3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

$140 for new bumper?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:30 AM

$140 for new bumper?!?!

i need a new front bumper cover and when i look around at online sites they're charging about $140 for the thing shipped and its not even painted. i've tried local junkyards but none of them have any newer maximas. anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:55 AM
STFU n00b!

www.car-part.com

$140 is pretty cheap for a bumper cover. it's a huge piece of plastic, which isn't cheap to make.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:38 AM

compared to 200 for new its cheaper. i got mine for 80 shipped but dont remember from who
Old 03-25-2003, 11:46 AM

$125 was what my insurance company told me the could get for a remanufactured bumper cover. $140 is pretty darn close
Old 03-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What year are you talking? What cover - front or rear?
I ask because I just called this place (below) a couple weeks ago and asked what they charged for a front bumper cover (factory look, but aftermarket supplier). He said $72 Canadian. I was shocked! Also said front fenders list at $150 each. Give'em a try.

Painters Supply
90 Charterhouse Cr.,
London, ON.
519-457-7747

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:01 PM
STFU n00b!

don't buy an aftermarket bumper cover. they don't fit. I've bought three different brands over the years, and the only one that fit was a Nissan one.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:59 AM

I wish I could buy a bumper for that price!!! I called about just the rear bumper & they were goiin to charge me $350. But thats in NZ $, but still. You guys have got it easy when it comes to modding a max. I have to spend arms & legs to do the same as you guys.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:15 AM

Edz I know how you feel.

God damn nissan down here, charging us ****loads for a part!!! Damn them... Damn them to hell!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 03:20 AM

Hey Chavez, hows it going? Same ****, different day here. Whats going on with ure Max?
Old 03-26-2003, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
don't buy an aftermarket bumper cover. they don't fit. I've bought three different brands over the years, and the only one that fit was a Nissan one.
my front one fit fine, my back one sucked
Old 03-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dang Insurance companies. If for whatever reason you are getting a new bumper was not your fault and someone elses don't let the insurance company make you settle for anything less than factory parts. Even if you are paying for it consider long and hard before you settle for an after market bumper. Of course if the body shop say's they can get your car back to new with an aftermarket bumper then hold them to it.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:09 PM

do you guys know where i would be able to get it painted and how much that would be? or could i just spray paint it myself?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:20 PM

I'm putting in the new Magnaflow exhaust nextweek (fingers crossed). I've had a few bills to pay which is why I haven't been able to do some mods to the car.

How bout your car?? How you going man?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:32 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by shavedmax
my front one fit fine, my back one sucked
Look under the corner lamps.. is the bumper flush with the bottom, or do the lamps overhang about an inch?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:48 PM

Look under the corner lamps.. is the bumper flush with the bottom, or do the lamps overhang about an inch?
like i said it fit fine, if youre looking at my pics, my marker lamps are off because of the e 36 lights.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by chavez
I'm putting in the new Magnaflow exhaust nextweek (fingers crossed). I've had a few bills to pay which is why I haven't been able to do some mods to the car.

How bout your car?? How you going man?
It'g been going good. Just put in an Alpine amp, front components & rear 6 1/2, Sony 12 inch sub. Sounds pretty sweet, but want to get a DSP. U know how hard it is to find one here(a new one!) All the suppliers say they don't bring them in the country anymore. That sucks!!!! Write back soon man.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Matt I dont think I have seen a Maxima that has the corner lamps flush with the bumper around here. I always thought that was kinda funny. all 3 of mine (all factory bumpers) are off on at least one side and I have looked at a lot of others that are like that. I just figured it was designed that way.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

One day I was "cruising" down a highway trying to get my mom to the airport for her flight. Even though it was dark I knew I had just blown by a cop doing 80+ on a 55. Sure enough in the rear view mirror I see him wip a u turn. Next thing I know he's pulling me over. Then he gets out of his car and waves down a truck that was behind me a ways. The truck pulls in front of me and with the cop directing him with his flashlight the dude in the truck backs into my front bumber. With the Cop DIRECTING him!!! I was ****ed and a little worried that this might be two guys in cahoots that were gonna beat me silly or something. At anyrate the cop still writes us both speeding tickets even after he pretty much caused an accident! Funny thing was my mom told me to keep speeding after the ticket because she didn't want to be late for her flight. Heh, heh, ever heard your folks tell you to drive faster?

The point of this meaningless story is that to save money I did all of the work on my bumber my self. I used some bondo because it was going to be a temp job in the first place and the damage wasn't that bad. Sanding plastic is just about impossible and is on my top ten list of things to never do again. I got the bumper reasonably prepped and primed, then spray painted white.

Of course once the paint dried I was left with two different whites and a lousy bondo job. (My first time with the stuff ) So here is my advice. Unless you are really comfortable with a spray gun take it to a shop and let them deal with color matching and all that stuff. In my case I'm looking at a whole new bumper plus a whole new paint job in the future so the temp thing was OK for now. Problem is there are always other things that I want to buy other then a new paint job so Hell might freeze over before I have enough money to do it right.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:26 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by awsm66

Matt I dont think I have seen a Maxima that has the corner lamps flush with the bumper around here. I always thought that was kinda funny. all 3 of mine (all factory bumpers) are off on at least one side and I have looked at a lot of others that are like that. I just figured it was designed that way.
Mike, I had 3 aftermarket bumpers on my GXE. one was on there when I got the car, It was wrecked about 6 months later when I fell asleep and parked it in a ditch. (ouch!)
aftermarket bumper then. don't rememebr what brand. this is bumper #2.

a year or so after that, a dog ran out in front of me on a country road, and I whacked him good... cracked the bumper, so I bought a different brand of aftermarket since the last one didn't fit right. repainted it.. still didn't fit right.

a couple years go by, and I get the front end run over by a dumptruck. THEY'RE paying for it this time and I'm tired of **** not fitting, so I insist they buy an OE bumper. the thing fit absolutely perfect the second they bolted it up to the car.
then I totalled it two days after I got it out of the shop.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:02 PM

Mike, I had 3 aftermarket bumpers on my GXE. one was on there when I got the car, It was wrecked about 6 months later when I fell asleep and parked it in a ditch. (ouch!)
aftermarket bumper then. don't rememebr what brand. this is bumper #2.

a year or so after that, a dog ran out in front of me on a country road, and I whacked him good... cracked the bumper, so I bought a different brand of aftermarket since the last one didn't fit right. repainted it.. still didn't fit right.

a couple years go by, and I get the front end run over by a dumptruck. THEY'RE paying for it this time and I'm tired of **** not fitting, so I insist they buy an OE bumper. the thing fit absolutely perfect the second they bolted it up to the car.
then I totalled it two days after I got it out of the shop.
that sucks. FYI to anyone that is planning to get a a/m cover. CAPA is starting to certify covers to match oem fit and finish. i dunno if they are planning on dooing it for our cars since they are older, but worth a shot.