3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 11:33 AM

Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

As some of may remember, my auto transmission is dying on me and I need a new a tranny so I checked on the org and have found out that converting to a manual could be the cheapest way and most affective mod that I can give my 89 Max SE. I took it to the transmission shop and talked to the guy there about the manual swap and he told me the best thing to do if I were to do the manual swap was to get a wrecked Maxima for cheap that has a good tranny in it and pick it up and take it to the tranny shop and then they can switch in the manual into mine and the auto in mine, out. Now the labor of this is not cheap, $1500 for it and the $500 for the junked Maxima. So i'm looking at about a $2K job when it's all done but my dad and I are gonna check out the junked Max in a few days to see when were gonna pick it up, so it should all be done in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the help that you guys gave me, it got me headed in the right direction .
Old 04-02-2003, 12:14 PM

keep us updated on the swap. try to post some before and after pics if you can. thanks.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:45 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Why arent you doing it yourself?
Old 04-02-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by James92SE
Why arent you doing it yourself?
Well the thought caught my mind but I don't really have time and then my dad whose paying for it doesn't have any time either and then the whole "I don't know enough to do that stuff yet and I wouldn't want to mess anything up" thing going on so yeah haha .
Old 04-02-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

Originally posted by aw89maxSE
and the $500 for the junked Maxima.
if you don't mind my asking,
1.) is the junkyard giving a warranty on the tranny?
2.) how many miles on the odo?
3.) what year max is it coming out of?

i went to a yard last week and found about 3 manual third gens and 2 second gens. was quoted at 550 for the tranny (91 max with 200K miles). don't know if he warranted it or not, but it did go into all gears (a little tough into reverse). he said he would take 600 for the tranny and the miscellaneous parts for the swap.

i just thought i'd share my experiences. haven't bought the parts since my auto still works i guess. good luck with your swap!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:58 PM
dmontzsta

I just paid $2200 with rental cars to get the swap done, and I had the donor car. Then the trans just went out, stay away from yard trannies, or get it fully rebuilt, I am having a full overhaul done, with new gears and all...I am not going through this again...$4k just for a 5 speed.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:00 PM

Re: Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

Originally posted by ghostmax

if you don't mind my asking,
1.) is the junkyard giving a warranty on the tranny?
2.) how many miles on the odo?
3.) what year max is it coming out of?

i went to a yard last week and found about 3 manual third gens and 2 second gens. was quoted at 550 for the tranny (91 max with 200K miles). don't know if he warranted it or not, but it did go into all gears (a little tough into reverse). he said he would take 600 for the tranny and the miscellaneous parts for the swap.

i just thought i'd share my experiences. haven't bought the parts since my auto still works i guess. good luck with your swap!
92 GXE I think. On the research that I found, all 3rd Gen's match up so i'll let the tranny place do all the work. It's a private seller but the transmission place said that they would replace anything that needed to be replaced.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

92 GXE I think. On the research that I found, all 3rd Gen's match up so i'll let the tranny place do all the work. It's a private seller but the transmission place said that they would replace anything that needed to be replaced.
SE? Only SE's had the manual trannies. If you're getting a tranny from a 92-94, then you might have to get additional parts such as driveshafts and maybe different mounts. 85-91 should be a direct swap with 90-91 trannies having upgraded/better quality internals.

Dmontzsta, sorry to hear about that. Did the yard's tranny go into gears, check out fine when you bought it? About how many miles were on it? It's impossible to know the history of a vehicle in a yard. Let the buyer beware!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

Originally posted by ghostmax

SE? Only SE's had the manual trannies. If you're getting a tranny from a 92-94, then you might have to get additional parts such as driveshafts and maybe different mounts. 85-91 should be a direct swap with 90-91 trannies having upgraded/better quality internals.
Well I know there's a Five speed in it so if say that only 92-94 VE's had manual trannies then I guess so, your right. Anything that needs to be done, the tranny place will do and they will let us know but if I need new driftshafts and different mounts then I will just have them order them and put them on.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 PM

well

89-91 gxe had manual tranny that would bolt up to any vg engine

92-94 VE SE 5spd are compatiable with its own VE engine.

the 92-94 GXE had a vg engine with auto only.

