage, and the O/D light on the 89+ is on the right side indicator cluster. So what I'll need to do is wire the O/D light to illuminate an empty space on the left side that's orange and not being used, but I haven't done it yet. And I don't want to right now, so for now, there is no O/D off light :0)

-=Kaleb=-

Originally posted by SeaMAX
Did you ever get any pics of those NOPI Speeedometer gauges.

ALSO back to my question what do you guys think of the 2000 Altim and Maxima spoiler on a 3rd Gen. Anyone have any measurements of the stock one. I need to know how close they fit.

Old 08-22-2000, 04:58 PM

I had the same problem with my car. Ironically I also have a red 91SE with pretty much the same mods as yours. I ordered the OEM style replacement from wings west for $225 and it is supposed to arrive anytime soon. My friends tried to convince me to get the touring spoiler but I did not and I am regretting it now. I saw one on a white 3rd gen and it looked sweet, just don't get one that is too big. I don't know about the 2000 max's or the altima's, I think they are too curvy for a nice fit and look. By the way how is your Y pipe working, I have not ordered mine yet but I am concerned about how much louder it will make the car.

Old 08-22-2000, 08:16 PM

My y-pipe was custom made by a muffler shop when I installed my Apexi muffler. It's 2.5" piping from the heads to the flex pipe, to the cat and back to the muffler. I think the catmann one is 2.25". It shouldn't make a difference but I think 2.5" is a little louder. At first we tried the system without a resonator and it was damn loud and mean sounding loud. I wanted it a little more silent so I got a 19" resonator put in and it is sweet sounding now. No one complains about the sound when they hear it except my parents and girlfriend. So I just bought an Apexi Silencer for my muffler so now the system should really be quiet. Then when I want to race I can just take it off.

If you get the y-pipe install and if possible ask for a 21" resonator. That should keep it really quiet but still have a nice sound without the need for a silencer, unless you still have a stock muffler. Then there is probably no need.

Old 08-26-2000, 04:59 AM

Custom and Cattman Y-pipe

My y-pipe was custom made by a muffler shop when I installed my Apexi muffler. It's 2.5" piping from the heads to the flex pipe, to the cat and back to the muffler. I think the catmann one is 2.25". It shouldn't make a difference but I think 2.5" is a little louder. At first we tried the system without a resonator and it was damn loud and mean sounding loud. I wanted it a little more silent so I got a 19" resonator put in and it is sweet sounding now. No one complains about the sound when they hear it except my parents and girlfriend. So I just bought an Apexi Silencer for my muffler so now the system should really be quiet. Then when I want to race I can just take it off.

How much was the custom made Y-pipe? And why does everyone think that catmann y-pipes are the best?

One more thing about exhaust systems, is this right? From the engine, you got headers/exhaust manifolds to downpipes to precats to cat to muffler to tip. All should be same width or you only get the narrowest clearance. True?

Thanks for you help

Max Z

Old 08-26-2000, 06:55 AM

"How much was the custom made Y-pipe? And why does everyone think that catmann y-pipes are the best?"

My custom y pipe was $250 installed. It features 2 inch primaries(downpipes from the exhaust manifolds, and a 2.5 inch collector(where the 2 pipes join). Unfortunately Cattman is the only one that makes y pipes for 3rd gens. So the best exhaust, is also the worst exhaust..

"One more thing about exhaust systems, is this right? From the engine, you got headers/exhaust manifolds to downpipes to precats to cat to muffler to tip. All should be same width or you only get the narrowest clearance. True?"

I think Seamax has a mistake. I believe he has a y pipe from the exhaust manifolds and everything back. Also 3rd gens do not come with pre cats in the y pipe. Just one cat between the y pipe and the cat back.
Old 08-26-2000, 11:12 PM

What do you mean the by "the best exhaust is also the worst"? Also I think your right...I custom job is from the exhaust manifold back. The 19" resonator was $20, muffler was $180, Hi-flow cat. conv. was $120 and 2.5" exhaust piping (y-pipe) was $200. Not too bad hey.
Old 08-27-2000, 10:27 AM

Well..

If there is only 1 item thats made it is the best one out there since there is nothing else. But, its also the worst since there is also nothing else out there..