3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Statistics Needed, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 08:13 PM

Statistics Needed, Please Help

Hello, I need some help in researchin the capabilities of a 1992 stock GXE Maxima. I have been googling for hours and have come up dry. My dilema is that I have been accused of speeding at 56 miles an hour 1/10 of a mile from a stop sign. Honestly I don't even think my car has that much "go" to acheive such a speed in such a short distance and I know for a fact that I was not going that speed. I am looking for a graph, or actually any information that may help me.

http://www.maseratighibli.co.uk/graph.gif

Something similiar to that but..for a Maxima. I want to have hard evidence that it is not possible for me to accelerate to 56 mph in less than a tenth of a mile.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:15 PM

Re: Statistics Needed, Please Help

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give, I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

honestly i think 56 mph is achieveable in that amount of distance. you figure that is 528 ft and i know i've achieved 66 mph traps in the 1/8 mile which is only 132 ft more...
Old 03-25-2003, 08:30 PM

My only concern is with only 160 hp stock, and slick road conditions, coming from a dead stop it seemed it a little much. How does the acceleration go in our cars? Does the car accelerate faster in the beginng and then fade quickly? I think it is at about 9.5 secs to get to 60 mph so thats 3/4 of the time it takes on the quarter mile. Going on that, and assuming a constant rate of acceleration it would take two tenths of a mile to get to that speed (60mph) Perhaps my theory is flawed, honestly this officer, though I have utmost respect for their job was truly a *****. He enjoyed giving me that ticket...
Old 03-25-2003, 08:43 PM

If I can even prove that it would have taken another fraction of road more than what I was given the ticket then it would show the inaccuracies of the measurement. Do you think the dealer would have this information?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by arsalanaltaf
If I can even prove that it would have taken another fraction of road more than what I was given the ticket then it would show the inaccuracies of the measurement. Do you think the dealer would have this information?
Take it to the track and see if you can get the speed and time for a 1/4 of a mile and go from there. Also when you go to the court ask the officer when his speed measuring device had its last scheduled maintenance performed and if it was indeed performed, then ask for paperwork for the inspection. If he doesn't have the paperwork to show the scheduled maintenance for the radar gun (and lets hope he doesn't) then mention that his device (radar?) probably has calibration issues and that might get you out of the ticket.
If I have time I shall research this myself and try to figure out the acceleration etc.

Hope this helps
Sohaib
Old 03-26-2003, 12:46 PM

Another thought was that if I asked the officer how far away he saw me from. Since you cannot see the stop sign from where he was if he said over whatever it took then I could prove that the radar was off. Or I ask him how far away I was when he first saw me and how long ago before his radar went off, do the math on the speed and well try to prove him wrong. I am not sure, I may just ask for community service instead of a ticket on the grounds that I can not afford it and it is a punishment for my parents and not me. If I did get community service would the ticket be nulled? Would ... there still be insurance reprucusions?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:19 AM

what was the speed limit

for me when i had this, i went to court and everything, unfortunatly i didnt win, because i didnt have evidence that is wasnt breaking the speed limit,

basically cause i couldnt prove i was going 30 or less, i got the ticket, for 31 mph, the state minimum

Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you were speeding you were speeding face it, it happens to all of us; our cars do have get up and go so if you have a lead foot then you'll soon learn how to control it , also learn how to speed correctly! find out where the cops usually stake out the road
Old 03-27-2003, 01:22 PM

The limit was 35 mph. When you got the ticket for going 31, was it a reduced ticket? Was the intial ticket at a higher speed and then after court it was lower?

On a 2nd note I try not to speed, it puts my life, and pedestrians lives at risks. I very very rarely go beyond five miles over the limit, I understand limits are there for a reason and try to respect them. It isnt worth the risk of killing or seriosly injuring myself and/or an innocent pedestrian.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:45 PM

thats very true

call up the da, or sa or whatever you have in your area, ask him what kind of deal he will cut you

if he wont talk, then you might get a lawyer, expensive but better than paying insurance premium for 60 years or whatever

Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well just saying...anyways good luck with it , and just remember thats a v6 under the hood not one of them 4 bangers
Old 03-27-2003, 08:09 PM

ahh, fresh smoke up the ***, cant beat that with a stick

it was a 44 in 35

i looked i actually got it reduced to like 31, but no matter there isnt a penalty difference between 1mph over and 9

ohh well

Chris