3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ready to buy 92 SE 5sp, good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ready to buy 92 SE 5sp, good deal?

I'm not a regular on this forum, but looks like an excellent source of Maxima expertise. Please give your opinion if possible.

I looked at a 1992 SE 5sp. today with 108K miles, the guy will go as low as $3800.00. The interior (black dash w/beigh seats) and exterior (pearl white) are in excellent shape. As far as I can tell, no accidents, every thing looks original.
I'm planning to have it checked out at a local shop tomorrow. What kind of things should I ask them to check? This VTC thing scares me. Because the search is down, I couldn't get much info. The car is running great now, is there a way to check the variable timing components? What are the chances of the VTC going bad?

Any other comments would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:04 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Re: Ready to buy 92 SE 5sp, good deal?

Originally posted by sgoyal
I'm not a regular on this forum, but looks like an excellent source of Maxima expertise. Please give your opinion if possible.

I looked at a 1992 SE 5sp. today with 108K miles, the guy will go as low as $3800.00. The interior (black dash w/beigh seats) and exterior (pearl white) are in excellent shape. As far as I can tell, no accidents, every thing looks original.
I'm planning to have it checked out at a local shop tomorrow. What kind of things should I ask them to check? This VTC thing scares me. Because the search is down, I couldn't get much info. The car is running great now, is there a way to check the variable timing components? What are the chances of the VTC going bad?

Any other comments would be great. Thanks.
You'll know if it's got VTC failure cuz it'll be clacking like crazy unless they're grounded (which I'd doubt unless this person is a Maxima guru). Even at that a non-working VTC VE will still hand any VG it's @ss.

IMO (and probably most other 3rd genners) ...

If you come across a good condition VE 5spd for a fair price buy it regardless of VTC failure or not.

Good luck with it
Old 04-07-2003, 06:06 PM

Re: Re: Ready to buy 92 SE 5sp, good deal?

If you have a mechanic check it out and its cool I would definitely grab it. Like James said when you find a good condition 3rd gen 5spd you should take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:39 PM

I'm thinking of having a compression check, cylinder leak down maybe. Look for leaks etc. Anything specific I should look for? I'm prepared to spend a few hundred dollars for minor stuff, but just don't want anything major right off the back.

SGOYAL
Old 04-07-2003, 10:39 PM

James92SE,

So if the VTC stops working, I can still drive the car? I thought I would have to get it fixed right away.

Also this car has Bose speakers in the doors and the rear deck, but the stereo doesn't say Bose. There is a little storage compartment underneath the single DIN unit. Is that normal ?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:24 PM

James92SE,

So if the VTC stops working, I can still drive the car? I thought I would have to get it fixed right away.

Also this car has Bose speakers in the doors and the rear deck, but the stereo doesn't say Bose. There is a little storage compartment underneath the single DIN unit. Is that normal ?

Thanks.
yes and yes.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by ghostmax

yes and yes.
Ghostmax, a little more detail please, about the VTC. How is the drivability with VTC not working. I'm a little afraid of having to spend $2-3K a few months after buying the car.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2003, 09:30 AM

Ghostmax, a little more detail please, about the VTC. How is the drivability with VTC not working. I'm a little afraid of having to spend $2-3K a few months after buying the car.

Thanks
you will have to ask someone else with a ve (i have a vg). you would probably have a loss of power at a certain range in the rpm band.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:33 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Thanks
Failing VTC's make a considerably loud ticking sound. If they fail completely, you can still drive. You can ground them with about $5 in parts from radio shack. That will eliminate the noise. I was quoted $1200 by the dealer to fix my VTCs.

If it doesn't tick, don't worry, return here when it does.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:42 AM

b&w, thanks for the reply. So it sounds like the VTC in your Max did go bad. Are you still driving like that or have gotten it fixed? Whats the power like?

To the average Joe, would it basically drive like a normal car?

Sorry, if I'm asking hard questions, but I'm taking it to the mech. in 1 hr. and want to know as much as I can.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

b&w, thanks for the reply. So it sounds like the VTC in your Max did go bad. Are you still driving like that or have gotten it fixed? Whats the power like?

