3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clean throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:59 PM

Clean throttle body?

i read a post months ago about cleaning my throttle body, i was thinking maybe i should

reasons being

in idle it idles jsut a little rough, but at idle in neture or park, it tends to jump a little around kinda sporadic, and if i give it just a little gas it seems to stumble a little

anyway, i was hoping someone could point me to that well written how to there, and any opinions would be appreciated too

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-31-2003, 01:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Clean throttle body?

Thank Craig for this link. Go to the How To section and it has a write up for the VE TB clean and links to write ups for the VG.

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html

Personally, I think you should just do a full tune up. Then, if your problem persists, then you can start to try to find what's wrong. But, go ahead and clean the TB, it's easy and it won't hurt.. it will only help.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:36 PM

can i spray in to the intake mainfold before the trottle body and clean that or will it not do me any good and where (to buy) and how much are the new gaskets
Old 03-31-2003, 02:40 PM

well, define a full tune up

i have recently done many things such as, but not limited to
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs
still in testing my exaust/vaccume hoses
wheel bearings
cv boots clean
new battery
thermostat (tho i am thinking of doing it again with a nissan factory one)
oil change
oil filter change
checked drivebelts
and 30k ago i got a timing belt

thanks again
chris
Old 03-31-2003, 06:27 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by kingrye
can i spray in to the intake mainfold before the trottle body and clean that or will it not do me any good and where (to buy) and how much are the new gaskets
It won't hurt to remove the TB and clean the entire thing, plus scrub inside the intake manifold. If you are careful, most of the time, you can reuse the TB gasket. But, if you need one, I've found it's a dealer part. Most parts stores in my area didn't have it without buying a huge kit. I have removed my TB about atleast 6 times and I've not had to buy a new TB gasket yet. Usually, it will stick on the TB or the manifold, if the entire gasket does that, then you're fine... reuse it.

Chrispy, a full tune up is pretty much what you've done. On top of that, you can flush out the tranny fluid. Besides that, you've basically done a full tune up. Go ahead and clean your TB and I hope that fixes it.

BTW, why are you thinking you need a new thermostat if the one you have is new?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:28 PM

ok please becareful in using the tb cleaner. LOL.. i found out the hard way .. see i cleaned my tb before and the next time around i accidently shot the strawinto the intake manifold.. not good.. and it took me awhile to figure what size hex socket to use to take off the tb apart. oh and new intake pendulumn gasket isnt cheap.. its about 80 bucks in some places and dont go to autozone to get it.. its special order.. aaron is right you can reused the old intake gasket as long as you dont brake the seals.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:53 AM

my throttle body gasket is 230,000 miles old!
Old 04-01-2003, 03:07 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Well, I would just recommend spraying TB cleaner in the TB without taking it off. If you take it off, then you might just be digging yourself in a hole that will be expensive to get out. Just clean it and be happy.

If you are having idling issues, then a dirty TB might be the cause b/c the plate gets sticky and might not shut all the way. But, it will never hurt to clean the TB. There's no big reason to remove it to clean it.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:46 PM

when you take the first intake manifold off the throttle body stays connected to the main (big) intake manifold right? how much and whats the part number for the gasket that goest from the y looking intake mainfold to the throttle body?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:01 AM

hehe, thanks for the tips guys

i replaced my thermostat with a advanced auto one, but i still had the same problem, that and it is a lower temperature than stock, so i already have a stock one waiting for me, i just have to find that thing... whats it called... time yeah thats it

allright, ill let you know how throttle body cleaners goes

quick question
on the left side of the engine is where the gas pedel and cruise control wires are

if i lift the one on the right, they both go up
but i lift the one of the left, just the left goes up

my car seems to run differntly, like not good if i just do the left, is that how it is supposed to be, or should i tighten that bolt

thanks again

Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 11:08 AM

the one that makes both of them move is cruse control the other is regular throttle
Old 04-02-2003, 11:48 AM

i read in that tutorial, or noted via pictures rather, that i only have to remove the intake tubing

but by 91 se doesnt come with ve ease of use, can i still do the operation without removing my throttle body, or just give up that vane hope

Chris
Old 04-04-2003, 05:48 AM

well, results, i cleaned my throttle body, very easy, i will do it again soon, seeing as it is very easy, and i ran out of carb cleaner and time too

it did help
i still have some problems but it did help

it still idles rough
but it doesnt seem to be as jumpy as before
and if i give it gas, it doesnt stumble like it used too

so, definitly it helped

i still have to narrow down why it idles rough tho

thanks for the help guys

Chris
Old 04-04-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: Clean throttle body?

Originally posted by chrispy
i read a post months ago about cleaning my throttle body, i was thinking maybe i should

reasons being

in idle it idles jsut a little rough, but at idle in neture or park, it tends to jump a little around kinda sporadic, and if i give it just a little gas it seems to stumble a little

anyway, i was hoping someone could point me to that well written how to there, and any opinions would be appreciated too

Thanks
Chris
Didnt you say you had an exhuast leak in a previous post? My exhaust leak, the result of a broken stud, is causing mine to idle rough until the car warms up and it idles smoother. This may be the same thing thats happening to you. Just an idea.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:32 PM

noted, that is what i will be working on soon

Chris