3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

im back with a wierd problem about counting mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 11:55 PM

im back with a wierd problem about counting mileage

well i sold my VE 5-speed and bought a VG auto as the family car. my girlfriend cant drive stick so i needed at least one car she could drive.

well the car is very clean with about 101k miles and a new tranny. the thing is that i noticed that the mileage wasnt beeing counted all the time. the first two days after i bought it it worked fine. today i noticed that it hardly counted any miles. after i went over a bump in the road, it started counting again. turned off the car at my aunts for a while and drove the whole way home without it coutning a single mile or 1/10th of a mile. any ideas. the speedometer and tach work fine along with all the other gauges. could this have happened during the tranny repair? any body know where the counter is? is it connected with the tranny in any way? thanks.

i knew i would be back with a 3rd gen. i love them. this is my 3rd third gen maxima. the first 2 where both VE 5speeds. this car still gets up though, but it is a big difference from the previous maximas.

one more VG question. how do i know if i have that electronic suspension stuff? i must lower soon. if i do have it, is it a problem with lowering? thanks
Old 03-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

electronic suspension: you will have 2 switches where the coin holder normally is that say sport and comfort (not the power/comfort tranny switch) and if you look at the top of the strut in the engine bay, you'll see a wiring harness right on top of it

The odometer may just need to be cleaned out. I had a similar problem and just took out the gauges and then took out the odometer (a couple of screws on the backside of the gauge cluster). There was a tiny bit of debris in the gears so I cleaned that out and it's been fine ever since.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:07 AM

thanks craig, you've always been a huge help around here. so now i can order suspension since i dont have that electronic stuff.

plans for the VG:

drop (cant decide on what setup, i didnt really like the eibach/tokico i had in the VE)
upgraded bulbs and craigs corner re-wire
17" oem 2k-2k2 wheels
tints
a system since i still have all my equipment lying around.
92-94 SE tails

no speed stuff. this is my family car and plus there is no point since its an autotragic. i just want to make it look nice and not no ordinary maxima.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:13 AM

Hopefully the number of miles on the car is the actual number. If there's an odometer problem, you never know if the car has alot more miles than you think. Did you run a carfax?
Old 03-30-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh
Hopefully the number of miles on the car is the actual number. If there's an odometer problem, you never know if the car has alot more miles than you think. Did you run a carfax?
Car fax wont do anything for that. Carfax looks for odometer ROLLBACK fraud. There has been no roll back, it just hasn't been going foward. I know this because when I bought my Max, I did everything right and bought the carfax and stuff. I still have the same problem. Carfax showed nothing.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:48 PM

Yeah, what I meant was carfax shows the mileage at each emissions test which is each year. If the car traveled a small amount of miles from the previous year it could give you an indication of when the odometer problem started..so you can at least average the actual mileage of the car based on the last owners yearly driving habits.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:42 AM

i did have a carfax report done. but like 93maxVG said, i dont think that will tell me much about it. i did notice that the car had low change in miles for each test. but was for the first owner. the second owner put a lot more miles on between tests.

im not really too worried about the mileage though. im more worried about not being able to tell when my next maintence is due or how good my gas mileage is. the car is super clean and runs great. the starter did go out on me yesterday though. left me stranded at work.

man, nobody even welcomed me back. not like i was gone for that long anyways