To the average Joe, would it basically drive like a normal car?

Sorry, if I'm asking hard questions, but I'm taking it to the mech. in 1 hr. and want to know as much as I can.

Thanks.
yes if nothing else is wrong it will drive and run normal. I think Craig has had his grounded for a couple years. Mine have been grounded for about a year.

Mine kinda idled funny when it was grounded but I had other problems I had to fix (O2, cracked coils). Now it idles fine.

now that I think of it have the mech pull the front coils and check for cracks. if they are cracked have him come off the price. I think new coils are around $60 a piece and there are 6 of em.

good luck and dont be freaked out about the vtcs.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:02 PM

I now own a 92 SE 5sp

Ok, I finally bought the car. I'm definitely excited, its a great looking car and I think it looks better than my wife's 96 Max. Now I'd like to start off with doing what it needs right away. (Later I'd be interested in some easy perf. upgrades) I'm taking it to the shop on Friday for a detailed check-up. A few things I've noticed so far,

I think I do here the VTCs clicking lightly, is there an oil treatment that might help overtime?

As far as I know there is no valve adjustment on these, so the lifters shouldn't be clicking.

The left outer CV boot is torn, I think I'm hearing a little clicking/chattering from the joint too. Should I just get that boot/joint replaced or better to do the complete shaft?

The clutch pedal feels a bit 'spongy' I expected a firmer clutch on a sports sedan.

Only the Left Front speaker is working, I gotta figure out whats going on there. What usually goes first, the radio or the Bose speakers?

Thanks for your help,

sgoyal
Old 04-09-2003, 12:59 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Re: I now own a 92 SE 5sp

Only the Left Front speaker is working, I gotta figure out whats going on there. What usually goes first, the radio or the Bose speakers?
Congrats on the purchase...

It's not necessarily the speakers but the amps on each speaker...those crap out and are very expensive to fix.

I havent heard many people say their Bose radio crapped out, but mine certainly did.

Just about everyone on here agrees the best thing to do if you're having problems (which is likely lol) is replace the whole system with aftermarket stuff.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: I now own a 92 SE 5sp

Originally posted by James92SE

Congrats on the purchase...

It's not necessarily the speakers but the amps on each speaker...those crap out and are very expensive to fix.

I havent heard many people say their Bose radio crapped out, but mine certainly did.

Just about everyone on here agrees the best thing to do if you're having problems (which is likely lol) is replace the whole system with aftermarket stuff.
its not tha expensive to repair. I did all 4 amps for under $20...now my labor factored in there would cost but still.

I can rebuild them for $20 a piece with most of that being labor. or you can go here ( http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ose+and+repair )and look at what needs to be done and if your good with a soldering gun and de soldering you can fix it yourself.

now of course you can put a better system but if its just the amps its worth it to fix them unless you want the best quality system in your car.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:52 PM

Awsm66, thanks a lot for the info. on the amp repair. In my case the right front just make an occasional ticking noise, that it no other sound. The wiring for the rear has been cut from the amps, so I have to connect it back and see what the problem is. (they left a couple of inches for me to connect it back, thankfully)

I'd rather not change out the whole system at this point if possible. I'll probably add an .mp3 RF changer though.

Thanks
sg
Old 04-09-2003, 04:46 PM

Awsm66, thanks a lot for the info. on the amp repair. In my case the right front just make an occasional ticking noise, that it no other sound. The wiring for the rear has been cut from the amps, so I have to connect it back and see what the problem is. (they left a couple of inches for me to connect it back, thankfully)

I'd rather not change out the whole system at this point if possible. I'll probably add an .mp3 RF changer though.

Thanks
sg
If the wires are cut then they probaly had aftermarket in there already and just put the factory bose crap back in when they got rid of the car. It dosent make senst for you to put a Mp3 changer in hooked up to those bose speakers its going to sound like crap. With the bose if your going to replace one component of the system then it is better to just change it all. Thats just my opinion.