3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need help with interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 02:32 PM

I would like to replace all my interior lights, i.e. map light, door lights, etc... with hyper whites.
Can someone please give me all or some of the bulb numbers and the best way to get at them.
Also if you know a cheap place to buy the bulbs please let me know...thanks.

Thanks,
Roman

p.s.
Yes...someone probably asked this question before but I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:16 AM

Ok......
No one has any idea what the bulb numbers are?
WTF?! Help a guy out here...
Old 01-26-2001, 03:45 PM

Bulbs behind gauges: 194
Step lights: 158

as for the personal lights i could not find them in my manual.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

lights in the doors are 194 wedge.
Old 01-26-2001, 07:53 PM

Roman

I know where you can get the 194 Xenons around here. They are about $6 a pair. you will need 4 pairs to do your guages and doors. Where in Mass are you?
Old 01-29-2001, 10:56 AM

Re: Roman

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI
I know where you can get the 194 Xenons around here. They are about $6 a pair. you will need 4 pairs to do your guages and doors. Where in Mass are you?
I work in Natick, live in Southborough, go to school in Wellesley. I don't think I am going to redo the gauges because that is too much effort but I do want to do the door lighting and stuff like that.
Where do they sell those types of bulbs?
Old 01-29-2001, 12:34 PM

There's a place in westboro called westboro auto supply. That is where I get my bulbs. He sells them out of a catolog with no markup, so the prices are pretty good. I dont think that the guages would be that bad. I could even do it for you if you didnt want to. Since I've been back there a few times it doesnt seem to be that difficult anymore. The only thing is I'm not sure if replacing your bulbs would change the color, it will just make your guages much brighter (that whole overlay thing). They are at the rotary in downtown Westboro on brigham street. If you want, I can call the guy and have him prepare four bulbs for you. they'll about 11 bucks all together.
Old 01-29-2001, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI
There's a place in westboro called westboro auto supply. That is where I get my bulbs. He sells them out of a catolog with no markup, so the prices are pretty good. I dont think that the guages would be that bad. I could even do it for you if you didnt want to. Since I've been back there a few times it doesnt seem to be that difficult anymore. The only thing is I'm not sure if replacing your bulbs would change the color, it will just make your guages much brighter (that whole overlay thing). They are at the rotary in downtown Westboro on brigham street. If you want, I can call the guy and have him prepare four bulbs for you. they'll about 11 bucks all together.

Thanks for the info. Right now I just want to replace the lights in the doors with xenon hyperwhites...I can't seem to figure out how to get at the personal lights or the dome light. So until I figure that out I'll just replace the door lights. I would appreciate if you could ask the guy to order 4 bulbs for me. Just let me know how and when I can pick them up...$11 sounds good to me.
A FSTB is next on my mod list and after that I will try to get some white face gauges and perhaps you will help me out with replacing the bulbs in there.

Thanks for the help,
Roman
Old 01-29-2001, 03:11 PM
living out of a maxima...

Dome lamp...

...is very easy. I changed all the bulbs in the interior (not dash, yet) without any trouble. Just use a flat head screwdriver or maybe a small knife to pry open the cover on the dome light. The bulb is one of those 'Eurorpean" designs or something. The small version, though. Looks kinda like this:

I don't know about the personal lights, haven't got to them yet.
One final question about the dash lights... could I make them red also to have red dash? Would I need a superwhile bulb with red covering or something to make it bright enough?
Old 01-30-2001, 07:45 AM
OG and counting...

Keep me informed on this as well. That may be a project I may consider.
Old 01-30-2001, 03:15 PM

I had them order those bulbs for you man, All you have to do is go there and ask for the two pairs of Xenon 194 bulbs that I called in for you and they'll have them right behind the counter for you man. Let me if you need any more nfo.
later
clark
Old 01-30-2001, 09:40 PM

I'd love some Xenon 194's if anyone could tell me where to get them in Kansas City (or maybe ship them in?).

Also, how in the heck do you take out the little covers over the map lights? I took a look at it the other day and it didn't seem obvious to me. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-2001, 02:52 PM
OG and counting...

I have a couple of questions.

a) Do the Xenon bulbs generate a greater amount of heat that it damages the housing the lights reside in?

b) If not, where can I get them in Chicago and for how much?
Old 02-01-2001, 04:20 PM

Map lights!!

for the lights by the moon roof switch. You have to get a flat head screw driver and go to the pass. side. Stick the flat head between the plastic piece and the roof and push on it. Like you are trying to push in downward. You have to do it on this side cause on the driver side there is a plastic piece that slides in. so if you tried to do it on the Driver side you will break the plastic thingy. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2001, 04:41 PM

All I did was pry it out with my fingers. Pulled it striaght down. pull on the pass side as wizard said. Xenon's do produce more heat than typical bulbs, but the plastic housing the bulbs are in are heat resistant and the bulbs dont produce enought heat to damage them. Not too sure about availability in chicago though, Im in Mass.

BTW: I got my inspection today, the Xenon 9004's, 1157's and 194's all passed. I guess Xenon headlights are legal as long as they are the same color. although I no longer have any amber bulbs, it may vary between states. Plus I had amber fogs on the car. I get an A+ for Massachusetts.