92-94 SE VE cam in both auto and 5spd.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:20 PM

good luck bro with the 5 spd swap...
Old 04-03-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
well

No 3rd gen GXE came stock with a manual transmission. I'm guessing you meant 89-91 SE.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

No 3rd gen GXE came stock with a manual transmission. I'm guessing you meant 89-91 SE.
lol didnt mean that it came stock.. just an option?
Old 04-03-2003, 09:44 AM

lol didnt mean that it came stock.. just an option?
only 3rd gens with manual trannies were se's. the 4th gens had manuals on the gxe's.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

92-94 VE SE 5spd are compatiable with its own VE engine
it will work on the VG too.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:20 AM

well

92-94 VE SE 5spd are compatiable with its own VE engine.

the 92-94 GXE had a vg engine with auto only.

92-94 SE VE cam in both auto and 5spd.
But it will bolt up right, if it's a VE 5spd into my VG motor with the auto out??
Old 04-03-2003, 10:31 AM
AET

The 5-speed VE tranny has limited slip differential, 5-speed for VG doesn't. So at the very least you're gonna have to get new axles. I thought the bolt pattern was different from VGs to VEs, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by AET
The 5-speed VE tranny has limited slip differential, 5-speed for VG doesn't. So at the very least you're gonna have to get new axles. I thought the bolt pattern was different from VGs to VEs, but perhaps I'm wrong.
I'm confused now, Will the VE tranny be compatabile with the VG I have or not, i'm hearing a million different things .
Old 04-03-2003, 11:26 AM
AET

Hey man, just called my friend Barry who is the parts manager at the Nissan dealership in Lexington. He said that the parts # for the two trannys are different, and that more than likely they are not compatable. However, he did say that the bolt pattern might be the same, that the VE tranny MIGHT bolt up to a VG motor--- just because the part numbers are different doesn't automatically mean it won't work. He DID say that regardless, the VE tranny has limited slip, whereas the VG tranny does not. He said he is positive that because of this you would have to replace the axles if you did get a VE tranny to work-- no question about it. I remember seeing a post dealing with the VE/VG 5-speed compatability issues when I searched a few months ago. The conclusion I gathered was that they are NOT interchangable. I remember that one of the moderators had a for sure answer on this one, don't remember which. I would try pm ing one of the moderators--- matt93se would be a good one to try, he seems to be a walking, talking FSM. If he doesn't know, I'm sure he can tell you who does.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:28 AM
dmontzsta

you guys are all dumb, there is someone on this board driving his 93gxe with a VE VLSD tranny. now what?

Old 04-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by dmontzsta
you guys are all dumb, there is someone on this board driving his 93gxe with a VE VLSD tranny. now what?
who?
i know someone exchanged the "diff" from VE to VG..but not the entire deal.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:10 PM

So does it work or not?
Old 04-03-2003, 12:16 PM
AET

WE'RE ALL DUMB? This from the man who spent $4,000 on a tranny swap for a GXE w/ 260k? Come on man, you could've had a SE 5-speed in good shape for less than you spent on your ham fisted conversion! If you'de done that, you woulda had SE w/ better suspension, less milege on the car, and wouldn't need to vent your anger at people who are trying to help this guy. I think next time you decide to call EVERYONE stupid, you ought to think about how stupid your own choices have been, and think about how many org members read your post documenting your own stupidity! Now think about how nobody got rude with you, probably because most people on this site want to help one another, not talk smack out their *****! Especially from the crown prince of botched tranny swaps!
Old 04-03-2003, 12:38 PM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by AET
WE'RE ALL DUMB? This from the man who spent $4,000 on a tranny swap for a GXE w/ 260k? Come on man, you could've had a SE 5-speed in good shape for less than you spent on your ham fisted conversion! If you'de done that, you woulda had SE w/ better suspension, less milege on the car, and wouldn't need to vent your anger at people who are trying to help this guy. I think next time you decide to call EVERYONE stupid, you ought to think about how stupid your own choices have been, and think about how many org members read your post documenting your own stupidity! Now think about how nobody got rude with you, probably because most people on this site want to help one another, not talk smack out their *****! Especially from the crown prince of botched tranny swaps!
shut cha mouf noob, gxe eh?

go run and play...dont try and tell me how to spend my money.

