3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

warm negtive battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 02:59 PM

warm negtive battery terminal

problem: the negative terminal on my max's battery is pretty warm to the touch. the engine was still cold.

i notice it yesterday when changing the fuse on my amp's fuse holder thing. my forarm touched it and i though wow that's warm.
what can cause this? i checked the wires to see if any are damaged but they seem ok. any ideas/help would appreciated. thanks a lot.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:05 PM

A warm terminal means there is a voltage drop accross the terminal (meaning there is resistance caused by corrosion). If you have stock terminals then I dont find this surprising. What I suggest is that you clean the terminals. You can remove the terminal, and use warm water mixed with some baking soda. Then insert the terminal in the solution and you'll see it fizzle (the corrsion will dissolve away). Then thuroughly(sp?) dry the terminal. I'd suggest also using a 'battery terminal brush' also to clean both the terminal and the post. After reassembling then use a small amount of bearing grease or dielectric grease and apply a thin coating on all exposed metal (the terminal and post, exposed wire) to help prevent oxidation from occuring again.

Note: do not get any of the grease on the area that makes electrical contact (meaning the outside of the post that contacts the terminal). So only put on the grease after the terminal is secured back in place.

You should also notice the engine turn over faster!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE
A warm terminal means there is a voltage drop accross the terminal (meaning there is resistance caused by corrosion). If you have stock terminals then I dont find this surprising. What I suggest is that you clean the terminals. You can remove the terminal, and use warm water mixed with some baking soda. Then insert the terminal in the solution and you'll see it fizzle (the corrsion will dissolve away). Then thuroughly(sp?) dry the terminal. I'd suggest also using a 'battery terminal brush' also to clean both the terminal and the post. After reassembling then use a small amount of bearing grease or dielectric grease and apply a thin coating on all exposed metal (the terminal and post, exposed wire) to help prevent oxidation from occuring again.

Note: do not get any of the grease on the area that makes electrical contact (meaning the outside of the post that contacts the terminal). So only put on the grease after the terminal is secured back in place.

You should also notice the engine turn over faster!
nice detailed replied, thanks a lot man. i'll clean it first thing tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:49 PM

yep your advice worked. the terminal is no longer warm to the touch

there was a lot of oxidation on there. cleaned it off with warm water and baking soda. thanks again
Old 05-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Excellent

Does it start faster?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by eric93SE
Excellent

Does it start faster?
yep, the engine doesn't have to crank as long.