3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Window Regulator questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Way out West

Window Regulator questions

I went around a corner Friday and zip, my window dropped for no reason. Of course, you all know the story -- the regulator went kaput.

I took the door panel off and checked it (BIG props to Craig and Matt on their instructions) and the thing is definitely not rebuildable. The top pulley is trashed, the wires are a jumble on the big pulley (which has broken plastic, too) and plastic in the bottom is broken off. The window was stuck down and the regulator was jammed with messed up cable (couldn't hold window up) so I took the whole thing apart and removed the window.

Since I can't use the SEARCH, here are my questions:

1)Is it a good idea to get a used regulator, or will it probably fail and I have to go through this BS again?

2)If I buy a new one, where do you all recommend I get it?

3)I did some looking and some parts places have "improved" regulators built to last longer, is this correct, and should I get one of those?

4)Who wants to come to my garage and put the new one in for a 6-pack

thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2003, 07:54 PM

Re: Window Regulator questions

Courtesy nissan in Dallas has regulators at a reasonable price.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Red92MaxSE
I went around a corner Friday and zip, my window dropped for no reason. Of course, you all know the story -- the regulator went kaput.

I took the door panel off and checked it (BIG props to Craig and Matt on their instructions) and the thing is definitely not rebuildable. The top pulley is trashed, the wires are a jumble on the big pulley (which has broken plastic, too) and plastic in the bottom is broken off. The window was stuck down and the regulator was jammed with messed up cable (couldn't hold window up) so I took the whole thing apart and removed the window.

Since I can't use the SEARCH, here are my questions:

1)Is it a good idea to get a used regulator, or will it probably fail and I have to go through this BS again?
DON'T even bother with a used piece. You're just asking to have to change it again.

Courtesy Nissan has new ones for the rear for about $60. You'll have to swap your current motor over though. You can also get them on ebay for about $45 w/motor.

[QOUTE]3)I did some looking and some parts places have "improved" regulators built to last longer, is this correct, and should I get one of those?[/QUOTE]

This is what Courtesy Nissan sells. Not sure about what you'll find on eBay.

[QUOTE]4)Who wants to come to my garage and put the new one in for a 6-pack [QUOTE]

A six pack just for changing ONE? I probably wouldn't even finish the first beer in the time it takes to change it, well unless it was REAL HOT out!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:26 AM

DON'T even bother with a used piece. You're just asking to have to change it again.

Courtesy Nissan has new ones for the rear for about $60. You'll have to swap your current motor over though. You can also get them on ebay for about $45 w/motor.

3)I did some looking and some parts places have "improved" regulators built to last longer, is this correct, and should I get one of those?
This is what Courtesy Nissan sells. Not sure about what you'll find on eBay.

4)Who wants to come to my garage and put the new one in for a 6-pack
A six pack just for changing ONE? I probably wouldn't even finish the first beer in the time it takes to change it, well unless it was REAL HOT out!
Old 06-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Way out West

I guess I am just slow. It took me like 45 minutes to get everything all apart. I imagine on the second or third one I replace, I'll be able to bust it out in like 20-30 mins.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:06 PM

I guess I am just slow. It took me like 45 minutes to get everything all apart. I imagine on the second or third one I replace, I'll be able to bust it out in like 20-30 mins.
Yea, you're slow :P
Old 06-09-2003, 07:01 PM
Way out West

I'm going to Hawaii, YEAAAAAH!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ahh hawaii, that where my turbo ve was born, if you are going to oahu Ill can give you a few contacts for the local max enthus.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:28 PM

while we are on this topic... how hard is the actual job of putting these in. i've had 3 done so far... all at nissan for 150 a pop (what a mistake). any one have tips?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Way out West

It took me about 45 minutes to take it apart and it'll probably take an hour or so to put it back. In the FAQs for the 3rd gen forum, both Craig and Matt have step-by-step instructions. It isn't that hard to do. All I used was a small flat-head screw driver, a medium size philips and a 10mm socket (everyone with a Japanese car should have plenty of these, anyway).

BTW, $150 each really isn't that bad. I called my local dealer and they want $85.55 for the regulator (with no motor) and it calls for 2.5 hours for install at $65/hour. That's nearly $250. They also can't get the part for five business days unless I pay an extra $20 for overnight shipping. I just laughed at them. I checked around and Courtesy Nissan in Texas (you were right keener) has them for about $60. My car is sitting in the garage with everything torn apart until I get one ordered. I didn't get off work until nearly 6 p.m. West Coast time.

My only other tip is to stop rolling your windows up and down all of the time and you won't have to replace them so often! J/K
Old 06-10-2003, 12:25 AM

im confident since you been able to pull this one apart you should be able to put another one in. my userid on ebay is pvgrealestate but maybe if you look through my feedbacks you might figure out who i bought it from. some user sells the whole thing regulator and replacement motor for about 50-60 bucks his location is in phoenix az area (gilbert) to be exact. im sorry i dont have any more info but it can be done definiltye for less than 100 bucks
Old 06-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Way out West

I am definitely doing the work myself. I already took the thing out without much problem. Thanks for the tip on ebay. I guess I never thought to look there because I assumed it would be used parts (I was wrong).