3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Problem w/ automatic windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 09:51 PM
greasedunk

Hi,

Searching through the web to find some information on how to fix the automatic system of my 89 maxima, I stumbled across this site. Since it seemed pretty neat and busy, I thought I would try my luck here.

I searched through the 3rd gen forum to see whether anyone had encountered the same problem that I have. In the past 3 years, the mechanism on my automatic side windows have broken down. One today. I already got one fixed, which cost me a small fortune, and I am not about ready to get the other two fixed by a shop. I was wondering whether anyone else has had this problem, and whether I could get some help on how to fix it. A good start would be on how to pull the door panel off. :-)

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2001, 10:11 PM

find a post by craig b and then click the link to go to his webpage, he has exact instructions on how to replace the regulator which is the problem you have. so just find a post or go to the search link at the top right and type in the topic.

oh wiat, its your lucky day, i found the link to his page.... http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html enjoy!
Old 01-21-2001, 10:40 PM
greasedunk

Thanks for your help. After searching some more, I figured out it was the regulator and had found the part #s from kalebonline. I just needed to figure out how to pull the door panel off, which the link you supplied gave me directions on. Now it's time for me to get it fixed.

Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2001, 09:52 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Be sure to let everyone in the group know if U run into any problems. I replaced my D/S rear regulator last month without a hitch. The only problem I encountered was the 'brain fart' I had, thinking that the regulator came with a window motor. I ended up dupster diving for my motor, because I threw it out prior to opening the box.
Old 01-23-2001, 03:50 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

ive had to replace a wondow regulator in the rear driver side but my front windows needed some silicone gel because there getting REALLY slow. i was told to keep them greased or it coudl cause regulator failure
Old 01-23-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by maxse91
ive had to replace a wondow regulator in the rear driver side but my front windows needed some silicone gel because there getting REALLY slow. i was told to keep them greased or it coudl cause regulator failure
Hmmm..were yours really slow all the time....or like just in the AM when it's really cold? One of my back ones doesn't work at all..I'll head my son to that web page and have it check it out. My driver's side window is only sluggish in the morning. Will roll up about 4 inches..stop..then if I press the button again..will roll up slowly like another 4 inches...so on and so on. Was this similar to yours or did it to it all the time? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2001, 04:44 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by OWhatAThrill
Originally posted by maxse91
Hmmm..were yours really slow all the time....or like just in the AM when it's really cold? One of my back ones doesn't work at all..I'll head my son to that web page and have it check it out. My driver's side window is only sluggish in the morning. Will roll up about 4 inches..stop..then if I press the button again..will roll up slowly like another 4 inches...so on and so on. Was this similar to yours or did it to it all the time? Thanks.

well if your asking me, my windows well jsut the front 2 are pretty much slow all the time and this is a frequent problem among alot of maxima owners. mine are slow but yea when its really cold there really slow and it sjut takes awhile. my brotheris a mechanic and hit it up wiht sum silicone gel and there moving alot faster. plus im a windows down kinda person and i guess they can "dry" out if u use them alot. but as for the wondow regulator breaking the lgoner u go witho0ut putting those wondows down the more likly it will break liek mine did.
Old 01-23-2001, 05:06 PM

yea, my driver window goes up really slow, but its because it doesnt slide along the trck in the door that well. when you put your windows up, try pushing on the window, like towards the back of the car so in a way it looses it off the track, and it will go up much faster. its hard to explain, but experiment and youll see what im saying.... i tried graphite in there, but it didnt work, so i gotta find some silicon gel to put in the track.
Old 01-23-2001, 06:37 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Window Regulator - 1989 to 1994 Maxima

<a href="http://www.courtesyparts.com/onlinestore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Cod e=j30_oem_regulator">Window Regulator </a>
Old 01-23-2001, 08:17 PM

dude....our max windows suck, really. I live in Jersey and the cold makes them extremely slow! Usually when its warmer they work fine but last week one of them fell into the door, yup time for a new regulator. My friend has a 91 SE and had the same thing happen to him....why doesnt someone talk to nissian and recall them or somes***.
Old 01-24-2001, 05:10 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

They wont recall

the car is to old and its not a saftey problem it would cost them too much anyway
Old 02-02-2001, 07:25 AM
maxattack

Same Problem with window regulator

Back in '96 we had to have all 4 window regulators replaced in succession about 1 month apart and now it's happening again!!

We recently (2 mths ago) had the front passangers side replaced and now the rear drivers side is on the outs.

What gives? Does anyone know if Nissan is taking responsibility for this faulty equipment (i.e Recall, Re-imbursement for repair etc.)?

Old 02-02-2001, 07:43 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

i dont think they will do anything about it....they supposedly have "fixed" the problems on new regulators so that you wont have to go thru all this again. they are supposed to be stronger and not break easily. i dont have new regulators so i couldnt say for sure though.