3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

¡¡HELP!! Stalling = trans...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 02:16 PM

¡¡HELP!! Stalling = trans...

Hey all here's my problem: (i have a 94 auto gxe maxima with 120k
miles and two new injectors :-x )

Back a week ago i was having some major stalling problems. I would start my car up (in nuetral and park it was fine) and when it was in gear it would rev quickly between 500 and 1100 rpm then sputter and die. I took it in, and the kids at the shop put a new injector in costing me $600. If only i knew how to install an injector i would save $450 on labor. (any site refrences would be cool )
So i get it back, swap cars with my mom, drive her sebring up to chicago for the weekend. When i get back she lets me drive my own car again and the problem is still there. It is doing the exact same thing.
The catch now is it is only doing the stall/die thing when it first starts up in the morning. When the engine is warm it doesn't seem to be having as bad of a time. SO i took it back over there. They couldn't dupilicate the problem until the morning. I get a call saying that it needs a new transmission. Saying there were metal shavings in the transmission fluid...Crazy! They are telling me it will cost 2700 for a rebuilt and 3000 for a new tranny. This seems like an insane amount.

-------------------------------------

I was wondering if this sounded like a right diagnosis. And if this sounded like a bad price. Also i have been wanting to somehow convert my maxima to a manuel tranny. Is this possible with my car? ('94 gxe front-whell-drive auto maxima) Would it be an absurd amount or cheaper to convert it? Could i replace the tranny myself or is it entirly too much work? What should i do? Haha.

--------------------------------------

So many questions i know....but the tranny problem is going to cost more than half the value of my car lol. I figure i should investigate a little more first. Anyway thanks for bearing with me and my whiney long message. Please help me out if you can! Thanks!
Kevin
Old 06-07-2003, 04:50 PM

Re: ¡¡HELP!! Stalling = trans...

Anyone? Anyone at all? Hello?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: ¡¡HELP!! Stalling = trans...

Originally posted by KaneTHS
Anyone? Anyone at all? Hello?
The trans is probably toast! I had the same problem for a couple of weeks until the planetary gears exploded! I repaired the trans and the transshop said it was lack of oil going to the gears. Caused by a partial plugged oil cooler, a common problem on this model.

Lars-Erik
Old 06-27-2003, 04:14 PM

yeah, mine did the same thing. Would cut off if i put it in reverse or drive unless the engine was really warm, or i immediatly gave it gas. It would also try and cut off if i stopped at a light or something. Turned out to be the temperature gauge and the harness for it. Parts were like 20 bucks each, but i got it done with my motor mounts so dont know labor. Ran perfect after the repair. and my transmission was fine. Hope that helped
Old 06-27-2003, 07:07 PM

Wow guys...thanks so much. You all RULE!!!! : ) No, but honestly thanks ya'll for the input - unfortunatly it was the tranny...and apparently due to a lack of fluid....which was discovered by a leak in something or another...which was fixed...and now it works!!!! Whaoo! Thanks again...for the like third time. Asta la taco.
Kevin