3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

IS it possible for the ECU to retard the timing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 09:23 AM

IS it possible for the ECU to retard the timing?

A hypothetical question, if you changed your spark plugs, and something really nasty got in there, like a leaf or something, and there was some detonation. Could the ECU retard the timing?

If you have some unknown problem with your car(could be an injector, could be cat, could be compression, ect, ect), would an engine diagnostic help you solve what it is?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:31 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: IS it possible for the ECU to retard the timing?

Originally posted by doomtoo
A hypothetical question, if you changed your spark plugs, and something really nasty got in there
in all of your threads so far you keep implying this...did you actually drop or let something fall in there??

and yes I'm pretty sure if there is detonation the sensor pikcs it up and retards accordingly.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: IS it possible for the ECU to retard the timing?

Originally posted by DA-MAX

in all of your threads so far you keep implying this...did you actually drop or let something fall in there??

and yes I'm pretty sure if there is detonation the sensor pikcs it up and retards accordingly.

lol i think he did...probably in the rear
Old 03-31-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: IS it possible for the ECU to retard the timing?

Originally posted by DA-MAX

Well, I don't think I did, but there's a very good chance of it, becuase all around the spark plugs was alot of junk and little things. I know know you can use a bicycle pump to get rid of that...
I haven't been implying that in ALL my posts... just the more recent ones :S I think it's an electrical problem(although it might not be) and the only info I've gotten so far towards that lead, is that the timing may be off. It would be one possible explanation at why the car is runnning very rich...
Old 03-31-2003, 11:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a ton of junk all around my spark plug wells. One time I almost had a tiny washer from who knows where fall inside the cylindar. For some reason I decided to get a flash light and look before took the old spark plug out.

As for debris and stuff I think most of it that is not non metal like leaves and stuff will just burn up and turn to ash. My guess is ash won't have to hard of a time finding it's way through the exhaust system with little harm done. It won't be the best for the car but I don't think it will hurt it. This is all dependent on just how much debris actually got inside the cylindar of course.