VE 5 speed SE POWER!

Old 04-03-2003, 01:30 PM
AET

Don't give a mad foalk how you spend your loot, you obviously got more $$$ than you do either brains or courtesy! The point is try to help this man, not talk s***t. Just because your cars pimped out doesn't mean you know s**t from tar about this man's problem! By your own admission you got caught in a bad situation w/ your tranny, so why don't you offer something a little more constructive than, "You're all stupid." Have some humility you arrogant $#$%, this guy's trying to avoid something akin to what you did to yourself! This guy is taking the time to do his tranny right. He's trying to get answers so the job gets done right the first time, unlike some people.... Few people on here are Nissan mechanics, so most people are trying to help each other the best they can. Maybe you don't agree with everything you read, thats fine, I don't either. Doesn't make whoever posts it stupid. Just have a little courtesy man, people are only trying to help. And BTW, I might be a noob, but I knew before I bought my Max I wanted a 5-speed, so unlike you I haven't had to **** away the price of another car just to make it that way!
Old 04-03-2003, 01:36 PM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by AET
Don't give a mad foalk how you spend your loot, you obviously got more $$$ than you do either brains or courtesy! The point is try to help this man, not talk s***t. Just because your cars pimped out doesn't mean you know s**t from tar about this man's problem! By your own admission you got caught in a bad situation w/ your tranny, so why don't you offer something a little more constructive than, "You're all stupid." Have some humility you arrogant $#$%, this guy's trying to avoid something akin to what you did to yourself! This guy is taking the time to do his tranny right. He's trying to get answers so the job gets done right the first time, unlike some people.... Few people on here are Nissan mechanics, so most people are trying to help each other the best they can. Maybe you don't agree with everything you read, thats fine, I don't either. Doesn't make whoever posts it stupid. Just have a little courtesy man, people are only trying to help. And BTW, I might be a noob, but I knew before I bought my Max I wanted a 5-speed, so unlike you I haven't had to **** away the price of another car just to make it that way!
Listen noob, before you jump on me, you better get to know. I have talked to this man privately and helped him as much as possible, so what now? You dont even know whats going on, or what info I have given him. I was just throwing a smart azz comment in, to the people that were saying it is impossible, nothing is impossible.

Old 04-03-2003, 01:58 PM
AET

Glad to hear it. I agree that anything's possible, hell, swapping from auto to stick proves people will go through alot to have their Maxs the way they want them. I didn't know you were trying to help the man outside of the web, I think thats good s**t. I just got hot 'cause I thought you were tryin' to talk smack. If you were just smartassin', than its no thing. Got no beef with with different opinions, I just hate when people start that talking down to other people s**t. If that's not not what your game was, than I apologize, no beef.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:00 PM
dmontzsta

Originally posted by AET
Glad to hear it. I agree that anything's possible, hell, swapping from auto to stick proves people will go through alot to have their Maxs the way they want them. I didn't know you were trying to help the man outside of the web, I think thats good s**t. I just got hot 'cause I thought you were tryin' to talk smack. If you were just smartassin', than its no thing. Got no beef with with different opinions, I just hate when people start that talking down to other people s**t. If that's not not what your game was, than I apologize, no beef.

Old 04-03-2003, 02:14 PM

Aight coo, well I just need the strait up facts from anyone on if it's possible to use the VE tranny in my VG. What about the axles now?
Old 04-03-2003, 02:18 PM
dmontzsta

Aight coo, well I just need the strait up facts from anyone on if it's possible to use the VE tranny in my VG. What about the axles now?
try to find kaleb.

