3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

"Grrl Grrl" noise when throttle pushed hard !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 07:11 PM

"Grrl Grrl" noise when throttle pushed hard !!!

Whenever I push the throttle half way or more, the car starts to make this "grrl grrl" noise. It sounds like something is loose near the engine bay but can't figure out what it is. Can anyone help...
Old 04-09-2003, 07:15 PM

By the way, it is a vg auto max... it has 176,000 miles on it.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by max_pusher
By the way, it is a vg auto max... it has 176,000 miles on it.
exhaust studs (sounds like every sound leads back tot he studs lol).

Sounds like something rattling either behind your headunit or in the engine bay right? happens during hard acceleration..mine used to do it...till this past monday when i changed all my exhaust studs
my advice is get them checked and done wuickly before they start snapping. It will cost more to start extracting them after they break. Mechanic had 3 break while removing them, and he didnt have to drop the engine..mechanical marvel.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the reply lophix, that sounds about right. I thought the exhaust studs only made noises when the engine was first started up and went away when it warmed up. That used to occur until two week ago when this started to happen.

Does this mean that the exhaust studs might be broken? How much did it cost for you to get them replaced? How long did it take?

I am thinking about fixing them myself. Do you guys have any advice before I get this started this week?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the reply lophix, that sounds about right. I thought the exhaust studs only made noises when the engine was first started up and went away when it warmed up. That used to occur until two week ago when this started to happen.

Does this mean that the exhaust studs might be broken? How much did it cost for you to get them replaced? How long did it take?

I am thinking about fixing them myself. Do you guys have any advice before I get this started this week?
well for starters, confirm it is the studs..check with one of them extension mirror thingys. Also if you havent, get a service manual (haynes/chilton) to identify where they are. if you can confirm that it is the studs, order the parts in the link below.

http://members.csinet.net/tisch/maxima/studs.htm

i'd highly suggest you give it to someone to do, as long as they're ase certified and seem to know what theyre talking bout. this is just in case they have to drill them out. i paid 212.50 to get mine done and that was just labor...i bought the parts myselg from a dealership. goodluck
Old 04-10-2003, 10:34 PM

How much did you pay for the parts? Which dealer did you guy from? Are the four parts on the link all I need to get to fix the exhaust studs? How many studs are there for each header? In the FSM, I see there are only 6 for each stud.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 PM

How much did you pay for the parts? Which dealer did you guy from? Are the four parts on the link all I need to get to fix the exhaust studs? How many studs are there for each header? In the FSM, I see there are only 6 for each stud.
6 per side. I got them from a local dealer in town here, paid $54.84 after tax....any nissan dealership should be able to get them. Call courtesy parts up and ask to speak to kaleb...he might give you a maxima.org discount. All the parts listed are what you'll need to do one side: wither fron or rear...i believe that was for the rear...the gasket for the front is different. 6 studs per side.