3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

intake mod help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

intake mod help

ive gone through everysingle post and i heard people talk about 20 dollar cone filters and i heard people talk about cutting holes in theyre stock intake box all for trying to get hp gains and what not. ive tried looking for these 20 cone filters....i dont want to spend like 150 and up on a intake for my car. is there something that i can buy for example, like a 20 cone filter and then just take off the whole stock intake box and just pop this cone filter on the end of the stock piping...im assuming there would be somewhat of a little difference in gas mileage or acceleration. can anyone give there advice? oh and i dont want to just go out a buy a 50 dollar k&n replacement filter....my main goal is to open up air flow to the engine not just by replacing the stock shaped filter. id be grateful for any advice.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by themaximus91
ive gone through everysingle post and i heard people talk about 20 dollar cone filters and i heard people talk about cutting holes in theyre stock intake box all for trying to get hp gains and what not. ive tried looking for these 20 cone filters....i dont want to spend like 150 and up on a intake for my car. is there something that i can buy for example, like a 20 cone filter and then just take off the whole stock intake box and just pop this cone filter on the end of the stock piping...im assuming there would be somewhat of a little difference in gas mileage or acceleration. can anyone give there advice? oh and i dont want to just go out a buy a 50 dollar k&n replacement filter....my main goal is to open up air flow to the engine not just by replacing the stock shaped filter. id be grateful for any advice.
well the cheap way is to take your stock box and take the part that connects to the maf out (drill the pop rivets out) and bend it to accept a cone filter of your choosing. I got mine from autozone for $20.

Keep in mind you really arent going to get much gain. I did it for the sound and look.

The best thing to do though would be to buy a CAI from warpspeedperformance.com or some of the other makers for $150-$300.
That will give you the best gain and what I will be doing soon.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:53 PM

Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by themaximus91
oh and i dont want to just go out a buy a 50 dollar k&n replacement filter....my main goal is to open up air flow to the engine not just by replacing the stock shaped filter. id be grateful for any advice.
umm...K&N filters does open up the air flow. they flow more air than the stock units. yes if you get a K&N drop in panal, you won't see big, if any, gains at all.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:22 AM

did what i did and spend 50 bucks on a cai custom made for a poor max(my self) and n34jz..

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=181563
Old 04-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Lil 8

Re: Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by awsm66

well the cheap way is to take your stock box and take the part that connects to the maf out (drill the pop rivets out) and bend it to accept a cone filter of your choosing. I got mine from autozone for $20.

Keep in mind you really arent going to get much gain. I did it for the sound and look.

The best thing to do though would be to buy a CAI from warpspeedperformance.com or some of the other makers for $150-$300.
That will give you the best gain and what I will be doing soon.

yes u must remember where are u getting the air from!!! Hot air is less dense resulting in less air molecules that enter into the engine while cold air is much more dense resulting in bigger gains!! do CAI in my opinion the pop charger more or less what they call it will just give u a louder sound u will stll be sucking in the radiator's heat and the engine's heat so u can do the math and see TONS OF HEAT good luck on ya choice i am planning on doing a mandrel bent CAI less bends more HP
Old 04-27-2003, 10:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by jkmay01

yes u must remember where are u getting the air from!!! Hot air is less dense resulting in less air molecules that enter into the engine while cold air is much more dense resulting in bigger gains!! do CAI in my opinion the pop charger more or less what they call it will just give u a louder sound u will stll be sucking in the radiator's heat and the engine's heat so u can do the math and see TONS OF HEAT good luck on ya choice i am planning on doing a mandrel bent CAI less bends more HP
for the most part that's true, but at highway speeds, the temperature under the hood is about the same as the ouside temperature
Old 04-27-2003, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by jkmay01

I think you guys are forgetting that the lower intake manifold is the part that transfers coolant (hot) between the heads...and heats up the intake air. The bigges temperature changes happen when there is the greatest temperature differential. This is the hottest part of the intake system and will have a much greater impact on the temperature of intake air in the cylinders than the location of the filter.

This means that the temp of air at the filter is not going to make much of a difference.

If you want to see big gains from cooler intake, you should figure a way to keep coolant from the lower intake manifold. There's your challenge...
Old 04-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by Engloid

I think you guys are forgetting that the lower intake manifold is the part that transfers coolant (hot) between the heads...and heats up the intake air. The bigges temperature changes happen when there is the greatest temperature differential. This is the hottest part of the intake system and will have a much greater impact on the temperature of intake air in the cylinders than the location of the filter.

This means that the temp of air at the filter is not going to make much of a difference.

If you want to see big gains from cooler intake, you should figure a way to keep coolant from the lower intake manifold. There's your challenge...
well i got a cai set upo and the tube is cool to the touch after a long trip and i open the hood, so i dont think its really hotter than the pop charger..
Old 04-28-2003, 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: intake mod help

Originally posted by crazy4maxima

well i got a cai set upo and the tube is cool to the touch after a long trip and i open the hood, so i dont think its really hotter than the pop charger..
The point I was making is that the temp of intake air when it gets to the cylinders is the most important thing, and I seriously doubt anybody here has put on a "cai" and checked temp at that point after putting it on.

In all reality, it should be called AAI for ambient air intake.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think what you guys discusse is true but there is another option you could custom build your intake buy routing it through the fender and as far away from the heat that is generated by the engine. it's not that easy but possible
Old 04-30-2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Ewindela
I think what you guys discusse is true but there is another option you could custom build your intake buy routing it through the fender and as far away from the heat that is generated by the engine. it's not that easy but possible
yea that's called a cold air intake
Old 05-01-2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Ewindela
Excuse for me being dumb but how would you do this???