Old 04-03-2003, 02:33 PM
AET

The VE tranny's got limited slip, the VG trannys don't. The axles that work with each trannsmission are different. Axles from a VE Max are designed to work in the limited slip tranny, the axles in a VG Max aren't. So if you used a VE tranny, youd have to get the axles specific to the VE limited slip tranny.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by AET
The VE tranny's got limited slip, the VG trannys don't. The axles that work with each trannsmission are different. Axles from a VE Max are designed to work in the limited slip tranny, the axles in a VG Max aren't. So if you used a VE tranny, youd have to get the axles specific to the VE limited slip tranny.
OK well since I am buying the whole car then, should I have the tranny shop switch off the axles too or do you think that will be too much work for them?
Old 04-03-2003, 02:46 PM
AET

To swap your trannsmission, the shops gotta pull the axles anyways. So if you brought the the right ones to them, it would take them exactly NO LONGER, and hence, should be no more expensive (not to mention the others wouldn't fit right). Its just a matter of them using the axles you bring them instead of trying to put the ones they take off back in. Nothing extra for them to do.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by AET
To swap your trannsmission, the shops gotta pull the axles anyways. So if you brought the the right ones to them, it would take them exactly NO LONGER, and hence, should be no more expensive (not to mention the others wouldn't fit right). Its just a matter of them using the axles you bring them instead of trying to put the ones they take off back in. Nothing extra for them to do.
Ok well I will make sure to the shop that they need to switch the axles out of the old car as well to make sure everything mounts up well if they don't already know.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:20 PM

Hey, I was just wondering if you got your car back all right....
Old 04-30-2003, 07:56 PM

Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

If you feel some REAL attachment to your 15 year old car then throw another $2K into it. Personally, if I couldn't do the work myself I'd sell the 89 for whatever you can get, take that and the $2K and buy a 92 Max SE with the 190 hp engine that came with a manual.

I just purchased a 92 SE 5 spd manual w/LSD for $1476. Including the 16" Max wheels and new tires and fixing a few things I now have a total of $2500 into it.

Just my opinion..... and everybody has one.....

As some of may remember, my auto transmission is dying on me and I need a new a tranny so I checked on the org and have found out that converting to a manual could be the cheapest way and most affective mod that I can give my 89 Max SE. I took it to the transmission shop and talked to the guy there about the manual swap and he told me the best thing to do if I were to do the manual swap was to get a wrecked Maxima for cheap that has a good tranny in it and pick it up and take it to the tranny shop and then they can switch in the manual into mine and the auto in mine, out. Now the labor of this is not cheap, $1500 for it and the $500 for the junked Maxima. So i'm looking at about a $2K job when it's all done but my dad and I are gonna check out the junked Max in a few days to see when were gonna pick it up, so it should all be done in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the help that you guys gave me, it got me headed in the right direction;) .
Old 04-30-2003, 07:59 PM

Re: Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

Originally posted by shoult
If you feel some REAL attachment to your 15 year old car then throw another $2K into it. Personally, if I couldn't do the work myself I'd sell the 89 for whatever you can get, take that and the $2K and buy a 92 Max SE with the 190 hp engine that came with a manual.

I just purchased a 92 SE 5 spd manual w/LSD for $1476. Including the 16" Max wheels and new tires and fixing a few things I now have a total of $2500 into it.

Just my opinion..... and everybody has one.....

wher did you find this max
Old 04-30-2003, 08:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

wher did you find this max
I found it on...

wait for it...

eBay! of all places.....

I just spent another $225 on it for all new struts and a set of lowering springs. Should make for a fun saturday afternoon project. Total cost of vehicle will be upto $2800 after the alignment.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Manual Transmission Swap Update.......

Originally posted by shoult

I found it on...

wait for it...

eBay! of all places.....

I just spent another $225 on it for all new struts and a set of lowering springs. Should make for a fun saturday afternoon project. Total cost of vehicle will be upto $2800 after the alignment.
congrats on the purchase!