3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stupid headlight problem---kind of long--

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stupid headlight problem---kind of long--

Ok I know this has been a issue for years on this board. I put upgraded 80/100 watts bulbs in the 9004 headlight socket. But then it melted the sockets so I went out and bought the upgraded headlight harness. Then it worked good but still melted the 9004 socket on the drivers side. Now this happened all last year. I should of just bought bimmers light by now and saved me all this time and money. I can I get it too work properly. I can going to do some work on it this weekend to see if I can get the harness to do the right job. All the problems happened last summer so now I get to address then this summer again. All I wanted were bright headlights.
When the harness who on you could tell a great difference but the high beams would not work. So I went back to the stock wattage bulbs but I want to put the harness back on again to see if I can solve the problem!!

Any help, comments, suggestion would be GREAT!!
Old 05-01-2003, 07:57 PM

1. calm down when posting

2. i don't see how the upgraded harness can melt unless the wires were at the same or little bigger gauge than the factory ones. how big were the wires on the upgraded harness?
Old 05-01-2003, 08:20 PM

I bought the upgraded harness, and I've never had a problem. You probably just bought it from the wrong company or something or you installed it wrong.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:34 PM

Ok first off MaximaBalla I didnt install it wrong it is too simple mess up.But thanks for your input. MaximaBalla where did you get your harness?? I dont think it could of been made from the wrong company but you never know.

Secondly Fosgate Im getting mad because I just tried to mess with the headlight yesterday night and pulled the bulb out and the stupid socket pongs came out withe socket. This broke the bulb so it cant be used anymore. The wires on the harness are just about the same size. So what gives? I guess I need a new harness. Another $30 bucks. Next time I want get it off ebay?? Fosgate Fan I know you have been on this board for a while so thanks for any help.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:51 PM

Never mind sorry MaximaBalla I think I did install it wrong because I used search which really didnt help me last time I just it last year. I have to make sure I have all the wires correctly connected the right one. So basically just a little time and troubleshooting should fix the problem and I will finally be happy with my investment on the harness. I will update once I do it. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
Old 05-01-2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by tightblue89
Never mind sorry MaximaBalla I think I did install it wrong because I used search which really didnt help me last time I just it last year. I have to make sure I have all the wires correctly connected the right one. So basically just a little time and troubleshooting should fix the problem and I will finally be happy with my investment on the harness. I will update once I do it. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
good luck with the install

i too was going the upgrade harness route until my friends recomended silverstars. i love them but it won't be as bright as those 80/100 bulbs when you have them up and running.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Destroying The Hopes And Dreams of Honda Owners Everywhere!

i bought an upgraded wiring harness from this guy on ebay i believe the seller name was ntbk. it was a somewhat weird upgrade wiring setup but it works great except that my high beam works on one side only. however i am now running 80/100 bulbs and they look fantastic nice and bright and very white. It was well worth the upgrade. i never really use high beams anyways and frankly the output is enough to which i dont even really need it. also this upgrade from them requires no splicing which is great cause if you do the bmw headlight conversion you wont have to cut up the stock headlight harnesses.